May 03, 2010, 01:02 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
Thread OP
Discussion

diy rc fish feeder boat, thoughts?

i built this rc boat on the cheap, only thing i bought was a 10.00 rc car and balsa. it started out as a hobby and turned into a challange. i made this boat to sail out, drop food, and sail back. here are some pictures, let me know what you think!
thanks,
nemo
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2010, 05:00 AM
It isnt ever going to win prizes for looks, but it does its job?
Are those nav lights on the bow? I assume thats to help see where its going when feeding fish in low light, I would suggest a bit of a screen between red and green so that yo only see one or the other unless its facing directly at you. (Red AND green should never be seen unless you can get out of the way. Old seafaring truism)
May 03, 2010, 03:47 PM
Thread OP

yeah....

no, it will never win points for looks! ha ha. actually i do a lot of sailing at night, way after sunset, so the lights really help. ( last time i only had front red and green, but green was dim, still works). added the stern clear light last night and a spot light to see where i dump the cargo, (bread). i will add the screen, it was getting hard to see red and green differnece. i will try to get some vids up if anybody is intrested.
thanks,
nemo
May 12, 2010, 11:27 AM
Clever, homemade prop and all. I say good job but I would like to know what the hull is made of the lines are quite good.
May 12, 2010, 11:54 AM
Retired for now
I think this is cool. How do you dump the food? Do you have any more pictures of it and YES a video is always appreciated. So it ain't pretty but it floats and runs and delivers the food right? Pretty neat I'd say. Pete
May 12, 2010, 12:42 PM
I as well would like to know more about this vessel.
Cheap is cool!
May 12, 2010, 07:56 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
I'm even cheaper---. To feed my pond fish, I just toss it out---.
May 12, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'm even cheaper than you, Kap... I don't keep fish!
May 13, 2010, 10:57 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
I'm even cheaper than you, Kap... I don't keep fish!
I've got a total of between 50 and 70 shibunkin and goldfish in there for the last 16 years.

They actually come pondside to get fed, the little moochers---.
May 13, 2010, 12:02 PM
I'm even cheaper, each year I sell enough of the offspring from the koi pond so they (the fish) pay their own way (some of the koi we've had for over 20 years, any of them that have been around for a few years have names, at least thats what my wife tells me,, all I know are the first 3 sam, marty and not marty)
May 13, 2010, 01:35 PM
How do you tell not Marty from Marty?
May 13, 2010, 07:04 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
TGH, shibunkin are a variety of goldfish with coloration and markings similar to koi, but they don't eat the water plants like the koi do. Also, they don't grow to much over a foot long.

I've thought of selling off the extra fish to the local shops, and may just do that this year, as the pond is starting to get a bit overpopulated---.
May 13, 2010, 11:12 PM
Kap, remind me... I need to order a hull from you...
May 14, 2010, 12:16 AM
Thread OP
well you put bread or something in the plastic 'hopper' and use the 5th channel to dump it over board. the hull is made out of 1/16 balsa, sprayed with walmart grey and mixed with primer black. sprayed a whole bottle of lacquer sealer.
May 14, 2010, 12:42 AM
Kap got me off track... your boat does look good, Nemo. is it a bait boat for fishing or are you using it on a pond with decorative fish?

Quick Reply