Jul 06, 2010, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Here are the finished PDF plans and the finished PDF instructions for the Boeing PT-17 Stearman. Enjoy!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2010, 01:39 PM
jclassic1
I have printed the plans at 85% to give a wingspan of 30".This will suit the smaller gear I have and my 2 cell lipos.I hope to have an AUW of less than 10 Oz's RTF.
This lads web-site is shaping up very nicely and is well worth a visit.

John
Jul 20, 2010, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclassic1
I have printed the plans at 85% to give a wingspan of 30".This will suit the smaller gear I have and my 2 cell lipos.I hope to have an AUW of less than 10 Oz's RTF.
This lads web-site is shaping up very nicely and is well worth a visit.

John
Thanks John! I actually need to check my measured weight of this plane. I have a cheap scale that I measured its weight to be 18oz. It certainly does not fly like it is that heavy, so the scale could be wrong. I am sure it won't be too difficult making it less than 10oz.

I can't wait to see it!
Jul 20, 2010, 12:02 PM
jclassic1
Most of my foamies are around the 30" span but this will be the first with two wings.It,s a good looking foamy and cheap to put together-what more do you need.

Thanks Eagle-rc

John
Jul 31, 2011, 07:37 AM
jclassic1
I printed this plan off a long while ago but never got around to building it.I am now looking for a full fuse bipe to fly and this one is at the top of the list.Easy enough to make it full fuselage without adding too much extra weight so I plan to get started tomorrow.
I will let you know how I am doing.

John
Aug 09, 2011, 08:24 AM
jclassic1
This is it ready to fly.
Aug 18, 2011, 08:37 AM
jclassic1
Made it to the plans but made it a 32" wingspan.Made it with top and bottom ailerons.Maiden went well with no problems.Nice little bipe.
Aug 18, 2011, 09:11 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Did we ever get a proof of flight video or did I miss something?

I'm not in to profiles... they're way to easy to make plans for and to build. A good place for beginners and those who really just like to fly. You really can't honestly call this semi scale though. Not sure I could ID it as a Stearman PT-17 if I wasn't told that's what it is supposed to be. You need to add some of It's outstanding characteristics so one could at least make a guess.

All else aside it is a nice looking (not outstanding) profile bipe... I would still like to see a proof of flight video.

I would like to say one other thing... building a true semi scale PT-17 would have been relatively easy without cad work from the drawings you started with.

These are only my personal opinions and I am not trying to knock anyone down. Also it isn't big enough for me.
Last edited by larryross; Aug 18, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Aug 04, 2014, 09:17 PM

Proof of Flight 200%

I have built 3 of these using the kline/fogleman airfoil. It really flies nice and looks good in the air.

Here is the link to video of flight

Big Foamie Stearman (4 min 12 sec)
Aug 06, 2014, 05:16 PM
Looks good there Joe and fly's nice.
I don't have a Video Camera but here is a couple of pic's of my new Stearman
Scratchbuilt.
Aug 06, 2014, 07:50 PM
OldDog......I really like the full fuselage and radial engine. Great job! Now I just need to paint my 200% like yours.
Aug 07, 2014, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldjoe1931
OldDog......I really like the full fuselage and radial engine. Great job! Now I just need to paint my 200% like yours.
Thanks Joe,and good luck with the paint job.
OD
Aug 23, 2014, 01:59 PM
Out Standing In The Field

Pink Stearman

I successfully built, maidened and "tuned" my pink fan fold foam profile Stearman . It's my first foamie scratch built, with untold hours that have gone into it's construction, and more hours into researching how to fit a motormount on a profile fuse, how to make a reasonably sturdy landing gear that won't self-destruct the first time you use it, etc, etc, etc as certain aspects of the plan and build log seemed a bit suspect to a builder of my, um, "experience".

I looked through MANY foam build projects before I picked this one. There is a 3D plane called the "Nasty" that has like 3 pieces to cut out, but I have my 1100mmTechone Fat Yak 54 and always liked bipes, and this one had a low parts count if not many successful builds in an old, short thread.

I had lucked into a bale of pink fanfold foam at the local Re-Store ($4!), so that's what I built it with! I cut out a 38" x 6.5" wing from the pink foam, and it felt as strong and robust as a Pringle's potato chip. So I decided to make it a KFM-2 wing and glued a second 38" x 3.25" layer of pink FFF to the leading edge of the wings. It was then as strong and robust as two Pringle's potato chips stuck together with clam dip. I dug into my airplane wood box and came up with two 36" x 1/4" x 3/8" spruce spars which I hot glued behind the KF step, and then it had some strength.The leading edge of the top wing was sanded to an "air foil-ish" shape and then wrapped with fluorescent orange Duck tape, the lower wing has black SurTape on the shaped LE and bottom surface (with peek-a-boo pink showing for contrast).

The tail was "Pringly" as well, so I hot glued a pair of skewers from the bottom of the fuse up into the bottom of the horizontal stab. I also glued a skewer across the elevator, which I increased in "depth" as well, as it appeared undersized to me.

The landing gear design has the LG wires bent around the LE of the lower wing - I could picture this ripping out of the wing on the first take off, let alone surviving one of my landings. I researched lots of setups, and came up with a 3/32" ply "sandwich" of the fuse with the LG leg ends bent facing in, and then tywrapped. I bent the gear forward for better tracking and less nose-overs, and fitted a rear tension spring, which is fixed to the lower wing's spruce spar. I added a spreader between the 3" Dubro wheels. I wanted to try this setup out before attempting to solder it up (which I have doubts about my abilities), so I used wheel collars and tywraps to hold the various gear wires in place.

I used a cheapy combo Hobbymate HB2832 1190kv motor with mount, propsaver, 2 10x5SF Gemfan props and a 30A ESC that I bought from Amazon for $25 shipped from CA. It seems strong (and quiet). I used the 3S 1300maH lipo that came with my SkySurfer. (I see a re-order in my future). The All Up Weight is 24.5 ounces (not bad for an old balsa-building glow flier LOL).

The maiden was exciting (but not fatal!). I only flew it for a couple of minutes - it needed lots of down elevator trim, and it wanted to climb straight up when given lots of electrons. It turned left better than right, and wanted rudder to actually complete the turn. I built it as a "Super Stearman" with ailerons in the top wing as well, but they were not hooked up for the maiden. My first landing was very easy, a gentle touchdown from a crawling forward speed with no bounce or nose over (they should all be that good!).

I had to re-mount the motor from a "+" configuration where the mount screws went into the foam fuse ends to an "X" , so that I could put 1/16" nylon washers for downthrust. I fitted connecting rods and freed the upper ailerons. I also incrementally added 3/4 ounce of nose weight to cure the "pitchiness". After the tuning changes the Stearman tracks turns in either direction much more easily, and will do a roll. I will probably try adding more travel to the ailerons, though. The plane seems like a real "kite". It does have glide when the power is cut (better glide than the Fat Yak that has a "real" airfoil). It has a nice vertical pull. It flies at a slow speed with very low throttle without a lot of "high alpha" attitude.

The 1300 battery is a left-over from my RTF SkySurfer, and gives about 8-9 minutes of flight. I've ordered a pair of 1500's that will let me "get the lead out" plus add some more flight time fun.

All in all, it's been a good intro to foam building, I'm happy with the completed plane, and many thanks to the departed Eagle-RC for a nice plane design!
Oct 10, 2014, 07:32 PM
my next build.
Oct 13, 2014, 05:44 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
I like it

Quick Reply