Feb 24, 2011, 04:26 AM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Sounds like a similar layout too mine, im using a plush 80 though. As always the trick to jamming stuff in little fuselages is to remove all the excess off components, reducing the length of wires, even resoldering the connections on the PCB to free up a few mm. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=44

Good effort getting that 3542 in the front! Did you have to throw any lead in the tail? I have a tiny chunk epoxied under the elevator pushrod to balance the ~130gram mega in the front of mine.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2011, 07:51 AM
No lead. I just put the battery as far back, as possible and the CG is OK.

In the tail is Dymond D60 servo for elevator and metal control rod for a little counter weight

This setup is cheap and quite powerful for E-Wasp. I`m happy with it!

I also have fully open ventilation holes in the front of fuselage...
Feb 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
Mine is currently a reasonably tight fit. I have the esc (Align 35A) on one side, battery in the middle, and a UBEC wedged in on the other side. I have a 2s 610mah pack under the wing for receiver/servo power.

I do have a Plush 60A I was going to fit. I guess if I shortened the wires and moved the UBEC back under the wing it might all squeeze in nicely.
Feb 24, 2011, 10:14 PM
Leopard - Any idea on how many rpm your getting out of the turnigy motor with your 11x10?

LHS just put mega's on sale, trying to work out how I can make the wasp bark like a dog.
Feb 24, 2011, 11:46 PM
Maybe low KV mega longer than your 16/25

I have a 1035KV( using eagle tree) on 4S-5000 swinging APC sport 11X6 at over 11,700 RPM static 60-61A with 10% empty pack.
That was during a 17 prop test starting at 7X5 sport.

I can test it on 3S for some larger prop data on same 16/40/3C

Data can be used to get a motor size inbeteeen yours and mine.

Any of your motors can be rewound into lower KV.... But longer motors will handle more amps and have lower resistance for a given KV range.

Send me a PM.

P.S. I got same results as above on APC E 9X9. Both props had that low KV motor pushed on 4S.
Neither prop was balanced.

Gryphon
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Feb 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM.
Feb 25, 2011, 12:52 AM
Cheers man, Im busy playing with calcs and numbers at the moment.

The 16-40's look pretty good but the amps required to make enough pitch speed too beat my current setup are way to much for the sizes of packs (and esc!) that'll fit, Folding props are a PITA to get enough pitch speed! The biggest prop that'll fit on a wasp is 14.5" if your keen to have a go.

At the moment Its running at around 120mph pitch speed, 700gram stalled thrust, 2.2 kg static thrust from ~80A on 3S. It moves out great, but doesnt bark and leap forward like a crazy thing.

So far the winner is a 16-25-2, 6S 1800 (2 3S packs), 4.33 Mega Box (one of the new ones), RFM 12.8x13 carbon folder on a +7 degree centre.

On the calc that figures 152mph pitch speed, 2.3 kg thrust (stalled) 7.7kg static, from just shy of 100A in, ~2kW, and by rough measurments it should all fit and balance. Dunno if it'll work in practice as it will in theory though...

Dunno if the link will work, but here it is.
http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?...ch=13&blades=2

Be seriously heavy, ~1.1kg, but it'd moooooove

Is it possible to buy the new mega boxes? I cant find them listed seperately on the site, only as combos with the motor.
Last edited by jackosmeister; Feb 25, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
Feb 25, 2011, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Is it possible to buy the new mega boxes? I cant find them listed seperately on the site, only as combos with the motor.
I was about to order one of the new MEGA 4.33 gearboxes yesterday but came across greatplanes 4.33 planetary gearbox. It looks promising. I do like how both MEGA and great planes gearboxes have off set to allow airflow through the motor. Most 28mm sized gearboxes seat flush against the motor and do not allow air flow through the motor cooling holes. I would prefer the MEGA, but the greatplanes seems like a good alternative and probably a little cheaper. The kontronik geardrives seem like the gold standard for this size gearbox but i don't like the price tag that comes with it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWVT4&P=ML
Feb 25, 2011, 01:33 AM
^ Thats my back up option, they do look good! Dunno how well they perform at high power levels though??
Feb 25, 2011, 01:47 AM
The price and availability is what is tempting with the greatplanes GB. I'm goin shoot mega an email and see what the cost will be to get the 4.33 GB to my door. I emailed mega about the new fj5 2kw motor with a 6:1 GB 6mm shaft. He didn't give me any details on it but said he's updating his website in a week or so with specs and pics. We'll see. Before I buy anything i'm going to wait and see what this new 2kw GB is all about. Like to see all my options before i buy.
Feb 26, 2011, 06:49 PM
I haven't heard back from MEGA yet but on the website the price difference between a (16/25xx and gearbox combo) minus just a (16/25/xx motor) is 56 euros. With tax it comes to 67 euros. So youre looking pretty close to $100 us dollars for that gearbox.
Feb 26, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hmmm... Not much cheaper than a KPG25 then. I wonder how good they are in comparison. Can the Mega box take the ridiculous watts the kontronic can?

The Mega has better ratios IMHO, 5.3:1 for the KPG25 is a bit high (particularly for the wasp with a 14.5" max blade length)
Feb 27, 2011, 02:42 AM
That is the nice thing about the kontronik, it's proven.

Not sure how many watts the mega can take. If the gearbox is anything like their motors than it should be able to handle some serious abuse. Apparently the gearbox on this new f5j mega motor can take 2000 watts. Not sure if it's the same box as the 4.33 with just deeper gearing at 6:1. We'll see.
Mar 17, 2011, 03:07 PM
Annoying people since 1970 :)
I ordered mine today in white with blue stripes underneath but I'll be adding fluroescent red to the tips on the top side for visibility.
I'm looking forward to this one
Mar 17, 2011, 03:37 PM
Guys,

I believe the reason the 2KW gear box comes with motor is because it needs the matching out put shaft of that motor.

Why?

Because the output shaft of motor is unique and is shaped like a gear with teeth.

***That is why the gear box is not sold separately.

The above is to the best of my understanding from my communications with owner of MEGA.
I may not remember correctly because I'm not personally interested in gear boxes for my application(different plane).....but I'm willing to take bets!!!

Gryphon
Mar 20, 2011, 07:38 AM
Sweet wastegate, its a great plane.

Finally got some video of mine today, Girlfriend had trouble keeping it in the view finder though so its hardly awesome footage. 720P and full screen will give the best chance of spotting it though

3:04 and 4:08 are good example of what it does with the sticks in the corners (and the wing strength!)

Mibo e-Wasp (5 min 29 sec)
Last edited by jackosmeister; Mar 20, 2011 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply