Jun 18, 2017, 10:40 PM
Ha! That's a nice collection of speed planes you've got. I honestly was perfectly happy with the Virage and Reverb. Then when the Virage busted, I was still honestly still very happy with just the Reverb. So I'm going back to the Reverb I had before. Basically the perfect setup for me and quiet with the 7x10. 1kW on the 7x10 and unlimited WOT at 150mph, 2.5kW with the 10x6 hotliner-esque version and accelerates not quite like a Virage, but not too far off. The 7x10 is great for the board members at my club who hate everything I do because I'm one of only 2 guys who fly fast planes. At least noise is one thing they can't complain about with it when I'm running the 7x10.

Out of curiosity, are you trying to get rid of any of those planes for a decent price that you think I might enjoy but you simply don't fly any more? The idea of buying a used, well built speed plane is a lot more enticing than buying new and requiring perfection during construction. If not, I completely understand.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2017, 01:02 AM
Are we there yet?
Aww man that sucks, what a crappy few days.
Jun 19, 2017, 02:17 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
[QUOTE=Bird09;37751906
Out of curiosity, are you trying to get rid of any of those planes for a decent price that you think I might enjoy but you simply don't fly any more? The idea of buying a used, well built speed plane is a lot more enticing than buying new and requiring perfection during construction. If not, I completely understand. [/QUOTE]

No way.

Every one of them at one (or couple, or more) point in time was pushed beyond VNE. (velocity never exceed)
Couple fast planes I bought build, but they were never flown, or flown with low power.
I sold bunch build to order swifts with different power levels. Even with brand new ones I worried.
I stopped doing that too. (building and selling) Can't get them low enough from manufacturer.

Rob
Jun 19, 2017, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
No way.

Every one of them at one (or couple, or more) point in time was pushed beyond VNE. (velocity never exceed)
Couple fast planes I bought build, but they were never flown, or flown with low power.
I sold bunch build to order swifts with different power levels. Even with brand new ones I worried.
I stopped doing that too. (building and selling) Can't get them low enough from manufacturer.

Rob
I hear you. That's noble not to sell planes you feel are potentially untrustworthy due to the hard lives they've lived with you.
Jun 24, 2017, 11:44 AM
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the slowness of reply. Been hammered on business. My 3S setup for my eWasp is the following

*3S 2200mAh pack
*APC 5x5 prop
*HET 3W15 Typhoon 3000kV motor

Compared to some of you guys very mild but I still get a blast out of it.

All the Best

Danny
Jun 24, 2017, 04:57 PM
Dan, as long as you are having fun, that's all that matters. The great thing about this plane is that people have put so many different setups in it and it flies well under a huge variety of power systems. From 3S-6S, direct drive to gearbox, low kV to high kV, folding prop to fixed prop, small prop to big prop, etc. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best deal for a small glider with excellent potential. As Rob has mentioned before, there's some instability at ~200mph, but other than that, it's a hell of a plane.

Oh, and if anybody is on the fence, HobbyKing only has 2 more in stock from the US warehouse, and none in stock from any other warehouses. Sometimes HobbyKing takes a very long time to restock, so it may be the time to pull the trigger if you're thinking about it.
Jul 01, 2017, 01:51 AM
Today I have fly my reverb with a beast motor (3.5kw) used by fms EDF 90mm and a 4.7x5.5 using 3+3s bolt hv ...Very very fast I hope that the frame resist..

FMS Paep 3546 6s 1900kv motore brushless a rotore esterno per 90 millimetri ventola intubata unità edf
https://banggood.app.link/UKeXfTl5pE
Jul 01, 2017, 03:31 AM
Blue Sky Mining
That looks like a monster.
How many amps with that setup ?
Jul 01, 2017, 04:05 AM
+ - 90a
Jul 01, 2017, 05:36 AM
magrinsi,
I like your thinking outside of the box.

That is higher AMPs than I guessed.

What type of voltage under load are you getting from those HV packs?
(likely nice and HIGH).

Any idea of RPM?

maybe the KV is higher than advertised too.

Gryphon
Jul 01, 2017, 06:01 AM
May be that kv is higher...
Next time i try rpm...
The lipo are 4.35x6 and are the best that we can found on the Web. .
Jul 02, 2017, 09:40 PM
magrinsi, I vaguely remember you talking about using that motor quite a while ago? Did you ever use it? If not, good luck and I'm sure it'll be great as you have a lot of experience with this plane. Like others mentions,I admire you for doing something completely unique. Good luck!

So after that kid hit me with his plane and caused my Reverb to crash (probably about 2 miles away), I ordered a new Reverb. The fuse was pretty weak out of the box, the fiberglass job was not great, so I took care of that by using 2.2oz Kevlar and 1.5oz fiberglass to get the fuse MUCH stiffer and stronger. No more weak fuse for me. The painter's tape is to keep laminating epoxy off the plane. I made sure both the fuse and saddle were strengthened to a huge degree.

