Jun 09, 2003, 07:04 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Cessna 195 E conversion

Here's a shot of Chip Bullen's C195 converted to e-power. 60" span, 6lb.2 oz., 10x3000 NiMh, Mega 22-30/3 geared 2:1, 14x12 APC. Fllies super!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2003, 10:34 AM
Chip Bullen is a noted excellent builder, and I understand that the kit designer is pretty hot, too!

Rich, did Chip lighten the kit? This is a model I would love to build...if I can find documentation that it was on floats.

Thanks,

Terry
Jun 09, 2003, 11:21 AM
Account closed

Re: Cessna 195 E conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Uravitch
Here's a shot of Chip Bullen's C195 converted to e-power. 60" span, 6lb.2 oz., 10x3000 NiMh, Mega 22-30/3 geared 2:1, 14x12 APC. Fllies super!
Rich,

Where in Florida do you live? I was wondering about coming to where you fly this wonderful model with some of the Orlando Squadron to see it and take notes, if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Carlos
Jun 09, 2003, 11:48 AM
great looking plane! I like the "power-on" picture too. I like posts like this for a couple reasons:
1. great looking builds like that are just plain nice to look at!
and 2. it's really helpful to get an idea of what power systems work in what type of aircraft. (motor, gearing, cells, prop, weight, span, type, etc.).
In this case it helps to gives me an idea of the kind of power package my Great Planes J-3 40 might need. I have experience with smaller electrics (sp400, 480) but I was a bit intimidated by going bigger since it was all new territory to me. Since the Cub will be my first e-conversion of a larger sized plane -- 76.5" span, ~6.5lbs -- it's nice to get some ideas.
thanks!
--ron
Jun 09, 2003, 11:38 PM

Re: Re: Cessna 195 E conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by guapoman2000

Where in Florida do you live?
"Space Coast" I beleive. Melbourne ?
Jun 10, 2003, 10:08 AM
Account closed
Rich,

From one of your fans, it is understood that you live and fly your model(s) in Melbourne, Florida. I work at the SPACE CENTER so, please let me know which field you fly at so, we can tag up.

I am a member of the AMA and have current membership.

Please let me know where and when.

Thanks!
Carlos
Jun 11, 2003, 12:29 AM
I'm Charged!
STUNNING shot Rich, would make an excellent cover photo. What did Chip use for covering/finish on this model?

Jeff
Jun 11, 2003, 05:10 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the kind words and I'll pass them along to Chip as well.He built the model per my plan and no additional lightening was incorporated. It's covered with silkspan and clear doped, followed by what Chip refers to as "$1.99 a can spary from Ace Hardware." It weighs about 12 ozs more than my .46 powered version but flies every bit as well owing to the geared large prop.
Mentioning floats.....my new one will be finished on A.F. markings abd will be fitted with floats. The A.F. designation was LC-126.
Here's a flight shot of Chip's.....
Thanks again,
Rich
Jun 11, 2003, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
One more.....
Jun 11, 2003, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
...what the heck, ONE more.....
Jun 12, 2003, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Uravitch
Mentioning floats.....my new one will be finished on A.F. markings abd will be fitted with floats. The A.F. designation was LC-126.
My first airplane ride was in a C195 on floats! It belonged to a family friend who docked it at his house on Lake St. Clair near Detroit.

I was just a kid, but I remember that it took forever to get on the step and take off. It was probably a two or three mile take-off run in a lot of chop and variable winds.

Knowing what I know now (I have a pilot's license) I would never have gotten in that bird. I can remember that my late father was a nervous wreck after watching us bound accross the bay and barely climb out. I just think that the wing loading was too high to make it a comfortable seaplane.

The owner rarely flew it and eventually sold it.

Thanks for the memories!

jc
Jun 12, 2003, 07:32 PM
Rich,

Do you have links or pix of the AF 'plane on floats?

Appreciate it,

Terry
Feb 20, 2007, 04:37 PM
I've been looking for a kit or plan for something along the lines of a 50-70" Taylorcraft or Decathlon to build as an electric. While I was searching I ran across Rich's Cessna 195 plan on his site. I love the looks of this plane and I think I might go that route instead. I'm just curious as to how it flies. I know this is an old thread so I'm grasping for straws here, but does anyone have any more info on this plane? Is it at all aerobatic or will I only be able to do simple patterns and touch and go's?

Quick Reply