Montague 2010 - Page 7 - RC Groups
Jun 14, 2010, 10:44 AM

Battery System for SkyTrace GPS

Hi,

I had some time yesterday and some parts and I built a circuit to power the GPS logger using 9V batteries.

I believe that most teams for Montague this weekend already have their system up and working - I just wanted to provide a possible alternative.

The parts are readily available from Radio Shack.

Different battery manufacturers have different capacity specs. and it didn't look like one battery alone would provide power for a minimum of eight hours so I made the circuit up with two 9V battery clips.

Using only one battery and not a fresh one (sitting on the shelf for a year +) the unit worked for 4.5 hours sitting on my window sill. So with fresh batteries and using two of them it should easily last 9+ hours.

Let me know what you think.

See you this weekend - the weather looks to be great!!!

Lift,

- Bob -
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2010, 12:15 PM
yyz
yyz
Nice Bob,

Am I correct in assuming that the "servo extension plug" is the male connector and not the female?

Also, I'm going to "hit the Shack" on the way home to make one of these. If someone else needs one, please say so and I can make multiples. It looks like about $10 worth of parts, if not less.

Thanks Bob,

Mike

ps: the GPS itself might be a little bit more power consumptive while it's tracking in a moving vehicle (plane) but I'm sure your 9+ hours is more than adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLGNut
Hi,

I had some time yesterday and some parts and I built a circuit to power the GPS logger using 9V batteries.

I believe that most teams for Montague this weekend already have their system up and working - I just wanted to provide a possible alternative.

The parts are readily available from Radio Shack.

Different battery manufacturers have different capacity specs. and it didn't look like one battery alone would provide power for a minimum of eight hours so I made the circuit up with two 9V battery clips.

Using only one battery and not a fresh one (sitting on the shelf for a year +) the unit worked for 4.5 hours sitting on my window sill. So with fresh batteries and using two of them it should easily last 9+ hours.

Let me know what you think.

See you this weekend - the weather looks to be great!!!

Lift,

- Bob -
Jun 14, 2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz
Nice Bob,

Am I correct in assuming that the "servo extension plug" is the male connector and not the female?

Also, I'm going to "hit the Shack" on the way home to make one of these. If someone else needs one, please say so and I can make multiples. It looks like about $10 worth of parts, if not less.

Thanks Bob,

Mike

ps: the GPS itself might be a little bit more power consumptive while it's tracking in a moving vehicle (plane) but I'm sure your 9+ hours is more than adequate.
The servo extension has the same gender of pins (male) as the receiver pins, I just took an extension and cut off the end I needed.

Here's some info from Radio Shack:

9V Battery connector $1.99 for qty = 5
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062219

1N914 Diodes $1.49 for qty = 10
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062576

So for about $5.47 plus the cost of 5 servo extensions you could make up five of them.

- Bob -
Jun 15, 2010, 05:36 PM

Projector ??

If you have a projector that connects to a PC and are coming to Montague this weekend, could you possibly bring it along with you so that we could use it at the pilot's meetings and any technical sessions we may have?

Thanks....

Dick, the weather guy (the one who gives us the daily weather outlook at the pilot's meetings) will not be there and uses one for his outlook.

Dean is trying to see if we can borrow it.

I thought I would ask everyone as well.

Thanks.

Lift,

- Bob -
Jun 15, 2010, 09:45 PM
Was able to borrow Dick's projector.

Dean
Jun 15, 2010, 11:31 PM
I'll leave mine at home then..
Jun 16, 2010, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman47
I'll leave mine at home then..
Randy,

If you have space and don't mind, could you bring it anyway - that way if we can't get Dick's working then we would have yours.

Thanks,

- Bob -
Jun 16, 2010, 08:23 AM
Will do!

Randy
Jun 16, 2010, 07:59 PM
stuck in ol' Uffni again...

Best Wishes from Colombia

Good flying to all you guys! We're sad to not have been able to make it after all. Looking forward to the reports and photos.

Marcela and Dieter
(former 2/3 of Team Hodgepodge)
Jun 16, 2010, 09:55 PM
As the other 1/3 of team Hodgepodge, I can tell you it won't be the same without Dieter and Marcela. Maybe there should be a Columbian XC. On second thought too many mountains!

John
Jun 18, 2010, 07:45 PM

Pics from Friday

First day of the event are over. Pretty nice day of flying for many; good condtion (if you could get past the start).
Jun 19, 2010, 09:49 AM
stuck in ol' Uffni again...
Thanks for the photos! Good flying to y'all today!

M&D
Jun 19, 2010, 09:52 AM
Day one was a blast! Day two.. Bring on the thermals!

Randy
Team SLO #525
Jun 19, 2010, 10:48 AM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer

JT report Friday

Sounds like some variable conditions. Not many puffy clouds in the pictures. Post more when you can guys, good luck all!

Scott

Here's a short update from JT.

Day 1 of Montague 2010 is in the books. The task for the day was a proscribed speed course of 42 miles. For those that know the turnpoints the sequence was: 1 to 2 to 9 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 2 to 9 to 2 to 1.

Four of eleven teams finished the course: Henke/Curry, Gradwell, Elias, Norsworthy. Times were around 2:35-2:45 for the finishers. Some teams never got off the field. We (Rolle/Falarski/Thomas) managed 21 miles before a big dark cloud killed the lift where we struggled to get back to altitude. Lowish score, but a fun, challenging day.

Dinner at Casa Ramos, then back to the hotel to recharge our weary bones for tomorrows task.

JT