Nov 13, 2015, 05:08 PM
Hi PWK.

I have done 3 of those pilots now for the LA500 & 2 other Gyros. If you look at the halves in a good light you will see there is a distinct line on each running the length of the moulding . If you carefully mark this with a pen freehand you can cut it out with scissors as close to the line as possible.. I then cut some thin strips of the waste plastic and either cyano or plastic cement them in several places round the inside of one half. You can then locate the second half more easily. Once trial fitted it is trial and error to trim the moulding until the 2 halves are a reasonable fit. I found it needed a bit of work at the back and around the nose area. I then stick them together with medium cyano and fill any gaps with lightweight filler. Followed by a spray coat of primer and then brush painted humbrol enamel paints and a coat of satin varnish. With a bit of patience you can get a good finish. The plastic strips also add much strength to the finished pilot.

Good luck

Graham
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2017, 03:33 PM
So , rebuild almost done, pilot seat and belts to go ... first pre-rotate model... should be interesting
May 11, 2017, 03:37 PM
Invalid user
Wow, nice work on the pilot!
May 11, 2017, 07:18 PM
G'Day Steve
Very nice looking set up.
Now this is a model that I wanted many years ago when I first saw this thread....but the price was very high at the time (don't know if its in reach yet) and it seamed as if there were far to many problems and it looked as if it was released before they wear all fixed.
Good luck ...and I still want one....possibly after I've finished a project on the bench.
Happy Landings
Chris...