Nov 16, 2012, 01:49 PM
Don't you just hate that when one little thing has a person grounded. I did not realize plastic bolts could be found at a hardware store. I am hoping to get some soaring in over the holiday weekend or maybe on Saturday.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Had a sore sock meeting last night- we discussed keeping ya'll in the contest schedule loop, as there are many coming from many directions nowadays!
Johnny
Nov 19, 2012, 11:19 AM
I was slope soaring again last Saturday at Kalmar Dam. Plenty of wind but the the direction was not straight into the dam as well as last time. Lift was rather spotty and I had to really work to keep the plane up.

Slope soaring sure uses the reflexes, especially when it is gusty.
Nov 19, 2012, 11:45 AM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Thread OP
Hi Bill,

So which plane are you flying at Kalmar these days? The aileron plane or the RE handlaunch?

Wayne
Nov 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
Wayne, lately I have been flying a HL size plane with ailerons. Ailerons sure are quicker when you need to level the wings from a strong gust. This is an EPP plane and can take the tumbles better than balsa. It is heavier and has more drag however.
Nov 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
This short clip of video from several years ago shows the pilots flying in wind that was over 50 mph. I flew my Super Scooter with a fair amount of lead taped to the bottom. Landing and launching were tricky but flying wasn't too bad.
Slope Flying RC Gliders in 50+ m.p.h. Wind (0 min 18 sec)
Nov 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
Had a sore sock meeting last night- we discussed keeping ya'll in the contest schedule loop, as there are many coming from many directions nowadays!
Johnny
Hi Johnny,

Well we would like to be kept in the loop. I know that this past season we had 4 or 5 guys that were interested in coming up to your Radian event and I have heard people talk on more than one occasion about wanting to get over to Owatonna to see an Aerotow event. I don't know that we have too many people, maybe 4, who would come up to one of your serious winch launch contests but e-power planes are popular down here so if you ever have an ALES event be sure to let us know.

If your event coordinator wants to just email me event times and dates, I will put them onto the Rochester Soaring Event Calendar on our website. He can email me at the Rochester Soaring Gmail address.

Wayne
Nov 20, 2012, 11:12 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Yepper Wayne! we have tone!
Nov 28, 2012, 05:04 PM

Soaring Today

I got out flying this afternoon to try a couple of things out. First I have the ailerons hooked up on my Radian Pro the proper way now instead using Y-connector and have the flaps working. The plane need some aileron adjustment but I think it is dialed in now. Flaps are working from the gear switch in one position now, but I plan to see if I can refine the programming for another postion. It sure does slow down the landing.

Purchased one of those Cox Sky Cruisers and it flies pretty well. The radio equipment is not the best but the plane is fine. Plenty of power for climb out. Should be fun to take to the park or maybe a small slope.

Bill Kuhl
Nov 28, 2012, 09:01 PM
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!

Will give away a hollow-core door

I was lucky enough to find a bi-fold hollow-core door in the "seconds" area of Menards for $5. It isn't real wood, but it is rigid, smooth and perfectly flat. I cut a 4' piece from one of the doors, glued a piece of wood into the open cut to keep the end flat and then glued a piece of ceiling tile onto it. It looks like I have an excellent building board for my Chrysalis, and it cost less than $8!

If anyone is interested in the other door, they are welcome to it.

Ray
Nov 28, 2012, 09:28 PM
I built a Chrysalis handlaunch many years ago, the wood handlaunch planes were rather fragile.

This winter I think I will put some carbon in the tail area in the Radian Pro, the tail twists rather easy. The fullhouse sailplane that I posted the picture of is just about ready to go. It was a lot of work just getting 6 servos installed.

Bill Kuhl
Nov 29, 2012, 07:05 AM
May the Wind Always be Good

The Minnesota Floater or Durex V

A new Minnesota Floater is in the making ..Ck this link....https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1779346 ...Mr. Kite...
Last edited by Mr. Kite; Nov 29, 2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: add photo
Nov 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
Thread OP
Mr. Kite,

I'll be watching. The Durex is one of the planes I would like to build some day so I will also be taking notes along the way. When you eventually get it finished you must bring it down here so I can get a good look at it. It sounds like there will be a lot of new wood in the air next summer.

Wayne
Nov 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
who has rabbit ears down
BTW Craig, did Bob ever mention if the photo was his daughter? all linked up!
Dec 06, 2012, 05:58 PM
Thread OP

Item for sale

Hi everyone,

I thought I would offer this here before taking it over to the for sale forum. I recently came into the possession of a Spektrum DM9 module and I do not need it. I have tested it and it works exactly as you would expect. This module will work in module based JR radios. If you have been looking for one of these here is your chance to get one. I would like to get $60 for it and if I need to ship it then add another $5. Let me know if you are interested and if nobody replies, then I will post it over in the general for sale section.

Wayne

Edit: This has been sold.
Last edited by Windependence; Dec 10, 2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling, what else

Quick Reply