BTW, I've done this before with carbon fiber and it's a bit stiffer but requires the antenna to be routed outside the fuse and the cloth is MUCH heavier. 5.7oz for the carbon fiber, 2.2oz for the Kevlar. I'm keeping this plane very lightweight still.
Jul 03, 2017, 01:57 AM
Yes I have used month ago but now I have used Hv lipo 65c and a prop with more pitch...😊
Thanks for compliments...
Jul 03, 2017, 07:25 AM
In search of RC nirvana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird09 View Post
The fuse was pretty weak out of the box, the fiberglass job was not great, so I took care of that by using 2.2oz Kevlar and 1.5oz fiberglass to get the fuse MUCH stiffer and stronger. No more weak fuse for me.
So how do you decide where to put the Kevlar and where to put the glass?

Edit: just watched this video on composites 101. Perhaps not a 100% correspondence with the airplane world, but still interesting thoughts about the strength of CF vs GF, and how Kevlar really shines at abrasion resistance.

Carbon Fiber vs Kevlar vs Fiberglass - Which one is right for YOU? (11 min 6 sec)
Jul 03, 2017, 02:16 PM
To be honest, they all do so well, it's not really a big deal for this particular application as any would help tremendouly with this airframe, at least the ones I've received.

As far as stiffness and strength, CF wins everytime because it has higher tensile strength, compression strength, and modulus (stiffness.) The problem is due to it's massive stiffness is it's also relatively brittle and fractures badly when cracked. It is easy to sand and work with.

Kevlar is almost as strong in tenstile strength, and still very stiff, but not quite like carbon but has vastly improved toughness and abrasion resistance. It's not nearly as brittle as CF. The negatives are it is a huge pain to work with, you need specific sheers to cut Kevlar threads since they are SO tough. If you need to sand it, it takes forever, again due to the natural fiber abrasion resistance. Also, it reacts poorly to UV, which isn't relevant in this particular case.

Fiberglass is very strong, but not nearly as stiff as either fiber, but is much cheaper than either. Easy to work with and sand and a nice all around material, but carbon and Kevlar are a level above when it comes to strength:weight ratio.

So if I decide I'm willing to make a heavier fuse and route the antenna out of the fuse, CF is the easy choice. But the lightest cloth I have is 5.7oz (2oz carbon is like $100 a yard) whereas I have Kevlar that is 2.2oz ($16 a yard). So while the carbon will make a stiffer, stronger fuse, it'll be heavier (both from the greater amount of cloth and extra resin uptake) and also protrude more from the walls of the fuse, ultimately making fitment issues of components, especially bigger batteries a potential problem. And that extra stiffness/strength, in my opinion, isn't really relevant in this scenario since these planes are flown like crazy bone stock. Wasting too much weight on strengthening the fuse/wing saddle starts to hurt your goals at a certain point. I made one Reverb that was so freaking heavy, moderate spoilerons caused it to immediately stall. So as everyone knows, too much weight is a no no.

With this light Kevlar and very light glass I used (the glass was mainly to improve sanding properties once the epoxy hardened), I can keep the fuse very strong, stiff and much lighter without worrying about the cloth protruding from the fuse walls much at all, as the impact is very minimal. I've never tested this, but I'd imagine having an abrasion resistant cloth in the fuse would make more sense for a belly lander that doesn't land on perfectly manicured grass (not that I've had issues with that and a carbon fuse before.)

I've used all three materials more than once in these fuses (but never fiberglass by itself, though it could be) and think I personally prefer light Kevlar for this application.

The pics show 3 fuses basically ready to go, 3 that need very minor repairs and could be flyable easily, and 2 that probably won't be flying again for various reasons. You can see I've used all three fabrics in different types, weaves, sizes, places, and just generally experimented a lot. Some are placed at 45 degrees, others at 90. There's even some carbon/kevlar weave cloth in there. To say this is my favorite part of the build would be an understatement.

If anyone gets a Reverb they feel is a bit weak or has a poorly done fiberglass job from the factory and has questions, don't hesitate to ask. Also, the wing saddle reinforcement is essentially mandatory.

Edit: At the end of the day, none of these materials will save your plane in a bad crash, but your fuse may be a bit less damaged than it would've been otherwise.

Edit 2: BTW these are my favorite specific fabrics for CF, Kevlar, and fiberglass.

6.1oz twill weave CF (maintains shape without fraying much at all. It's vastly better than conventional CF because it has some stabilizing fiberglass fibers in appropriate places .): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stabilized-C...-/131439400251

2,2oz Kevlar plain weave: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kevlar-Cloth...cAAOSwJkJWl2ZA

3.66 oz plain weave S Glass (stronger version of fiberglass. It's great stuff): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-C...-/121630386586

1.4oz plain weave fiberglass: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-C...-/111811275591

.75oz plain weave fiberglass: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-oz-fiber...-/121650183606
Last edited by Bird09; Jul 03, 2017 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply