This thread is privately moderated by SkyCadet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 14, 2010, 09:20 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Thread OP
Data

ParkZone Super Decathlon BL mods

Recently got a PZ SuperDec BL from a local Vendor, mine is a PnP version, sans radio.

Installed a Spektrum AR500 5ch sport receiver, and so far after 4 flights, no problems with it. I hear that some of the Ar500s have been troublesome, but no issues with mine, even at a 1km range [Google Earth verified!].

The following Mods make the plane better than stock:

1) Straightening tail section and securing with Graphite Epoxy [GE, 1:1:1, using 6-minute variety]. Holds tail VERY securely, with only a tiny bit of flex (intended), and very little weight issue. (My tail section was ~10° off to the right/Starboard prior to this)

2) Cut off rear extension of tail below fuselage [which is in lieu of a wheel]. Made smooth, then drilled 2x 1mm holes to secure a Dubro 926 tail wheel. also secured with GE.

3) Used Cadmium Yellow Acrylic paint to match the yellow on the Dec BL. Covered the sections that had GE on them [were black/grey on curing]

4) Coated ALL lifting surfaces [exc. where needing flex for control] with 30% dilute white glue [weldbond] - 2 light coats with a foamed brush. Dries clear.

5) 50% White glue on wing tips, outside under sections and leading edges of all surfaces - only enough to smoothly cover cleanly. Dries clear.

6) 100% weldbond on upper and lower attachment clevices for struts to re-inforce where they meet the wing. Also added small amount to where gear sits in slots to prevent movement during rough landings.

7) See data below - Replaced stock prop with 3-bladed MAS (master airscrew) 8x6x3 propeller. Leaves an extra 1/4" or so extra ground clearance for landing, and pulls WAY better - runs smoother and quieter at ALL RPMs than stock prop. Also better slow fly/landing approach control over 2-blade, IMO. Max RPM with 8x6x3 prop is 6150, vs 6450 with stock prop. Loading seems nominal, and proven with tests below. Was told by local shop and by ParkZone that this was not recommended use due to potential overloading of the system. measurements below and tests say otherwise!

8) Also painted the spinner and gear struts ( see final images)

Static 3-blade MAS 8x6x3 test runs with ParkZone Super Decathlon BL!

The MAS 3-bladed 8x6x3 ran awesome. Here are my results - (video is long, so view what you want!):

8x6x3 Static Test1.wmv (9 min 42 sec)

8.5 minute test run, simulated a 12s climbout, various throttle settings, 3-4 min cruise, etc.

Power - 56.3W peak [during first climbout sim]
Vbatt (0sec) = 8.34V, during no load/pre-flight servo check
Vbatt (520s) = 7.61V, during no load/ sim landing after test run
Vbatt min under peak = 6.73V [again, during 100% throttle during sim'd climbout under "flight"]

I (peak) = 7.69A, during first climb, usually 6.8-6.9A during normal [100% Throttle] run after first throttle up; WELL within 10A nominal/13A peak of stock ESC/batteries!!!
I (55% throttle/4500RPM) ~ 2.3A; I (75% throttle/cruise/5000RPM) ~ 3.25A
RPM (max) w/ MAS8x6x3: 6150; RPM (Max) [tested on stock prop] = 6450

After 8.5 minute test: 3.1Wh consumed, 0.422Ah used up.

I'm using Park zone 2S 7.4V 800mAh lipos, 10C cont. draw, 15C burst

That would put me at 12-13 minutes safe time, when putzing about, 10-12 min doing sport flying or 3D aerobatics, assuming the loading is same as non-static.

anyone know approx what one should see under real flight loading on prop, etc.? I suspect that at least 10-15% load reduction should occur when flying, as the prop is moving relative to the air.

Used a "Watt's Up" meter for the test - definitely a worth-while purchase, since now I know that 12 minutes flying time will not be a problem for the batteries or the craft! Motor was only warm to touch after run, battery warm not hot at all. Est. maybe 40C if that.

Sweet! My 3-BLADE MAS prop is a winner for sure... Won't buy anything else!

(Dr.) Darren - always curious...

Update! After 77 flights without crashing, and over 13h of flight time, my dec needed some work on the gear struts, as they were starting to crack near the slots. I used Graphite epoxy and cadmium yellow to affix the struts and get them more solid. Also, replaced the stock gear with Dubro 1.75" wheels on the stock shafts.

Good to go!
Last edited by SkyCadet; Aug 22, 2010 at 02:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2010, 11:33 AM
I am loking at this or the Art Tech dec. I have read the landing gear is very weak on this PZ model. How has the craft flown for you?
Jun 17, 2010, 11:59 PM
Thread OP
Hi! Actually, it is good gear, the only issue is that it slides into the body. I used some dilute white glue to adhere it, as this still holds well, but will permit me to remove the gear struts should the gear get damaged for any reason.

I have had a few harder landings out of 24 flights so far, one bounce. Most are very soft and smooth, nearly 3-point. The only issue was one gear moving slightly out of its slot, hence I now use the glue. you could use CA too.

The gear can handle fairly rough grassy fields, even 3" slightly uneven ground. (from my experience).

I hope that this helps. The PZ motor is awesome. The model flies very nicely.

Darren/SC
Jun 18, 2010, 08:49 AM

Decathlon

I flew a PZ Decathlon BL for a year or so, until one of my friends put it into the ground at high speed. It was a great flier, but I'll second the comment about weak landing gear. The gear themselves are nice- sturdy aluminum struts- but the way they connect to the molded plastic airframe inside of the fuselage shell is problematic. I flew off of rough grass fields, and it would only take a couple not so smooth landings to crack the plastic airframe, then the gear would never be very solid after that. I ended up flying without gear most of the time, which actually worked very well.

The main thing to be aware of with the Decathlon BL is that it is constructed using PZ's older construction technique, not the newer Z-foam. As a result, it's not easily repairable after a major crash. Don't get me wrong, it'll absorb a lot of punishment, but it's not like being able to glue together a T-28 after a major impact.
Jun 18, 2010, 04:41 PM
Thread OP

Mods...

On my Blog, I have some info that really helps with the Dec to make it much tougher. Folks could do even more [wood/carbon fiber spars inside the body, gluing the gear on semipermently, etc.

Dilute white glue applied to the foam really adds a LOT of strength to the plane. My tail is adhered using Graphite epoxy, and then color matched with Cadmium Yellow acrylic paint - the lemon yellow is a near-perfect match!

Darren
Jun 18, 2010, 04:45 PM
Thread OP

The Art-Tech Dec...

Looks to be a nice little plane too - and 4channel!

However, the brushed motor system and lighter weight probably put this into a different league to the PZ Dec BL, IMO.

Darren/SkyCadet
Aug 23, 2010, 12:57 PM
Thread OP

UPDATE on Dec BL gear...

After 77 flights, I needed to re-inforce my gear after multiple landings in heavy/thick grass fields.

Seriously, no worries - used white glue into the slots to prevent any movement internally. Covered with fuselage and undercarriage with GE - graphite epoxy 1:1:1 [hardner:resin:graphite - 6-minute epoxy variety].

Covered the cured GE with cadmium Yellow acrylic paint to match the Dec, and also replaced the stock pants and wheels with Dubro 1.75" wheels to allow heavier landings. See attached images.

SkyCadet

Quick Reply