Mar 07, 2012, 09:59 PM
Okay, back to Flutter-By flying!

Keith
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2012, 10:47 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
I am ready, as soon as the wind quits.

Maybe tomorrow afternoon. Ice on the lake has moved out from shore, so I won't be on the ice. Have to go to the airport to fly or my property.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Mar 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead
I am ready, as soon as the wind quits.

Maybe tomorrow afternoon. Ice on the lake has moved out from shore, so I won't be on the ice. Have to go to the airport to fly or my property.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Got in a couple Flutter-By flights in between rain showers today. It's suppose to be too windy to haul rocks tomorrow, so I decided to get a head start on the weekend!

Keith
Mar 10, 2012, 07:12 PM
What a pleasant surprise - I awoke this morning to find that our Purple Martins had made their 2000 mile flight back to our nesting boxes. Now I have my Flutter-By flying friends back again!

Keith
Mar 13, 2012, 10:58 AM
OK, guys, I am back in the sadle!

How are all of you? I've been soo busy with the new business.....but I wanted to pop on here and say hi, see how you are all doing, see if there are any new FlutterBy owners on here i haven't met yet.

I hope the coffee is hot!
Mar 13, 2012, 11:01 AM
Well, I might as well jump right back in, I have been thinking that with a well balanced prop this O'l plane might be a great FPV rig. I love how we can slow it down, stable in winds too.

It would have to be a light setup. Even with the prop out front, I am sure it would still be worth it!

I am looking into FPV multicopters (non commercial use) - it got me thinking about my FlutterB
Mar 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
Welcome back, Magnumb! Hopefully you have enjoyed as mild a Winter as our Flutter-By owners in the Northern, and the Mid-Western parts of the U.S.

Several of us Flutter-By owners were able to go to E-Fest in Champaign, Illinois last month and represent this great plane. As far as how many NEW Flutter-By owners there are, and where they live, I can't help you there. I do know that you are STILL the only Flutter-By owner in Canada. I almost forgot - a gentleman in England ordered one last month. Like you, he has the honor of owning the first (and only) Flutter-By in his country. That is too cool!

Hopefully, you will be able to get in some stick time now, if your schedule will allow it. Remember, we've got to keep the rust knocked off those sticks and our fingers! LOL!

Take care, buddy. Try to stay in touch!

Keith
Mar 14, 2012, 08:42 PM
Electric or Bust!
Can't believe I got to go night flying in March with the temp still in the mid 60's with zero wind. Of course the Flutter-by came with me to join in the fun.
Mar 15, 2012, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet
Can't believe I got to go night flying in March with the temp still in the mid 60's with zero wind. Of course the Flutter-by came with me to join in the fun.
Tell me about it, Scott. We're getting in some mighty fine Flutter-By flying in the Eastern part of the State too!

Keith
Mar 16, 2012, 08:29 PM
Checkertail Clan
I managed some quality time this afterrnoon/evening. Temperature was about 70 with some wind which faded away near sunset. Best flying day so far this year!
Mar 17, 2012, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP
I managed some quality time this afterrnoon/evening. Temperature was about 70 with some wind which faded away near sunset. Best flying day so far this year!
Oh man, I know all you R/C flyers in the Mid-West have enjoyed this milder than usual Winter, Dave - I know I would have. It all adds up to one thing - more Flutter-By flying time!

Keith
Mar 17, 2012, 06:06 PM
Wow, it has been nice all around. This is one of the warmest, lowest precip winters we have ever had.

So right now I am switching out my receiver on my FlutterBy for a smaller unit and moving my ar6200 onto a new multicopter project for FPV.

I think while I get a handle on the quad I will see if I can practice FPV on the FlutterBy, I can't imagine a more stable, light, fun platform than this plane. We shall see though.

Btw, I wanted to ask, where on the wing is the CG? I can't remember.

LtColBryan thanks for the warm words, it's nice to reconnect, sadly it will be off and on, but it's nice to come back and have people still remember me after all these months.

Summer is coming fast here, I hope it means a longer flying season and more chance to connect with my precious flutterBy

I trust Uncle Jack is doing well (term of FlutterBy endearment). Please pass on my warmest regards!
Mar 17, 2012, 09:50 PM
Magnum, I was lucky enough to be able to make the 24 hour round trip to the home of Mr. Flutter-By himself in February, and attend E-Fest in Champaign, Illinois with him, and several other members of our Flutter-By family. That is the last time I saw Jack, and he was doing very well at that time.

Representing the Flutter-By with pride in Champaign, along with the Designer/Builder, were bglasa, 325FGP, skyjet, myself and a 13 year old young man named Jesse. Jesse lives about an hour North of Jack, and only recently started flying, yet he is already doing things that took a lot of us years to learn. We are all wishing him the best with this hobby. In addition to being good on the sticks, Jesse has a family that is behind his endeavors 100%. It's so wonderful to see that as well - We expect him to go far. Oh yeah, his family makes some great Maple Syrup too!

Take care of yourself, Magnumb. We understand that you're going to continue to be busy. All we ask is that when you pop your head up for that occasional breath of air, shoot us a post to let us know you're still doing well up there! Take care.

Keith
Mar 17, 2012, 10:55 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Magnum,
Glad you are back for a short spell.

Great weather here, time to get out and fly. I did some float flying the other night, earliest ever I have flown off the water. Last year I was flying Flutter-By's off the ice on the lake. Now it is all liquid. So no Flutter-By's off the lake.

Lots of work around the house and at our property, the storm on the 2 nd of March was a monster. But now, what a change. Taking the Flutter-by with me tomorrow to our property to fly out there.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Mar 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
Checkertail Clan
I was hoping to run into Jesse & crew at a swap meet last weekend but I never saw him. Hopefully he'll show up for NEFI in June.

Quick Reply