May 17, 2010, 07:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Air hogs titan glider bashing/rc conversion thread!!!

Hello All!

My purpose in creating this thread is to centralize all the great ideas and conversions relating to the AIR HOGS TITAN kid's chuck glider - readily available (for now) at target for only $9.99!!!!! I have converted several other chuck gliders and this is by far the best looking, most durable, highest quality, and cheapest glider candidate available. The wings and tail surfaces are thick, smooth, and warp free. Both of my models have clipped wings with dihedral and sweep removed - I did not need to add any additional carbon or support to the wings. My wings are also still removable -- I use the same wing for both of my conversions!

I will begin the thread with my latest conversion. I will also add links to other threads relating to this plane in hopes that others will post their models too!. Let's Go!!!

6/2011 UPDATE:
V2 EDF TRAINER!!!!
My second attempt at converting this Kid's chuck glider into an EDF jet -- and this one is a winner! I may have to build another with a hotter motor and a faster airfoil!...my tribute to the HABU 32!

Builder's note: This build is also the first EDF that I have created that has clean ducting. I now see the light! I will no longer clog up my inlet ducting with wires, ESC's, tape, and foam! Thank you to all that had a hand in helping me come to this realization!

Stats:
Airframe - Air Hogs Titan Glider - available @ Walmart and or Target -- $9.99!!!!
Motor: 4300KV 64mm EDF
ESC: 30A
Lipo: 3S 1300-2200mah 30C
Airframe wt: 16.6oz
AUW:20.6-23.4oz (depending on battery)
WS:31"

Air Hogs Titan Glider - EDF Sport Jet R/C Conversion (7 min 19 sec)

V1 EDF Trainer -- great flyer but not as "pretty":
EDF version inspired by the L-39 and A-4 Skyhawk. Perhaps by attaching some extra foam to the original wing -- clipped with sweep, I could achieve a delta wing -- then it would really resemble a Skyhawk. This model flies beautifully, and is super-duper stable, and almost impossible to stall. It has a 64mm EDF, 50A ESC (only needs 40A), and a 2200 3S 25C lipo. AUW is a little under 22oz. 4 Channels -(A/E/R/T). Rudder is completely ineffective and needs to be modified. All that is left is aesthetic work (turtle deck and hatches to cover electronics) Further body sanding, paint job, and possible landing gear.

I call this my EDF trainer!
AIR HOGS TITAN GLIDER TO RC EDF CONVERSION (9 min 12 sec)
Last edited by SNice; Jun 15, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2010, 08:16 PM
Thread OP
My first:
"Funjet" conversion

Air Hogs Titan Glider RC Funjet Conversion pt 2 (5 min 53 sec)
May 17, 2010, 08:25 PM
Thread OP

Other Titan Glider Threads:

Air Hogs Titan (chuck glider) conversion
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1206083

AIR HOGS TITAN GLIDER to RC 'FUNJET'
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1197961
May 18, 2010, 10:19 AM
Flying high
Great job on the EDF! I did a lot of building this winter so I'm slowing down a bit now and getting out to fly, but soon I'm going to do a full house version. Here is my super easy pusher jet conversion.

Air Hogs Titan to pusher jet
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1241953
May 19, 2010, 06:58 PM
Herk pilot emeritus
OK, I'm agreeable with switching to this thread for the Titan. Especially since you're leading the charge with creative ideas for the Titan, SNice!

I just remaidened my Titan today, in my new twin-motor reconfiguration that I posted about recently in the original Titan topic here. It flew great...the third time's a charm (the third power configuration I've tried, that is)! At last I can say that I have a capable-flying RC plane now with this glider conversion...plenty of power, and all four channels are working well. This was also my first chance to try the rudder I put on it. It really helps! A plane with a lot of dihedral and ailerons-only for turning can be pretty exasperating. I will eventually try taking out most of the dihedral; I just wanted to try the plane "stock" first, to experience the difference. This plane is a real beauty in the air, and the twin motors are pretty cool looking too.

