May 04, 2010, 01:26 PM
Discussion

New Radio Rule for SEFF 2011

SEFF will have some rules next year regarding 2.4 systems at SEFF.

1. Pilots will only be allowed to operate radios when located at a pilot station. There will be 26 pilot stations at SEFF 2011.....just like we had in 2010.

2. If a pilot needs to check their radio system when not at a pilot station they must hardwire their transmitters to their receivers with an appropriate cable.

3. For those that don't have the ability to do this, we will have a few designated locations behind the flightline boss EZ Ups for pilots to turn on a 2.4 radio to check something out.

4. My staff will need to discuss FPV and other 2.4 video and photo systems. They may not be allowed next year. I need to do some more research on the technology before we come up with any rules on this.

5. Above rules will be in effect from 7 am to 9 pm. We did not hear of any reported problems after hours. As long as we are not having problems at night, we so no need to impose the rule after hours.

Anyone found breaking these rules will face significant consequences. The penalty will be severe enough to deter those that are prone to breaking the rules.

It never fails....just when we think we have anticipated everything and have the event nailed....new things come up. We know all the major radio systems are solid products. We don't know how they all work together at a large event like SEFF. It is safe to assume that at times....well over 85 radios were on at one time. We did have enough people report "lock outs" / "complete loss of control" to where we know that it is prudent to make some changes before someone gets hurt.

We work very hard to make SEFF the best flight festival anyone could ever attend. We want to make sure we keep it that way. It is important that every pilot that attends SEFF feel comfortable to fly any electric aircraft they own. We have a year to plan 2011 and may come up with better solutions so understand that this may be fluid.
Last edited by Jeff Meyers; May 05, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2010, 01:34 PM
Member 120mph Club
Jeff,

I fly FPV and use a Spektrum TX with 900mhz video gear(vTX and vRX). You never use 2.4 video gear with 2.4 control as the 2.4 video gear can blind your RX due to the higher signal output. I believe our TX's operate at around 1mw transmission and most 2.4 vTX operate at around 500wm transmission.
May 04, 2010, 01:44 PM
I don't know about this. Every time I want to center my controls I have to walk all the way down to a pilot station, and carry all my adjustment tools along with the plane and Tx? I guess the problem must be fairly severe if you feel you need to do this, but it sounds kind of scary. A lot of long wasted trips getting all the way to the line and realizing there's something you don't like that you could have fixed in five seconds back at the car. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't need the excercise!
RE
May 04, 2010, 01:56 PM
Please read the entire post before you complain. Most of the good radio systems offer the ability to plug your transmitter into your Rx. Thus, eliminating the the ability to broadcast a signal and eliminating the need to leave your pit area. It requires an inexpensive cable.

If you can't do this...there will be 4 locations around the property to work on radio issues.

And yes...the potential problems of having too many radios on at one time are significant enough to create this rule.

BTW....most people can easily center their controls with a trim switch right before they take off. It takes me about 10 seconds on a 5 channel plane... I tend to do this at home before I go to an event though....
May 04, 2010, 02:01 PM
3DHS 'native'
Jeff,

Sounds good to me.
May 04, 2010, 02:17 PM
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Yea... a DSC cord is about a $10 investment.

I've included links to versions for JR/Spektrum, Hitec, and Futaba

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBNA0&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPVY3&P=7

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPA132
May 04, 2010, 02:17 PM
OOPS
Jeff.Good idea.Completely agree.
May 04, 2010, 02:19 PM
OOPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evel Knievel View Post
Yea... a DSC cord is about a $10 investment.

I've included links to versions for JR/Spektrum, Hitec, and Futaba

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBNA0&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPVY3&P=7

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPA132
awsome.I never knew these existed
May 04, 2010, 04:39 PM
characters welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
awsome.I never knew these existed
Ditto!

Good job, Jeff. Come up with a new rule and give everyone the way to implement it without a buncha wailing and gnashing of teeth.

mw
May 04, 2010, 04:47 PM
TEAM FUTABA
Wow!! Thats very interesting and telling!
May 04, 2010, 05:01 PM
The Eh Team
This will make range checks more difficult. I guess guy with the tx stands at one of the four approved areas and a helper carries or tows the aircraft away? I can see this being awkward, particularly with 1/4 scale and larger aircraft due to sheer size and difficulty of moving them, and with smaller aircraft that are powered by a BEC where the motor/ESC is necessarily live during the test. Could some exception be made for performing range checks at reduced tx power? Based on the numbers of people I saw doing range checks, there would be minimal increased usage of bandwidth from this.
May 04, 2010, 05:05 PM
aka Ranger Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by eajohnson View Post
This will make range checks more difficult. I guess guy with the tx stands at one of the four approved areas and a helper carries or tows the aircraft away? I can see this being awkward, particularly with 1/4 scale and larger aircraft due to sheer size and difficulty of moving them, and with smaller aircraft that are powered by a BEC where the motor/ESC is necessarily live during the test. Could some exception be made for performing range checks at reduced tx power? Based on the numbers of people I saw doing range checks, there would be minimal increased usage of bandwidth from this.
People did range checks???
May 04, 2010, 05:09 PM
Suspended Account
DSC cords? Are you sure they work with 2.4G receivers?

Brad
May 04, 2010, 05:14 PM
Member 120mph Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBill View Post
People did range checks???
I did a range check... I flew as close as I dared to the tree line and if everything responded I was good.
May 04, 2010, 05:22 PM
aka Ranger Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS View Post
I did a range check... I flew as close as I dared to the tree line and if everything responded I was good.
Now see, that's how I do it too...