Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 01, 2010, 07:51 PM
Steve,
working on the DH camera battery needs to be charge...waiting for a 50-75w motor to come in. The DH is a cute little bugger!

Another easy tranfsformation is an SE-5, basically change the VT & HT outline and it already has the boxy front end.

Will take some pics as soon as camera battery charges.

Ralph

PS Built per plans only change was I used 3/16 x 3/8 spruce for cabane struts...no liteply on hand and easier.
Last edited by Ralph A. D'Amelio; Jun 02, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2010, 12:56 PM
Nice build Ralph! She sure looks cute and its always interesting to see the different paint schemes builders put on a sports model. The spruce cabanes look good and only need slightly more accuracy in construction than the ply ones. Think I may steal that idea for the next bipe I build after the Gere Sport.

Your motor choice sounds fine, have you bulk ordered a box full to keep your mini aircraft factory going?

I'm running the same combo as the Turbulent etc. I deliberately sized the model to get reasonable aerobatics. The takeoff in the video is about 2/3 throttle with full chat needed for loops or barrel rolls using full rudder throw. The rolling touch and goes need a touch more throtle than the low wingers which is probably the drag of a bipe.

UK weather was typical for a bank holiday, wet and windy on Sat/Sun but holiday Monday was perfect to log a batch of flights on the DB. Think its my favourite small model and has now logged up 25 flights of 10 minute duration. Reckon that adds up to over 4 hours of air time! All the touch and goes are showing as wear on the foam wheels.

Good luck with the maiden when the motor arrives.

Steve

PS. Yes the SE-5 was on my short list of models to change the DB into......but I got to leave you some projects. Now where's that Fokker DVII 3 view to have a dogfight with your SE-5 around the lamposts in the street.
Jun 02, 2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the kind words .... you are costing me a lot of $$$.

Wouldn't a dogfight beteeen the SE-5 and DVII-3 be something else. I have about enough depron to do the SE5....you can cram a lot of detail up front.

Thats a lot of airtime, what I like about this size I can fly it on the street for T&G or in the backyard...

It was a beautiful day today and the lawn freahly cut so I took a few more pics. My good friend will get a big surprise when I present him with the HB.

Thanks for you effort.

Ralph

Keep the good and inspirational work going......
Jun 03, 2010, 07:01 AM
How have you done the rib and aileron markings? Is that paint or trim strips?

Wish I hadn't been so lazy and fitted the pilot on mine.
Jun 03, 2010, 07:51 AM
Steve,
The markings are done with a black pen , not to dark, and buy a box of artist colored crayons. Shadow with a darker color same as base color e.g. orange paint, dark orange shadow. I go nuts with this method on my pusher jets.

Ralph.
Jun 03, 2010, 06:09 PM

SE-5 Found in Aerodrome

Look what someome took a picture of and the conversation went something like

Hey Pop, isn't that an SE-5? Yes son, some one from across the pond is restoring it. It was Reggie Boswell Billingsly-Worth plane during the Great War.

Geez I got too much time on my hands

PS the HB maiden fine after I fix a misalign rudder......looks great in the air. I need to get a camera hat so I can take some pics & videos

Ralph
Jun 03, 2010, 08:36 PM
TonyS
Ralph,

Your SE5 is looking great. I look forward to the end result.

I am also impressed with the "saw horse" support you are using to cradle the fuselage. A truly subtle and superb touch!!

TonyS
Jun 03, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hey TonyS

Thanks, good eyes and you get the point as well.
it just seem so appropriate after looking at sites of people restoring old treasured airplanes. I hope Steve gets a kick out of it as well.

Ralph
Jun 04, 2010, 12:47 AM
Great news on the maiden flight Ralph!

I can't believe it, you are ahead of me (just) on building my new Gere Sport vs your new SE-5.

I agree with Tony, with a little more staging of the background scenery, you could have RCG believing that you a building a full size replica in depron!
Jun 19, 2010, 12:28 PM
jclassic1
I have been looking for a reasonably sized bipe to build and this one is just the job.Very limited experience with flying only RET foamies so far but feel about ready for something different.Just happen to have a couple of sheets of grey depron waiting to be used so it looks like I will be joining in the fun.

Thanks Gere

John
Jun 20, 2010, 01:56 AM
John

Good luck with the build, if you have any issues just ask.

Don't worry about the lack of ailerons, she flies just great on 3 channels. Mine has logged 38 flights or over 6 hours of airtime and Ralphs model proves that it wasn't a fluke.

Here's my Turbulent also on RET

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1202618

And my Fly Baby Dart

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1197451

The full plan was sized to be the same as a full sheet of white depron (grey sheet are usually larger), i.e. 1000mm x 800mm or 40" x 28" and it only needs about 2/3 of a sheet for a kit of parts.

The construction of a Gere Sport based on the DB has stalled for a few weeks but I made some more progress yesterday.

Steve
Jun 20, 2010, 09:06 AM
jclassic1
I am looking forward to trying this one.I will cut the parts out today and get started .This is a really nice little plane as all of your builds are so I am sure I will enjoy flying it.
Just a thought I don,t want to change your plans but would a kf2 wing work on this plane or would it add too much weight.
Thanks Gere.

John
Last edited by jclassic1; Jun 20, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Jun 20, 2010, 11:55 AM
John

From the data I've seen the Kf wing section would improve things, similarly a slightly curved undercamber section would work....all the pleasure of scratch building and experimentation!

The low wingers have an inbuilt positive 2 degree angle on the wing to provide lift. The DB has 1 degree on the bottom wing and 2.5 degrees on the top wing for the same reasons (with 2 degrees downthrust on the motor). I wanted lift but while keeping the fuselage fairly level with the ground in forward flight. The low wingers were designed to fly slow enough to cope with a school sports hall but also cope with light winds in a local park for outdoor missions. Haven't tested the DB indoor yet as my indoor venue is closed till September but the indications are good.

So for outdoor flying the Kf wing would be good, but indoor every gram counts as the walls, roof etc come up pretty quick.

Please post some photos or video when you've built the model, its always interesting to see and learn other ideas.

Steve
Jun 20, 2010, 12:27 PM
jclassic1
There are no indoor flying halls close enough to go to in my area and I am not a good enough flier for the indoor scene.So this one will only fly outdoors and perhaps the kf2 might be of advantage.
I fly from a grass field so cannot really use an undercarrage.Will the plane still ballance out ok without the landing gear.
I have been looking for an easy to build and smallish bipe for a while so must say I am very pleased you designed this one.

For some reason I cannot post any pictures on this forum.I have put a lot of pictures on befor but now I cannot get the manage attatchment box to come up.If I can get this sorted out I will post some pics of my build.

Many thanks once again for this perfect little ret bipe.

John
Jun 20, 2010, 01:20 PM
John

I'd leave the undercarriage on for appearance sakes with a bipe and handlaunch. The CofG varies with the different batteries I tested, but I think it could use the extra weight up front.

When I fly in the park as oppsosed to the concrete strip at the club, the field is longish grass with wild flowers. My small models will take off the well trodden grass pathways left by the dog walkers.Alternatively, I have seen my low wingers (built by club members) go well off an underarm hand launch with the transmitter in your other hand . I think the bipe would easily go off a hand launch as the flying speed is low.

GS

Quick Reply