May 16, 2010, 07:48 AM
TonyS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gere Sport
After making a couple of cartoon scale models and having a few problems drawing my next, I've had a break and drawn up the Depronker Bipe. RCM Plans produced the Honker Bipe plan, so a 70% (25") version constructed from 6mm Depron or FFF with a few changes gave birth to the Depronker Bipe!
GS,

A well designed, beautiful rendition of the 'Honker.' Thanks for sharing!!

I hadn't thought of mine for a decade or two now. Yours brings back fond memories of both planes, one powered with Veco 19 and other with K&B 19. Both remained with friends in Holland when I returned to U.S. after that tour of duty ended.

I am adding the 'Depronker Bipe' to my build list (already too long) and will build it after I have achieved a little more experience working with Depron/foamboard.

And your pictures have me daydreaming... I always thought the Honker would be fantastic with ailerons. I will be quite interested in your AUW and flying performance, as I may have to consider "up sizing" to 100% to handle weight of aileron controls.

Again, thanks for sharing your idea and your work!

TonyS
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2010, 01:37 AM
Flight Report

Eventually got round to testing the Depronker Bipe yesterday. No scarry moments to report, she flew straight off the board with just a couple of clicks of down trim (the inbuilt 2 degress of down thrust must of helped).

I had 2 flights using 2s 500 lipo and another 2 flights using 2s 800 lipo.

Using the 2s 500 lipo, the CG came out at 2" back from the LE of the top wing and needed a couple of extra clicks of down trim. There is plenty of power for a ground takeoff and 10 minutes+ of flight. Loops, wingovers and stall turns were easily performed. Low passes and touch and goes look really sweet.

Using the 2s 800 lipo, the CG moved forward to 1.5" back from the LE of the top wing and the slight down trim could be removed. This combination gave the Depronker Bipe a flatter sit in the air and probably a little more penetration when the breeze got up. Its fair to say that the more forward CG really make the flight look like her bigger sister built from balsa.

AUW. The finished airframe without the lipo came out at 7oz. Complete with the 2s 500 lipo, the AUW is 8 1/4oz. Using the 2s 800 lipo, the AUW is 9oz.

I will try and get some video footage soon.

GS

PS. If anyone builds a DB, please post some photos
May 22, 2010, 06:08 AM
TonyS
Congratulations on the successful flights!

Will you keep the CG near the 1.5" point on future flights?

TonyS
May 22, 2010, 04:23 PM
TonyS

I have a larger stock of the smaller lipos, so both combinations will get used unless I add a small amount of nose weight to even things up. My previous small models show a tendancy to prefer the lighter packs and a rearward CG for indoor flying, and the larger lipo and a slightly forward CG for park flying when the wind gets up. I did the experiments to help anyone who may build one.

I had 8 more flights today using the smaller lighter 500 lipos and the more rearward CG, and despite the wind being stronger and gusting (or maybe it was just thermal effects), the DB flew well. It even barrel rolls on rudder!

I will post a video shortly when its finished uploading.

Steve
May 23, 2010, 01:08 AM
Flight Video

Here's the video of the prototype Depronker Bipe flying on 2s 500 lipo at my local club field. Despite the sunshine there was a breeze blowing.

Depronker Bipe May 2010 (4 min 29 sec)
May 23, 2010, 09:02 AM
No such thing as "Too many plans" or Too much foam....

Post and they will build................Dart
May 23, 2010, 03:42 PM
Steve...
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.....

I will be visiting with a very old friend of mine down Maine in early June who is a great old Honker fan.

After I type this, I will run down to print out the plans at Staples (US copy shop) and will build this for John. I already have my Pete & Paul base on your layout ready for him as well.

Don't stop now. Theres plenty more to do.

Ralph

PS
Your a man after my heart my favorite flying is to shoot touch and gos all day long.
May 24, 2010, 02:15 AM
Ralph

Good luck with the build and maiden flight.

Could anyone who builds the free plans please post some photos or video of the finished model.

One tip, I used hooks and rubber bands to hold the hatch in place because I couldn't get hold of any small magnets at the time. This restricts the lipo installation to being vertical and needs a small amount of depron removing from the inside of the hatch for clearance. I would recommend using magnets to hold the hatch in place, allowing the lipo to fit flat on the bottom sheeting.

I can shoot touch and goes for the whole flight. The test flights on Friday were less breezy and its great touching the wheels, adding a blast of throttle for a steep climb out, hit the rudder for a wing over and catch the downwards zoom with another touch and go the opposite way down the strip. It really suits the bipe! After 12 flights my foam wheels are already showing some wear!

"Don't stop now" - I loaded 5 different 3 views in Sketchup yesterday looking for a cartoon scale candidate to morph the Depronker Bipe into......any suggestions anyone?

Steve
May 24, 2010, 02:22 AM
Another idea... Build the wings flat with no dihedral, and replace the BBQ skewers on the LE with 3mm carbon rod. Fit an aileron servo on the bottom wing for full house RC. Perhaps up the power from about 50W (guessed not measured) to 70W for hotrod performance!
May 27, 2010, 11:15 PM
old foamie
It wouldn,t take to much to make her into a faux Jenny, I think , she sure do fly well.
May 28, 2010, 01:40 AM
old foamie: That's a good idea! I think the wings may need to be cartoon scale unless the interplane struts and a bit of rigging was used to strengthen the higher aspect ratio wing. I was thinking of drawing a Jenny but I already have the E-Flite one.
May 28, 2010, 07:58 AM
TonyS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gere Sport
Ralph

"Don't stop now" - I loaded 5 different 3 views in Sketchup yesterday looking for a cartoon scale candidate to morph the Depronker Bipe into......any suggestions anyone?

Steve
Perhaps a 1930ish Great Lakes T2-1E as in the photos?

These photos and newer 1970s type T2-1A side and top views and general info at http://www.greatlakesaircraftcompany...LACDesign.html
May 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
tony: Thanks for the photo and links to the 3 view. How do you yankee's say? "Godamit, that one slipped off my radar!"

I've combined Goldguys hint from my Turbulent thread with Ralph "Pete and Paul" A. D'Amelio engine construction to come up with a rough cartoon scale Gere Sport plan. The choice was a close run thing with a British Bipe being in the running a close second, but the Great Lakes puts a spanner in the works when I was about to finish drafting the UC, the hatch detail and hit the print button.....
May 28, 2010, 11:54 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Nice work Stephen!

Glad to see you modeling your namesake.

Ken
May 28, 2010, 04:10 PM
TonyS
Steve,

I have only recently discovered your design and build skills, and will be a fan forever! I just added the Depronker to my long list and already you place the Gere Sport before my eyes. Jeesh! Well done.

TonyS

Quick Reply