May 14, 2010, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
Download

Free plans + build log - F6F Hellcat (Rev C plans released!)

I was looking around for different free flight plans for a Hellcat to build as an r/c model but I didn't find any that fit my needs, there are no suitable plans that are fully adapted to this. So I decided to draw my own plans!

So go ahead and download the free plans that I've made. Yes, they're absolutely free, as long as it's for personal, non commercial use! And please be so kind and post build pictures in this thread if you're building it - I've spent hours and hours making these plans so I would be really happy if you could do this small favour in return.

For radio gear, I'd suggest to use as light gear as possible. And also as light balsa as possible. But if you're on a budget then regular 6 g servos and "heavier" stuff works. The model only flies a bit faster then .

The transfer sheets that come with the drawings are supposed to be printed out on a laser printer and hot-ironed onto balsa sheets. The thickness is stated on each sheet (but mirrored so you'll have to read backwards ). I've also heard that acetone works good for laser printed papers. For inkjet, I don't know actually. Never tried it.

Anyway. Hope you enjoy these free plans! And please send me a PM or post in this thread, if you find any problem or fault in the drawing.

Edit 2010-06-12: Rev B plans released! Some "bugs" were fixed and some minor things were changed!

Edit 2010-07-13: Here's how the first prototype turned out!

Edit 2010-07-19: Rev C plans released! Now I'm starting to think that all the major bugs are sorted! If you for some reason would like to have an older set of plans, please PM me and I'll send them to you.

Edit 2010-07-24:
Rev C updated, is now Rev C-1. See post #125

Edit 2010-09-04: The CG position has now been tested more thoroughly and the conclusion is that it needs to be further forward. From the front marking on the Rev C-1 plans, go forward about 5 mm. This spot gives really nice performance.
Last edited by Truckerboy; Sep 04, 2010 at 09:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2010, 07:09 PM
Does this help? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/faq....b3_attachments
May 14, 2010, 09:09 PM
Addicted to building...
I fully suport your idea. Didn't check the Guillows site, but I have a Guillows 17 1/2 wingspan model that is not cheap like the 16" models they sell. This one is lazer cut. Heard it makes good R/C conversion, but I would substitute lots of the wood. This plan has the parts drawn on it for easy conversion to CAD. I'm guessing they are different? Have you seen it?

Anyway, love to follow along with your thread and good luck!

Fred
May 15, 2010, 04:17 AM
Thread OP
groundfx, thanks - I realize I wasn't very clear in my explanation as to why it didn't work. I already knew how to do it but for some reason the "manage attachments" button never showed up. Maybe it's something with the browser because now I'm using another computer and the button shows up. Well I'll post a picture of my progress in a few minutes!

Freddie B, is it the WW1 models like old biplanes and such? I've seen some of those but never looked closely at the kits. I don't think they make any of the "classic" guillows models as laser cut.
Last edited by Truckerboy; May 15, 2010 at 04:58 AM.
May 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
Thread OP
Here's a quick test where I tried to iron on a few parts on to a sheet of balsa. Works pretty well!
May 15, 2010, 11:21 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerboy
Here's a quick test where I tried to iron on a few parts on to a sheet of balsa. Works pretty well!
That's a great idea. You can run an inkjet printer on the "best" setting to put the most extra ink on the paper to transfer with an iron.
May 15, 2010, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
So Inkjet works too? That's good. I'm using a laser printer and that seems to work fine.
May 15, 2010, 04:59 PM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Inkjet doesn't work in my experience, but photocopies do, but (again a but..) only the older ones that take the powdered toner. I have heard though that if you use pure alcohol on a rag rubbed through from the other side you can disolve inkjet ink and transfer it.
May 15, 2010, 06:11 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
That transfer looks good, tnx ungn I will try the "best" in printer settings dialog box.
May 15, 2010, 07:23 PM
Thread OP
Update:
Some more progress, fuselage side view and top view is basically done. Stabilisers are done. Now I need to draw the wings and radio gear . I'm getting there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildweasel
Inkjet doesn't work in my experience, but photocopies do, but (again a but..) only the older ones that take the powdered toner. I have heard though that if you use pure alcohol on a rag rubbed through from the other side you can disolve inkjet ink and transfer it.
I've heard that too. It doesn't work on laser printings though..
May 15, 2010, 08:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
If inkjet doesn't work on the "best" setting, I know what will work... Print on label sheet backing (the paper thats left when all of the labels have been peeled off)

This should transfer all the ink. Be careful not to smudge it.
May 15, 2010, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN
If inkjet doesn't work on the "best" setting, I know what will work... Print on label sheet backing (the paper thats left when all of the labels have been peeled off)

This should transfer all the ink. Be careful not to smudge it.
Just to add to this, you can also use transparancy sheets. The clear plastic sheets used to make overhead projector transparancys. They are fairly inexpensive and since they are clear, it makes it very easy to line it up just right on the wood. Inkjet ink doesnt dry well on these, and it will rub right off with a little pressure.
I like this method when working with very thin (1/32") balsa. If there is any moisture in your iron, or even enough in the air, the iron method can warp thin wood, just something to keep in mind. Ive used both methods.
-Mark
May 16, 2010, 08:13 AM
Addicted to building...
Great info on transfering plans, and that is an art in its self!

Plans looking great so far, lot's of work I'm sure. I might volenteer to alpa build a test ship only time is tight now with the season change. Would depend on turn around time.

Again looking great.

Fred
May 16, 2010, 01:58 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I think I might have a early plan ready in a couple of days. I'm working right now on the wing and after that there is just some smaller details left. I'd be really happy if you want to "alpha build" one (although I think I'll have my alpha build ready much faster) .
May 16, 2010, 06:17 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
I had wondered about using the transparancy sheets but thought the heat would deform them.

Quick Reply