Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 17, 2010, 08:34 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Discussion

MoonGel - Used for vibe & jello dampaning

OK.... So, I stumbled across this stuff last night called "MoonGel" used by drummers to eliminate any unwanted resonance. http://www.rtom.com/moongel.htm I found out this morning that my local music store stocked it for $7.95. So I went in this afternoon and picked up a package and slapped it on the most unforgiving "jello" bird I had running at the moment, the Twin Boom...

I had a real negative attitude driving to the Skunk Works field and actually only flew it once thinking that it was a big waste of time as I could still feel the camera mount slightly vibrating when I throttled up on the ground. I was surprised to see the footage when I got home. The video speaks for itself.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in hopes others will give it a go and either confirm it works or it's a waste of time.

-Tim

MoonGel - Used for vibe & jello dampening. (2 min 7 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2010, 08:55 PM
Brushless
Thanks Tim -What a difference - I just ordered some for a tricopter so I hope it works as good as yours -

Mike
May 17, 2010, 08:57 PM
It's a cheap experiment. Hope it works!
May 17, 2010, 09:35 PM
Pretty significant difference. I couldn't see in the video, are you using a tripod bolt to mount the camera?

Rob D.
May 17, 2010, 09:45 PM
Tim, that is great stuff. Could you show how you used it?
May 17, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hi Rob,

I'll post detailed pics of the mount tomorrow morning... The short answer is yes. It's a quick release shoe plate taken from a cheap tripod found at Wally World. I've been flying with that a little over a year.

-Tim
May 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
Former B52H Crew Chief
Ill agree that it did improve it, but I could still pick out distortion from the 'after' portion. Maybe is just my eyes????
May 18, 2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks Tim, I believe this MoonGel is the icing on the cake, the crowning glory. Going to order some today.
May 18, 2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
OK.... So, I stumbled across this stuff last night called "MoonGel" used by drummers to eliminate any unwanted resonance. http://www.rtom.com/moongel.htm I found out this morning that my local music store stocked it for $7.95. So I went in this afternoon and picked up a package and slapped it on the most unforgiving "jello" bird I had running at the moment, the Twin Boom...

I had a real negative attitude driving to the Skunk Works field and actually only flew it once thinking that it was a big waste of time as I could still feel the camera mount slightly vibrating when I throttled up on the ground. I was surprised to see the footage when I got home. The video speaks for itself.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in hopes others will give it a go and either confirm it works or it's a waste of time.

-Tim

http://vimeo.com/11822743
Have you tried it on your tricopter???
May 18, 2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocontrol1 View Post
Pretty significant difference. I couldn't see in the video, are you using a tripod bolt to mount the camera?

Rob D.
Rob & Quail,

Here are some pics of my setup.

aerofly0610,

I picked my worst plane to try this on. That said, there is/was a lot of pitch moment which is something the HD Hero camera doesn't like. So, yes the after clip is not 100% perfect. I'm just showing the lack of jello that I was getting.

Richie,

I wouldn't go that far yet...

-Tim
May 18, 2010, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Have you tried it on your tricopter???
Nope.... that's still sitting on my shelf.
May 18, 2010, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
Richie,

I wouldn't go that far yet...

-Tim
Believe me, it is for me.

Reason is, I was searching for a Gel similar to this before finding your thread. It never dawn on me to look at the Music Industry where harmonics is a way of life.
May 18, 2010, 09:08 AM
I hope it works for you. Try to find a local music shop before ordering online. Anyone locally selling drums /giving lessons should stock it. I'm finding that it's a pretty standard staple in that circle.
May 18, 2010, 09:09 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Good find and good thinking Tim

I have a few wobbles here and there and this just may eliminate them alltogether. I will order some and give it a whirl.

Mike
May 18, 2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the advise however it will cost me more in Gas verse postage. It is available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/MG4-Moon-Drum-.../dp/B000E6LMR0