May 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
Build Log

Depronker Bipe (With Plans and Video)

After making a couple of cartoon scale models and having a few problems drawing my next, I've had a break and drawn up the Depronker Bipe. RCM Plans produced the Honker Bipe plan, so a 70% (25") version constructed from 6mm Depron or FFF with a few changes gave birth to the Depronker Bipe!

Rough spec's are:
RET (although I may try an aileron wing next)
Turnigy 2204-14T
10A ESC
2.4Ghz Micro RX
2S 500 or 800 lipo
8 x 4.3 GWS prop
5g servos.

Weight of prototype was 7oz without lipo.
8 1/4oz with a 2s 500 lipo installed
9oz with a 2s 800 lipo installed.

CofG tested at 2" back from the LE of the top wing using 2s 500 lipo and 1.5" back from the LE of the top wing with the 2s 800 lipo installed. Both work fine.

The main differences from the original larger balsa version are:

Flat depron wings with BBQ skewers on the LE
Slightly deeper fuz sides built around a top former
Wider tailplane span
Modified lower wing incidence angle
Nose length increased

Flight Video

Depronker Bipe May 2010 (4 min 29 sec)
Last edited by Gere Sport; May 23, 2010 at 01:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2010, 05:42 PM
I built the balsa version of the Honker Bipe many years ago. Used a ST .23 in it. It was a handful for me.
I like your foamie version.
May 14, 2010, 12:01 PM
Hey Steve,

Great depron interpretation of the Honker Bipe. You know that about 30-40 yrs ago, no?

Ralph

PS: Great set of plans...need to do one as well.
Last edited by Ralph A. D'Amelio; May 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
May 14, 2010, 01:35 PM
TFM70: I had a couple of balsa Honker Bipes, one with an old Veco .19 and another with a piped Irvine .20. Both tore holes in the sky. The later one also got re-engined with a 20/25 outrunner and lipos which probably gave more consistent performance.

Ralph: Thanks for the support! I appreciate tha the design is about as old as I am!

PS. I have yet to test fly the model so any builders are at ther own risk at the moment!
May 14, 2010, 01:49 PM
Foam Av8r
Nice!
Plans Filed
May 14, 2010, 05:07 PM
skumgummi dave
Gere Sport:

Handsome build of a great old plane. Thanks for the plans.

Dave-
May 14, 2010, 05:08 PM
m25
m25
Hey GS, you did this too! Yet another one-night-plane, you're unstoppable man!!!!
May 14, 2010, 08:45 PM
What is the wing span on that?
May 15, 2010, 02:30 AM
Cheers for the encouragement guys.

m25: It wasn't a one night build, more like an hour each night of the week after work, but it does go together quick! Its Ralphs encouragement....got to keep up the building before his squadron of planes becomes a whole airforce.

jettlagg: Its 25" span, about 5" wing chord and I'm hoping for a ready to fly weight of around 8oz. I know the world loves weight in grams but I'm stuck with old money, inches, ounces and mph! The marks around the edge of the plan are 1" apart if it helps you work out any of the other dimensions. The plan sheet is about 40" x 28" which is the size of a sheet of depron.

Cursing the weather forecast at the mo', was supposed to be a v. windy day so I didn't finish the gear installation last night and got drawing in Sketchup instead.... typical its calm this morning.
May 15, 2010, 05:08 AM
Steve are you using the free version of Sketchup ?
May 15, 2010, 06:16 AM
Yes its the free version. Its simple to use and will print tiled plans for you. I added the CutePDF plugin so that I could print to PDF files and produce plans.

I found drawing an accurate plan in 3D tricky and attached is my first attempt at drawing the plan of an existing Disco model which I drew straight onto the Depron and built.

After reading the tips on RCG, it seemed easier to draw a profile model as your first attempt, so I drew up plans for a profile iYak55 based on a scale 3 view from RCG. I've read that some users can turn out a plan in 30minutes, but it takes me hours and hours. 2 reasons :

1. Not knowing how to draw some parts on Sketchup...still learning!
2. Working out the construction in my head.

For now, I'm sticking with simple 2D plans and templates. I put the camera in parallel projection rather than perspective view and put the camera in top view and just draw the basic plans, with lots of patience.
May 15, 2010, 10:22 AM
Steve, your plans are excellent...and the YAK ...I gotta do one. I been using TurboCad for several years but for some reason it just recently went missing on my computer. I think I will give Sketchup a go.

Thanks
Ralph.
May 16, 2010, 02:32 AM
Ralph

Off thread, but here's a peek at the finished model of the iYak 55 (36" span).

I didn't publish the plans on RCG simply because there are plenty of profile Yak designs already...but if there is a demand, I could be persuaded.

V. Impressed with the performance with my hottest motor combination on a profile foamie of about 160-180W. Vertical rolls are limitless and the rudder/aileron coupling during knife edge or knife edge loops is small.

Steve

Quick Reply