Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 10, 2010, 12:17 AM
No ! Your other left !
Discussion

Found a reviewer who may come around to XPS

Hi Jim, I found a site reviewing 2.4 systems, including module based. The original article didn't have XPS but went inot everything but. I posed an email to the reviewer and got this resonse.

Quote:
Hi Alan,

I only had a limited budget with which to buy systems for review and (unlike Hitec), XPS weren't interested in providing a sample for review so, unfortunately I had to leave them out (this time).

However, I will be publishing more reviews as equipment comes to hand and if/when I can get my hands on a current-version XPS system I'll review it objectively and update the shootout results if necessary.

I know the early XPS systems were not without their problems but they do seem to have come up with a nice product now and it certainly seems to work as advertised (as far as I can tell without actually having a unit to test).

It's interesting to note that although I've had harsh words for Hitec in the past, they took me at my word when I said my reviews would be 100% objective -- the result was that they *do* have an excellent system and I was happy to report that fact. I have also critcized the XPS product in the past but rest assured that if/when I review their newer systems, it will be with a clean slate and a totally objective perspective.

My goal is to make sure that consumers are informed and able to make the best possible purchasing decisions.

Regards
Bruce Simpson
RCModelReviews.com
I still wonder why my generation I XPS still works so well.
If you've seen my aerial photos of the N.E.A.T. Fair in New York State, you would think( according to XPS bashers, that all the 2.4 systems in use would shoot me down. Never had a glitch with any of my Rx's. 6 ch park or 10 ch full range. The parks were flown 800 to 1000 feet away ! Go here . The first three photos are mine.
http://www.zerorc.com/neat-fair-2009-report

Al Ramsdell
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2010, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't send this guy anything, and I wouldn't believe a thing he has to say either. He has zero ability to review anything. Let me explain...

Bruce Simpson is not an RF engineer. He never has been, nor will he likely ever be one. This is a guy who lives in New Zealand and one day he decides that he was going to build a working cruise missle (for measely sum of $5,000). After supposedly building it, he claims to have hidden it from the New Zealand and U.S. goverments. He got the attention of our CIA. There was a special either on 20/20 or 60 minutes about this guy. Because he refused to turn over this "cruise missle", the New Zealand government was kind enough to audit him. This put him in a bit of trouble, and he talks about it in the interview. The CIA realized that this guy didn't have the know-how to build a cruise missle, let alone one for $5,000, so they simply ignored him (but I am sure he is on some potential terrorist list somewhere - we don't forget). This is one of those genius guys that made a pulse jet engine and strapped it to go cart frame, and instead of placing it behind him, he placed it over top of his head - glowing hot - and no form for protection. Are you getting the picture yet?

So, sometime during the course of bashing our system he becomes a consultant for one of the Chinese 2.4GHz manufacturers and is suddenly an expert. Some people might remember him by his RCGroups name "XJet".

It's pretty clear that nearly 5 years and millions of flights later, our system works just fine.
May 10, 2010, 04:21 AM
most exalted one
A real winner he is!
He can't understand why he's not welcome on some sites either.
May 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
Chillaxin dude!
yep.. on my ignore list....
May 12, 2010, 05:00 PM
I used XPS for 2 years or more, trouble free including the origional version. I never had an issue and didn't need Xjet to tell me my system did or didn't work.

Xjet always claimed to be an independant voice for the masses whether it was wanted or not but never produced valid credentials IMHO.

Xjet uses the defense that the reason he has been banned from numerous RC forums is because he tells the truth. I've seen numerous posts on both RCG and RCU from others that were in fact critical of companies who did advertise on those sites. Sometimes those posts were removed but some were left. One reason a critical post is sometimes deleted is because that the poster is basically a jerk. He presents opinions as fact and then demands others prove him wrong. It is almost impossible to disprove an opinion and posters such a Xjet know that. Usually when someone gets banned from multiple forums and their the common denominator, their the problem.

I have since switched to Hitec simply because I really liked the Aurora but feel that XPS is every bit as equal quality wise and in fact, XPS has a better replacement warranty. If XPS had an Aurora style radio available when I bought the Hitec, I would have probably bought an XPS radio.

I'd like to say thanks to Jim and XPS for moving the market they way they did. I'm sure that origionally the radio companies wern't interested in selling module kits this soon but instead wanted to sell complete radios. Why sell a $100 module kit when you could sell a $500 radio?....... MHO......

Keep up the good work Jim, I haven't always agreed with you on everything but overall, XPS has become a standup company and definately a player in the game of competiton that ultimately benefits all RC'ers whether you use XPS or not.
May 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
Nobody mentioned providing modules to convert existing transmitters to 2.4 until XPS was getting ready to release their first system at Toledo. In fact, Spectrum announced that they had no plans to offer modules for other transmitters only a few months before Toledo. Just before Toledo, Spectrum suddenly announced their own moules for other transmitters so we can thank Jim for forcing Spectrum to announce their own modules early.
May 12, 2010, 08:59 PM
Right. And nobody mentioned telemetry either Except pretty much everyone else has it available today. With sensors and displays.
May 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA
Nobody mentioned providing modules to convert existing transmitters to 2.4 until XPS was getting ready to release their first system at Toledo. In fact, Spectrum announced that they had no plans to offer modules for other transmitters only a few months before Toledo. Just before Toledo, Spectrum suddenly announced their own moules for other transmitters so we can thank Jim for forcing Spectrum to announce their own modules early.
That's one of the points I was trying to make but didn't do a very good job at it. It wasn't just Spektrum though, they were forcing the hands of several companies by bringing out a module based system.
May 12, 2010, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer
Right. And nobody mentioned telemetry either Except pretty much everyone else has it available today. With sensors and displays.
I didn't realize that Futaba, JR and Airtronics had telemetry. When did this occur?
May 12, 2010, 11:15 PM
Whatever happened to woketman? did he get banned too? And what about KIWI? Is he still hopping around?
May 13, 2010, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider32
I didn't realize that Futaba, JR and Airtronics had telemetry. When did this occur?
There are at least 3 or 4, maybe more, radio systems out there that have functional telemetry, but you knew that.
May 13, 2010, 01:43 AM
XPS has functional telemetry, it isn't very useful as yet but it is functional. With the expected link to Eagletree sensors it will exceed the competition.
May 13, 2010, 01:45 AM
Chillaxin dude!
hoping that the standalone unit comes through soon. Also looking forward to the Eagletree interface.
May 13, 2010, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster
hoping that the standalone unit comes through soon. Also looking forward to the Eagletree interface.
I think so, too !!
May 13, 2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer
There are at least 3 or 4, maybe more, radio systems out there that have functional telemetry, but you knew that.
No, I didn't. I knew that Jeti, Hitec and XPS had telemetry. You made the statement that pretty much everyone else had it so I asked when the other big players came out with it. I thought you knew what you were talking about. My bad......

Quick Reply