SNice, attached is a photo of how I did my rudder. I tried to make it look good as well as be functional, by tapering it into the existing lines of the airframe, but gave it more surface area by expanding up top.
May 19, 2010, 07:52 PM
Flying high
herk1, how about some shots of the whole airplane? Looks pretty cool, I'd like to see your twin setup.

I got a good amount of flying on mine last weekend. A couple of my friend are going to make ones, it will be fun to see a few of these zipping around! I threw some paint on my jet really quick. I'm not in love with it, but it's better than just white.

I'm going to do a couple of these. I want to do one stock and build as light as possible with just RET to see how good of a glider it can be. I'll probably use a 10 gram outrunner and a 3 cell 500 mAh. I also want to do another one similar to the one I have but with full house controls. I'm intrigued by Snice's EDF version, but I'm not sure if I'll go that route.
May 19, 2010, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
Congrats on the maiden, herk1! More pics! More pics! very interested in the twin setup -- I have never experimented with twin planes. Thanks for the rudder info -- I widened mine and still had little effect. I will follow your lead and extend upward! My dream is to be able to learn to knife edge (if it is possible with this plane).

billwhit - sounds good! looking forward to your future builds! I saw some great ones on your page! The P-40 looks great! I'm really happy with the EDF version so far. It's my EDF trainer. I realize that I have been severely spoiled by my parkjets with vectoring tabs (f22,f16). I'm finally getting used to the fact that there is no propwash on the control surfaces so it is necessary to keep up speed and certain maneuvers need recovery altitude! I did a low altitude loop today that I was unable to recover from and ended up belly slamming into the ground -- the wings popped off an the tip of the nose broke. Other than that -- no damage!
May 20, 2010, 10:27 AM
Flying high
Thanks SNice, the P40 has always been one of my favorites! I did quite a bit of scratch building this winter (even a few more that aren't on my blog yet), so it's kind of nice to have an already built airframe to mess around with. As far as my light glider version goes, I'm pretty positive about it. I've done conversion of the other gliders that have been available, but always had to add supports and gained weight. Since the Titan is so well made, I should be able to just add in my electronics and keep it nice and light.

I do really like your EDF version too! I had played with the idea in my head already, but you pulled it off nicely...could really be an L39 with a little more modding, huh? I've noticed the "no prop wash" tendencies on my pusher as well, I'm kind of wondering how my friends will do with it.

Can you give me an idea of your motor and prop on your funjet. When do my "full house" control version I may go with a pusher again. The one I have does move around nicely, but I may want to give it even a little more...
May 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
Thread OP
Yes, I've been bitten by the build bug as well! I couldn't agree with you more on quality of the airframe!

Yes, the original inspiration was the L-39! Right now it's kind of a hybrid between an L-39 and an A-4 Skyhawk... If I could just fashion a detachable delta wing...hmm

The motor on the upgraded "funjet" version is the "grayson hobbies supersonic parkjet V2" it's a 2212-06. The prop is a 6x4 APC and a 1500mah 20C 3S lipo, 30A ESC. This combo gives about 24oz of thrust and pulls under 25A. This system worked great until yesterday -- I had it on my F35 parkjet and one of the motor magnets came loose. Hopefully I can glue it back and keep this little motor running!
May 20, 2010, 12:13 PM
Flying high
Cool, thanks! I may have to pick one of those up...
May 20, 2010, 04:24 PM
Herk pilot emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
herk1, how about some shots of the whole airplane? Looks pretty cool, I'd like to see your twin setup.

I got a good amount of flying on mine last weekend. A couple of my friend are going to make ones, it will be fun to see a few of these zipping around! I threw some paint on my jet really quick. I'm not in love with it, but it's better than just white.

I'm going to do a couple of these. I want to do one stock and build as light as possible with just RET to see how good of a glider it can be. I'll probably use a 10 gram outrunner and a 3 cell 500 mAh. I also want to do another one similar to the one I have but with full house controls. I'm intrigued by Snice's EDF version, but I'm not sure if I'll go that route.
billwhit - OK, attached are a couple more shots of my Titan twin, including one showing how I channeled the wires cleanly into the fuse compartments I made.

