My 57" P-51 Mustang Build - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 14, 2010, 08:35 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Build Log

My 57" P-51 Mustang Build

This is my build of the... FMS EPO 57" P-51D Mustang "Shangri-La" / "Auntie Samantha"

My intention here is to illustrate the numerous mods I have performed on my P-51D Mustang.

NOTE:
I'm constantly Up-Dating this page so feel free to check it out to see what I've been up to lately!

I won't be getting into all the technical details relating to motors, ESC's, BEC's...etc. as these subjects are covered quite eloquently and in depth by fellow builders such as:
...JBC/John, one of the "Boys" from OZ, who has posted a rather entertaining video of his "Infamous Bomb Drops"...it's a "HOOT!"
...LICobra/Tony shows how he did his Flaps & Elevator mods, you have to see his "Detroit Miss" (His proficiency to detail is impeccable)
...TheOldGuard/Dave has a very informative posting of what other builders have done with their 'Stangs
...Tom Hunt and his "FMS P-51D to P-51B conversion" which he illustrates how to convert the wing to a 1-piece removable wing
...ChrisF/Chris, another one of the "OZ Boys", has a very informative Blog where he illustrates how to prep a foamie for painting. He too, has a version of his one-piece wing mod on his thread "FMS 60 inch foam P-51D".
...Beltpilot/Bernhard who addresses many of the issues associated with this new P-51. His "Must-Do's" / "Should-Do's" & "Can-Do's" is a must read! He has also started a thread "FMS Giant Warbirds - Participate in their development" which is an open discussion on the development & improvements we, as consumers, builders & flyers might offer FMS for any of their future Giant Warbird projects.

I'll leave all that "Tech Talk" to the Pros, and I'll just concentrate on what I do best.....Modify, Fabricate & Build!

I purchased my P-51 back in Feb. 2010 from Philip at PW-RC. It came with the flaps already installed, both sets of 4-Blade and 2-Blade assemblies & retracts with the steerable/modifiable retracting tail wheel.

I am currently running the TGY AerodriveXp 42 SK Series 42-50 650Kv / 1150w, with the option of installing the TGY AerodriveXp 46 SK Series 50-55 580Kv / 1580w at a later date.

ESC: Pentium 60A w/3A BEC
BEC: Castle Creations 10A
Reciever: Futaba 2.4Ghz R617FS
Quanum 2.4Ghz Telemetry System
Navigation Lights..........RC Lander / Hunter series
LG / BD sequencer.......MicroGear
Landing Gear..............DSR2-46T Titan Electronic Retracts / Titan Tricycle Version
75 gal. Drop Tanks......
500 LB. Bombs...........

Servos:
Elevator....................HiTech HS-82MG
Rudder/Tail Wheel......Hextronic MG 14
Ailerons....................HXT900 9g
Flaps........................HXT900 9g 1 servo reversed.
Bay Doors.................HXT900 9g

UP-DATE 7/22/2010: Here is a video of my most recent "walk around" of the "Mustang" showing, what I hope is the final assembly?

P 51 Mustang Walk Around (1 min 55 sec)

The Real Deal!!
P-51 Mustang takeoff, flyby, landing and shutdown (2 min 2 sec)

Two Very Low P-51 Passes.mp4 (0 min 35 sec)

P-51 Mustang super low pass (0 min 25 sec)

P51 Mustang Buzzed Us! (0 min 9 sec)

P-51 Low Pass (0 min 27 sec)

P-51 Mustangs in the air - The P-51 Mustang Video - "Sketches of Freedom" (4 min 6 sec)

UP-DATE 5/30/2010: "Photoshoot!"

UP-DATE 7/22/2010: Photoshoot 2 "Drop Tanks!"
Last edited by Sandancer; Jan 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2010, 09:38 AM
jbc
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Great work on the blog mate definitely one of the best build blogs I've seen on RCgroups I reckon FMS should pay per click just to have a look ok so now that's it for the Mustang build, how many other planes did you say you had in your hangar that need blogging???
May 25, 2010, 08:15 AM
Hi Sandancer

Fantastic work!!
The highlights are the retractable doors of main gears and their sequence system.
The system is pretty cool!
I would like to see your P-51 flying videos.

I also made such a multi functional EP plane about 5 years ago.
If I had found such sequence system when I built FSK zero-fighter, I would set in that!! I’ll introduce my FSK zero-fighter using photos and flying videos.

Thank you.
Latest blog entry: Fly side by side
Jul 27, 2012, 03:48 AM
Doesn't the EPO mean foam?