Laheli LA500 Autogyro, Has this been reviewed? - Page 2 - RC Groups
May 26, 2010, 09:14 PM
Registered RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle
Would people be interested in a pre-order sign-up so Pete and I can better judge the order numbers? I expect the first batch of kits to sell-out in the first day, but everyone who pre-orders would be guaranteed a kit from the second batch.

http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplay...=AutoGyro+Kits
I might be interested. Got to stop finding good deals and new stuff though! Spent 1k+ last week! AHH.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2010, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Would people be interested in a pre-order sign-up so Pete and I can better judge the order numbers? I expect the first batch of kits to sell-out in the first day, but everyone who pre-orders would be guaranteed a kit from the second batch.

Will you have the recommend motor also?
I am ready to pay.
Johnny
May 26, 2010, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkpete
No one has the kits in the US yet, so no one has a review, but from the video, it sure looks like a great flier!

Price in US$ will be about 150-160 which includes the main rotor ESC and motor.

Kits are arriving today and should be ready to ship Thursday/Friday morning, more on the way after that!
pwkpete

did i get your last one?

johnny
May 27, 2010, 01:21 AM
Thermals the path to elevation
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjet
Will you have the recommend motor also?
I am ready to pay.
Johnny
No - LAheli does not have the LA500 motor available for dealers to order. You can use the recommended RAY C3536/05 outrunner motor or equivalent. It's a 2-3 cell Lipo, 1450Kv, 400-watt motor, so nothing special.
May 27, 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm interested, Where do I sign up?
May 27, 2010, 10:59 AM
Registered RC Addict
This one might work:

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=2141

The Specs for the RAY C3536/05 motor are available here on page two:

http://www.bw-design.be/shop/shoppic...manual_Eng.pdf
May 27, 2010, 11:34 AM
Invalid user
Jon, you got the last one

There is one still being held for a customer waiting on payment.

Good idea Lee, we'll take pre-orders for the next batch.

Please send us an email if you would like to get one in the next shipment.

-P
May 27, 2010, 03:03 PM
Invalid user
The Turnigy you listed is a bit small...

This one might be a better fit:
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...%28Eq:_2820%29
May 27, 2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:

Where do we sign up?
May 27, 2010, 03:24 PM
Invalid user
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkpete

Good idea Lee, we'll take pre-orders for the next batch.

Please send us an email if you would like to get one in the next shipment.

-P
Either email from the forum or either of the shops!

Jun 04, 2010, 01:21 PM
The is the motor I was planning on using:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7073

The specs match the Ray motor almost perfectly. I have not found the Ray motor available anywhere in the US.

I am most concerned about batteries. Though I have a charger that will work with A123's, I have never used them. I have several 3S 2200 Lipos, but they will not fit properly without modofocation to the kit. I really kind of like the way the A123's are concealed in a tube. Also, I'm told if Lipos are used, you have to add more nose weight to get it to balance.

If anyone figures out which pilot figure they are using, please let me know.
Jun 04, 2010, 01:31 PM
That's the whole issue with Lipo over LiFe - the additional weight.

Everyone will need to experiment with smaller 3S Lipos they have available, until we arrive at acceptable flight times. To get the Lipo weights down, we'll have to go with less capacity since adding nose weight is the last thing we want to do (if possible). I'm sure people will also come up with some inventive ways to attach batteries near the CG
Jun 04, 2010, 02:05 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Well the first couple of kits have arrived in the UK and it seems they do not come with a pilot which is a shame. The chap who is importing them has completed one and will be going out tomorrow for a maiden. I will let you know how it goes..I have just looked over the manual and they have a neat way of checking the balance point
It also looks like the battery tray will have to be altered as like you guys have said it is designed for A123 cells, perhaps a larger lipo can be squeezed in to keep that all important nose weight.

It looks like a well thought out model

Regards Rich
Jun 04, 2010, 02:16 PM
Quote:
That's the whole issue with Lipo over LiFe - the additional weight.

To get the Lipo weights down, we'll have to go with less capacity since adding nose weight is the last thing we want to do (if possible).
Actually, my question to LaHeli started out asking if there would be a problem running their pre-spin controller on 3S Lipo. I wondered if they spec'ed LiFe due to electronic voltage constraints. They said there was no issue with voltage, just nose weight would have to be added no matter what, and LiFe would require less of it.

LiFe does have some advantages over Lipo- quicker charge times, safer, fits the kit as designed. The only downsides are weight (evidently not an issue in this case if the nose must be weighted down anyway) and the fact that I don't own any.
Jun 04, 2010, 02:50 PM
You're right - the nose weight will be different for almost every build due to the thrust motor weight and batteries used. But since the battery mount is ahead of the CG point, there will be a sweet spot reached where we'll need very little or maybe no additional weight.

A number of different battery sizes will need to be tested due to the 'unique' method used to check CG on the LA500. With the mast vertical rest the front wheels on a digital scale and adjust the weight until a 250-gram reading is reached. The battery could also be slid forward and backward to adjust (unless its too long), avoiding a battery that's too heavy since it's more difficult to add tail weight.