May 02, 2010, 02:07 AM
Keep it simple
Thread OP
Discussion

Captain Scarlet Angel Interceptor

Hi,

I am a lifelong enthusiast of all of the Gerry Anderson Sci-Fi puppet shows from the 1960's like Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds and, of course, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons.

For those that done know, the Angel Interceptor was the fighter aircraft used by an organisation called Spectrum (nothing to do with the current R/C manufacturer), piloted by glamorous ladies in the Captain Scarlet show. A search of the web will provide many links to the shows.

I started this project about 4 years ago, and made a flying model from 3 mm depron, using 3-views from the web. It uses an all-flying tailplane, ailerons, rudder and a pusher motor. Initial flights were not that good - it would fly off OK, and maybe get around half a circuit. It would then , without warning, drop into an inverted spin with no hope of recovery. After a number of outings like this, I shelved the airframe, which survived surprisingly undamaged.

I looked at the airframe the other day, and decided to reduce the 45 degrees anhedral of the wingtips and have another go. First flights with about 20 degreed anhedral resulted in the same inverted spin. With about 10 degrees anhedral it was getting better, and with just 5 degrees I finally got it flying.

The model spans 18 inches, is 34 inches long and weighs 7 1/4 ounces with a 3 cell 600 mAh Li-Po battery

Here is a short movie link:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/alfoot#p/u/0/c_Y-wx6my8I

I hope that you enjoy this slightly diffferent aircraft.

You can see flying models of my Fireball XL5 spaceship and my Thunderbird 1 on my YouTube channel here:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/alfoot

Al
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2010, 02:26 AM
Foam Av8r
looks like you have it flying good now.
May 02, 2010, 01:54 PM
As a kid, I slapped together a plastic model of the Angel Interceptor. Didn't know anything about Captain Scarlet but just thought the plane looked cool. I still think it looks cool.
May 22, 2010, 11:44 AM
Keep it simple
Thread OP
Hi,

Here's another composite movie of the Angel Interceptor shot yesterday:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/alfoot#p/u/0/s5N-PHIFM1g

Enjoy,

Al
May 22, 2010, 12:56 PM
Design, Build, Crash?, Repeat
Nice. The interceptor looks great, and I particularly like Thunderbird 1.
Very creative indeed.

Chris
Jul 05, 2011, 09:27 PM
Hey, Alfoot,

Very impressed with your design for Angel Interceptor. Any chance of a copy of your plans in PDF??

Thanks,

Checkprop
Jul 06, 2011, 01:34 AM
jclassic1
Nice one al,
looks to be a nice stable flyer with such a small wingspan.
Good to have you back ,love your designs.

John
Jul 06, 2011, 03:05 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Very nice

Quick Reply