May 06, 2010, 02:31 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fiberglass Habu Airframe

Hello All,
I am currently in the process of making an airframe out of fiberglass based off of the Habu. I want to build a jet with removable wings & horizontal stab for easy transport. I bought the Habu and dig the performance but im just not stoked on foamies. So I am going to design a plug and go from there. I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I up the fan size because of the weight difference or just run a hotter 70 mm fan, motor, battery setup?

2. What method should I use to mount the wing & horiz stab so that it can be removable?

If there is any interest in seeing the process I will post pics as I go and keep you updated!

Thanks,
C
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2010, 09:10 AM
subscribed....70mm is nice...but a 90mm version would be awesome.
May 06, 2010, 09:29 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin_220
Hello All,
I am currently in the process of making an airframe out of fiberglass based off of the Habu. I want to build a jet with removable wings & horizontal stab for easy transport. I bought the Habu and dig the performance but im just not stoked on foamies. So I am going to design a plug and go from there. I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I up the fan size because of the weight difference or just run a hotter 70 mm fan, motor, battery setup?

2. What method should I use to mount the wing & horiz stab so that it can be removable?

If there is any interest in seeing the process I will post pics as I go and keep you updated!

Thanks,
C
Go for it man!! Subcribed!
May 06, 2010, 05:32 PM
I would love to see the pictures of progress!!
It will be great to have glass kit available.

I think if the weight difference isn't much, 70mm will be easier for $$ spent. Since you are building the fiberglass fuselage, changing to 90mm shouldn't be a difficult problem as long as correct ducting is possible.

Like most of the glassfuselage, carbon fiber tube and alignment pins can be used on wings. It will make it easier to change incidence if necessary.

if the incidence is not necessary to change, two carbon tubes. One larger than the other one. Large one goes on the thickest or closer to CG and the small one to the back.

For mounting small screws through the carbon tube from the bottom of the wing panels may be easier. Both ends of the wing tube must have some hard material for the screws to grip on to. a lot of people use end grain balsa ring inside the tube.

two small tubes will be good on horizontal stab. screws on both side for holding.
May 06, 2010, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
I work in the restaurant industry and mothers day is this weekend, so I wont have any progress until later next week. Once I get it started though, I will for sure post detailed pics of the progress from beggining to end.

All together there will be (5) 2 part molds, fuse, wings & hoizontal stabs. The molds will be machined out of aluminum and brought to a mirror finish so that the end product is flawless. The wings will have carbon cloth in areas for retracts if I want to add. For aileron control, I have been playing with the idea of using push rods. So where the wing butts up to the fuse there will be a larger carbon tube by the leading edge and a smaller one aft. In front of the large tube there will be a hole for the push rod. The sleeve for the push rod will be installed during the build up of the wing and secured so that there is no slack or play and will exit under the wing, mid aileron. This would be cool because it would be flush against the bottom of the wing and could operate both ailerons on one servo to reduce weight. Ideas?

A push rod system could also work to controll the elevator & rudder to eliminate cutting the fiberglass in the rear of the plane and causing extra headaches. Painting in the mold would create a nice professional finished looking jet as well. I think if this jet was made of glass & light enough, it would make it slippery fast and a blast to fly. Retracts or not it would be very sexy. I am working on a clear canopy as well but that seems to be one issue I have not figured out just yet.

Thanks for the interest and I will keep you posted!
C
May 06, 2010, 08:04 PM
Classic jets rule
machined molds ...you must own the resturant $$$
May 06, 2010, 08:11 PM
Matrix 90 & 100mm sport jet
How about some gourmet
May 06, 2010, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
machined molds ...you must own the resturant $$$
My career aside, I am well connected and prepaired to pay the price to have a top end mold made, to ensure a quality end result. I don't know if aluminum is nessasary though since this plug is pretty simple. Meaning there are no panel lines ect... I'm going to check out the options next Tuesday and go from there. After this project I would love to bring my friend a scale F-16 model so he can scan it and get a project going with all the panel lines. We will see what the future brings!

Happy flying,
C
May 07, 2010, 02:34 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Machining moulds to clone a foamy? Are you from china?
May 07, 2010, 02:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik
Machining moulds to clone a foamy? Are you from china?
Ya, You too?
May 07, 2010, 02:49 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Nope, but I do understand their marketing

Good luck!
Erik
May 07, 2010, 03:00 AM
another MONSTER ?
Lol... Tff !
May 07, 2010, 03:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik
Nope, but I do understand their marketing

Good luck!
Erik
Thanks! I know I will need it... This is not going to be an easy project. But its the project and the work put into it that drives me.... I wish it wasn't a clone but I am not savy at using 3-d software to create my own experimental. I will start with this and see what comes of it.... It will be nice to say the least...

C
May 07, 2010, 05:00 AM
Sounds nice, hope it is soon.
May 07, 2010, 06:49 AM
KingtechUSA
For the ailerons you want 2 servos so you can have differential dialed into it. Also for the canopy all you do is vacume form it thats the easy part by far for this project.

Quick Reply