Looking to get back into RC..need plans - RC Groups
Jun 09, 2003, 06:02 PM

Looking to get back into RC..need plans

After a long absence I am looking to get back in to RC. I would like to try a speed 400 model. Something simple to build and fly.

I would prefer to build it myself from plans, all balsa, 3 channel and with ailerons.

I came across this model the ELECT J that I liked but it is without balsa thicknesses:

http://plans.rcmodell.hu/planelect.html

Any other plans or balsa suggestions please.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2003, 11:37 PM
Visitor from Reality
Blowing my own trumpet here, but look up Radio Control Modeler magazine's plans listings. I've got a design in there called "Squert" which is just what you're after.

Designed when I lived in England and all we could buy were 7.2V motors and 600 AA sized nicads, "Squert" was possibly the first aerobatic S400 model flown there. It really is basic, a box section fuselage, shoulder wing mounted with glue, which is good for hand launches, and a bottom hatch to make changing packs easy. With 8 modern cells and a 6V S400, it should go pretty quick.

Structure is very light, easy to build - if you like woodwork. The plan was published in 1994, but they still crop up. Two showed up at our club's electric funfly last year.

regards

Dereck
Jun 10, 2003, 03:28 PM
Heck, you don't really NEED a plan.

Build a traditional balsa wing of about 36-40" span and give it 8 degrees dihedral.

Make up a balsa box fuselage and some built up tail feathers, trim it all up zero zero (tailplane to wing flat bottom)

Get a 6v 2.33:1 geared 400, a 7 or 8 cell pack and 12A ESC, 8x6 or 9x6 APC 'E' prop, put HS55 servos on elevator and rudder, and fly...CG around 30% chord.

As long as the weight is under 22oz, it will fly. Under 20oz it will fly well, at 18oz it will rock :-)

When you get bored with that, make a new wing with only a couple of degrees dihedral and strip ailerons, and another servo...and have fun rolling it as well.

Seriously, thats all you have to do.
Jun 10, 2003, 05:09 PM
Single-task at best...
Quote:
Originally posted by vintage1

When you get bored with that, make a new wing with only a couple of degrees dihedral and strip ailerons, and another servo...and have fun rolling it as well.

And when you get bored with that, build another new wing with NO dihedral, a semi-symetrical section and a Mega 1615/5 up front, so you can practice vertical rolls and low inverted passes.

Call it a Minibat if you like......(flies well on a direct drive S400 too).

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=minibat

tim
Jun 10, 2003, 05:36 PM
Thanks all for the advice. I found plans for the SQUERT on the net and will use it as a guide for my own design.

That Minibat is exactly what I want to be flying when I have a little more experience.
Jun 11, 2003, 09:47 AM
Speed Demon
Asennad, Welcome to the Ezone!