My first Titan configuration was pretty much what you are describing...i.e., a very lightweight build. It had a 14.5g inrunner motor and a 610 mAh 2S battery...so that's just a tad more weight than your plan. (I had previously experimented with that 14.5g inrunner on the same plane that I used a 10g outrunner on...it has just a bit more punch than the 10g) On the Titan, that amount of power was just OK. In a straight climb, it could get some altitude reasonably quickly...but when I had to do some maneuvering due to space issues, or fight a little wind, it would become tough to maintain altitude and keep the plane where I wanted it. So I found myself wanting more power. It seems to me that the problem with using really lightweight, low-power micro gear on the Titan is that the Titan is so big that the foam parts alone weigh a bit over seven ounces, and that's already pushing it on the amount of weight that micro gear like that can handle with authority.
May 20, 2010, 04:46 PM
Flying high
Understood! Of course, I'll be using a 3 cell battery which can get a bit more power out of one of those (something like 8 Oz with a 5x3). The idea for this build would basically be a powered glider...I wont need authority, just enough to get it up there and cut the power. Sometimes I find flying slow as rewarding as flying fast. I've done this before with the "Airstreamer" foam glider and it worked pretty well. Here is a quick video of it with the 10 gram outrunner. I actually had ailerons on this one as well as reinforcements. I'm pretty sure I could get the Titan lighter than this one was:

Glider Conversion (2 min 6 sec)

And hey, if it just isn't doing it for me, I can switch to a 20 gram outrunner and get much more pull with only an extra 10 grams. Here is my airstreamer with the 20 gram motor:

Gliders Gliding (2 min 1 sec)

It has plenty of authority...I'll probably do a version like this too but I am curious about a super light floater. I expect the Titan to out perform the airstreamer from what I've experienced so far.

Thanks for the pics and info. I'd like to help keep this thread alive as it's fun to throw out ideas for each other and I think there is a lot of fun to be had in this $10 airframe!
May 20, 2010, 08:43 PM
Herk pilot emeritus
Wow, that 20g version was pretty wild! I take it that was also on 3S. 20g motors is what I have now on my twin Titan, and it's not that peppy...but I'm using 2S, and conservatively propped to boot (to take it easy on the small battery I have in it at the moment).

I gave the plane more of a workout today. I tested turning the plane with rudder-only for a few turns, and it worked just fine...once I retrained my fingers to use left stick for banking and then back to the right stick for pulling thru the turn with elevator. I tried to do an aileron roll, and it didn't work out...due to a combination of a slow roll rate (I didn't clip my Titan's wings!), and the extent that my Titan wants to drop the nose when banked. I did do a loop though, and it was effortless and pretty.
May 21, 2010, 10:29 AM
Flying high
Yeah, pretty much all I use these days is 3 cells.

I recently made on order from HC that I'm waiting on. I ordered up one of the 3000kv 26 gram HXT outrunners. I've never used one before, but I'm wondering how it might perform for a pusher on one of these. Should be interesting to try out, if I can get more out of it than the one on my pusher Titan than it may be good for my full house version.

Have you thought about mixing some rudder in with the ailerons? Maybe it might help with the roll?
May 21, 2010, 11:22 AM
Thread OP
Billwhit -- Great flying!!!!

So I extended my rudder very similar to herk1's. The result was a little better -- a very llittle yaw but a lot of roll in the opposite input direction. My rudder is much higher due to the ducting so I completely understand the roll! If I had propwash, I'm sure the rudder size would be more than enough. Maybe if I extend it back more?? Other Edf jets like the parkzone habu (knife edge capable) don't seem to have oversized rudders. Any thoughts, gentlemen?

On one of the other threads, someone posted a slope glider version!!! Flew great! I've always been intrigued and amazed by slope soarers! Hopefully he will post on this thread as well. I would also like to keep this thread alive as it is more generic and encompasses all of our conversions!

Quick Reply