New EPP 42" Sbach 342 Build - RC Groups
May 04, 2010, 11:40 PM
Build Log

New EPP 42" Sbach 342 Build

As with all my planes I prefer to invest my time in a thread rather than paper instructions so that questions can be asked and answered as well as any tips and tricks that people have figured out.

I was at an indoor meet a couple of months ago and mytmousemalibu showed up with a plane that I had not seen before. I eventually got the itch to design another plane so I looked him up and with his input and also some help from Spitfire222 and his THREAD I kicked out both 32" and 42" versions.

The 32" goes together just like a Yak or Edge and there is plenty on them already. The 42" is similar to my 42" Edge 540 but rather than a video i figured I would do pictures.

All the construction was done with Welders contact cement except for hot glue for the servos and 3M77 for the nose doublers. I will eventually have a set of plans posted here for free but I am too busy filling orders to work on them right now.
As far as the plane goes, I like it allot. It is probably more aggressive than either the Yak-55 or Edge 540 but this is with allot of control throw. This is due to the increased responsiveness with the short coupled tail. I thought initially that the short tail would cause problems but it still tracks strait and handles well so I think I just need to get used to it. With smaller throws it does tame down but is not as calm as the Yak.
I hope to have a pilot better than me fly it in the next couple of days so I can get some video of it really being put through the paces.

Construction note:
There are two ways to put the doublers together.
1) Spray a heavy coat on the doubler and then press it against the side of the center piece with the alignment tabs. Pull it back off and then let the glue tack up. Start sticking them together at the very front edge and align them as you lay the doubler on the center piece. This is a one shot deal but you donot need to wait afterward and can do the other side and continue building.
2) Spray a heavy coat on the doubler and then press it against the side of the center piece with the alignment tabs. Slide it around so that it is aligned perfect. Turn over and do the other doubler. Recheck both doublers for alignment. Use a little weight to press the parts together evenly and let it set for 4 hours to day. After 4 hours check to see that the parts are stuck together well. If they pull apart let them dry longer. If you use too much weight or put it on unevenly it is possible to induce a warp.
Mike
www.e-foamy.com
Last edited by motorhead; Aug 18, 2010 at 06:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2010, 09:57 AM
You know how we do
Mike, great pics and explanation. Looking forward to seeing more pics and videos of yours and other's Sbach!

Today is a beautiful day here, so hopefully I can get in a maiden for Sbach #2.

Btw, I noticed on your Sbach page that you have a green/black color scheme available? I'd love to see pics of the different colored planes if you get a chance.

-Vincent
Last edited by Spitfire222; May 05, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
May 05, 2010, 10:55 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
Thanks for putting these kits together. I've been wanting a 42" epp and these are nice.

Maybe the orange and blue (mermaid)?
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../7/1556779.jpg
May 06, 2010, 01:41 AM
You are welcome. I am having allot of fun with this and I am not slowing down.
That is a good looking one. Unfortunately I have to limit the paint schemes that I do. I do hope that some one will try though. It doesn't look too hard to lay out.
Mike
May 06, 2010, 03:38 PM
Winging it “>
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
You are welcome. I am having allot of fun with this and I am not slowing down.
That is a good looking one. Unfortunately I have to limit the paint schemes that I do. I do hope that some one will try though. It doesn't look too hard to lay out.
Mike
I think the SBach is a great choice for you to have added to your product line Mike. Distinctive looks and enough geometry differences from other planes to have a design that does have it' own unique flying characteristics, very nice!
May 06, 2010, 05:40 PM
Did you locate your aileron servo's just aft of the wing spar? It looks that way in the picture. I usually put mine on the fuse to keep the mass closer to the middle of the plane, or dosn't it make that much difference?
May 06, 2010, 05:44 PM
I put them with the edge of the tab even with the spar. This puts the servo pocked about 1/4" behind the spar. Mine are 7" out from the center. This gives me enough servo lead at the receiver to easily plug it in. I am not too worried about the 9g servos on a 475g plane. If the leads were longer I would move them to the center of the aileron.
Mike
May 06, 2010, 07:57 PM
Hopefully mine will show up tomorrow so I can build it this weekend. Sounds like our weather is going to suck so I may as well be building. I'm going to go for a lighter build than my edge. A lot less paint, no lg. at first, slightly lighter servo's, lighter motor and speed control. I am getting anxious to fly this baby. I haven't built a new plane for a whole month, think I'm getting the jones's.
May 06, 2010, 10:57 PM
Does the Sbach wing have an airfoil? The kit parts picture (Midwest.com) seems to show a curve on the wing.
May 07, 2010, 12:03 AM
The 42" does have a symmetrical airfoil. The 32" is just 9mm foam.
The 42" will fly allot more like a balsa plane.
Mike
May 08, 2010, 12:44 PM
Mike I see in the photos that the ailerons are much smaller than the Edge 42, especially in the center. Does this affect roll rate? The Edge 42 Ailerons feel about the right size.
May 08, 2010, 05:18 PM
I had thought about enlarging them. The roll rate is good as they are but I might mod mine and see how it does. If some one wants to try it on an order they can ask and I will make the change for them.
Mike
May 08, 2010, 07:13 PM
Mine didn't make it on friday. Too bad, would have been a perfect weekend to build it. Wind is 30-40 Mph. I don't fly in anything over 20, too hard to land in one piece. I have everything else all ready to go, so maybe this week I can get it built and in the air. Next weekend is out, my youngest daughter is graduating from Virginia Tech, so no flying for me, or so I have been warned. LOL.
May 09, 2010, 02:07 PM
Mike the sbach looks great and im finishing this one for the nall kit looks streight forward ill post some pics of the build in a bit
May 11, 2010, 10:18 AM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
Got my kit yesterday.
Real nice plane Mike. Well done.
Last edited by JaggedEdge; May 11, 2010 at 10:41 PM.