Aug 05, 2012, 05:27 PM
has anybody seen the Este Jet, It would be a fun one to modifye.

doug
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery
has anybody seen the Este Jet, It would be a fun one to modifye.

doug
ANy links? I used to convert toy planes, like the Airhog Stormlauncher and Fastlane Shadowcaster (40mm EDF with elevon). They could be trickier to play with, due to the small wingspan. But a lot of them are now in EPP, so durable. With nowadays brushless and cheap small servo, there would be more fun from this work.
Aug 05, 2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you Doug for the feedback.
Aug 05, 2012, 06:56 PM
I seen the Estes jet at the local HS but it is not in their catalogue yet, these are pretty cool.

http://www.estesrockets.com/media//c...12_Catalog.pdf
page 16

doug
Aug 05, 2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter
Question Guys: With a Tractor motor/Prop configuration, to compensate for Torque, one would add Right and downward angle to the motor mount of about 3 degrees I am told. What is the compensation for a pusher system?

Thank you.
My local guru, who has several pusher jets, says 0-0. Pushers do not need compensation for P effect as the propwash does not roll ver the surfaces. Torque is a factor but only when you first apply throttle. For my F18 pusher it's a simple underhand toss at 1/2 throttle and away she goes.
Aug 05, 2012, 07:58 PM
Thank you Trroadster, to be honest here, I know Multi-rotor copters very well but Fixed wings are new to me especially pusher props. Yes, I should have just started with something known to fly.
Aug 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trroadster
My local guru, who has several pusher jets, says 0-0. Pushers do not need compensation for P effect as the propwash does not roll ver the surfaces. Torque is a factor but only when you first apply throttle. For my F18 pusher it's a simple underhand toss at 1/2 throttle and away she goes.
I have a profile F-23, wingspan is around 20". The motor is a little aft cg, so it is a pusher. Yes, 0-0, so easy to setup and flies great since a couple of years ago. Somehow the flat surfaces ahead and behind the prop counteract the torque, or maybe the flat surface behind the motor uses the propwash.

But my Titan-conversion F-4E and F7U both need thrust angle adjustment to fly straight and level.
Aug 05, 2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery
I seen the Estes jet at the local HS but it is not in their catalogue yet, these are pretty cool.

http://www.estesrockets.com/media//c...12_Catalog.pdf
page 16

doug
I like the cool design for the 3rd plane on this page, maybe we can convert Titan to that design:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...anufacturer=79
Aug 05, 2012, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303
I have a profile F-23, wingspan is around 20". The motor is a little aft cg, so it is a pusher. Yes, 0-0, so easy to setup and flies great since a couple of years ago. Somehow the flat surfaces ahead and behind the prop counteract the torque, or maybe the flat surface behind the motor uses the propwash.

But my Titan-conversion F-4E and F7U both need thrust angle adjustment to fly straight and level.
Edwin
Is there any build info on these planes?
Aug 06, 2012, 07:53 PM
You got me cornered Trroadster!

This is the big fella that kept me busy for a while, Multplex cargo converted B-17, quad brushless, AUW over 5 lbs. Not quite finished with more scale stuff: nose cone, motor cowls, belly gun turrets, back gun turrets, waist guns,.... So far still have some landing gear issue: even tough 3mm wire can't stand the floaty landing, waiting for 4mm motor shaft as strut...

Will revisit my F4U first right after.
Aug 06, 2012, 08:02 PM
Beautiful!
Aug 06, 2012, 08:21 PM

Recall of my F4U Cutlass build

Sorry guys, been talking about my F7U for a while, finally got chance recalling some of the build tips. Built her last summer, before the pusher F-4E Phantom. Here are some highlights:
  • Stock fuse was cut in half before hogging out foam to make interior chambers;
    Motor at the rear end needs some reinforcement, CF rod or bamboo skewer through the aft fuse, and the firewall was reinforced too
    post 285 on this page:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...527072&page=19

Power setup: Towerpro 2409-12 1600kv motor with APC 7x5 prop, 25-30Amp ESC, 1000-1600mah 3s battery. AUW around 20 oz.

Fast roll rate and very maneuvable, nearly unlimited vertical, glide well in landing.

Will update this post.
Last edited by edwen303; Aug 06, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Aug 06, 2012, 10:43 PM
snokefpv
Really nice Edwen. Gave me good ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Aug 07, 2012, 10:49 PM
That's a great F4U conversion, edwen -- even more impressive seing the close-ups and detail shots!

2nd flight for the Sport Jet V3 -- almost got her dialed in....I can't believe how sensitive the elevator is!!! Very little deflection is needed as canbeseen in the video. Looking forward to getting comfortable with her so I can really open her up! This plane is a lot faster and more maneuverable than I expected - and I'm only on 3S!

AIR HOGS TITAN SPORT JET EDF CONVERSION - 2ND FLIGHT - SNICE RC (5 min 6 sec)
Aug 08, 2012, 02:59 AM
Nice flight video SNice! Love the sound of 70mm EDF, and it is only 3s, amazing! Looks like she just like the speed

I installed a 4400kv motor to 70mm EDF, but the airframe is an F-117, the scale yet draggy exhaust made her fly like a brick, barely staying in the air with 3s (~40? Amp full throttle).