Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 29, 2010, 04:27 PM
Sussex, UK
Cool

Police UFO report

My recent night flying apparently caused someone to report a UFO to the police, who reported it in their weekly column of the local paper :-)

I'll have to see if the paper will publish any of the photo we took:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=390
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2010, 04:46 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
I had LED strips on my parkzone radian and people were driving around trying to find it. The furthest away someone drove from was a little over 3 miles! I was hoping I might get a news paper article
Apr 29, 2010, 05:52 PM
ROFL! I hadn't spotted that article! I wondered if anyone would have such thoughts!

I'm very amused!
Apr 29, 2010, 08:57 PM
AMA #953123
So how did they find out it was your airplane and not ET?
Apr 29, 2010, 11:43 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
Ive not made the local papers yet to my knowledge but have had many people stop by and even a few security guards from local factories drive up.

Keep up the good work!
Apr 30, 2010, 03:00 AM
Sussex, UK
Quote:
So how did they find out it was your airplane and not ET?
I guess the 'bit of police investigation' meant driving over to have a look, or the report reaching someone with some sense and local knowledge. The club flies regularly from this school field, so anyone familiar with the area knows there are likely to be models in that part of the sky.
Apr 30, 2010, 03:11 AM
Suspended Account
I got a visit from the police one night.
They weren't mad or anything, in fact they were quite impressed and curious.
They had been trying to figure out where that plane really was for over a month and told me that nearly everyone in the city was out watching for my plane every night.
Apr 30, 2010, 09:51 PM
Under Warranty!
That's great, I remember a long time ago watching Mr Wizards world he did a great experiment with a dry cleaning bag and a small aluminum tray. He put a small pile of powdered alcohol in it and used it to heat the air in the bag and made a small hot air balloon. The flame also illuminated the bag. He happened to mention that people also reported the flying object to the authorities as a UFO. LOL.

Nice work Bilbobaker.

PS, Smokey the Bear says "ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FOREST FIRES"
Jul 13, 2010, 10:20 AM
WrongRudderR/C
I've had three run-ins with UFO reports.

My first was a few years ago when I first tried night flying. I was flying my slow stick with wal-mart glow stick taped to the bottom of the wing in my front yard near a buisy road. I was flying around quite high for a few minutes when I noticed a car circleing the block slowly. It turned out to be a cop who pulled up to me when he noticed I was looking up at the "UFO" too. he asked how long I had been watching it and what I thaught it was. I told him it was an airplane and he said no, it can't be so I landed infront of his cruiser in his headlights so he could see it. He burst out in laughter! He told me he had been following it around the block for 10min. and was getting ready to call it in as a UFO report! He felt kinda dumb he said, but it was a good laugh for both of us.

The second time was when I was flying my Superfly with lights in the yard and counted no less than three cars stop dead in the middle of the road (one of which a couple got out of their car to stare) in a 45mph zone and watched and all of them said something to the effect of "OMG, look its a UFO!!"

The latest was a couple weeks ago when I was flying my slow stick with flashing navs after work in the parking lot about 2am. There is a neighborhood behind the parking lot. It was on a stormy night with rain showers and lots of heat lighting so i guess a few people were awake watching the weather. My maganger that night knew someone from the neighborehood who called them in a panic! He asked him if he was still at work and if he had seen the UFO crash!! The guy was totally serious and had already called 911 to report a plane or a UFO had crashed in the middle of town! My manager told him that it wasnt a UFO or a plane crashing that it was me flying my rc airplane after we had closed up. He said he would call 911 back to tell them, but it was too late, LMAO! two cruisers were speeding down the street lights on and sireens off, I presume they were looking for the plane crash.

This came a couple weeks after I was flying at a field at the edge of town durring the day. I was flying my big QuiQue Yak (which was a seasoned hucker) when the wing came off and it spiralled in to the dirt from quite a hight. A few min. later after I had picked up all that was left of my plane and put it in the trunk I heard a mass of sirens. I looked up to see FOUR fire trucks, TWO ambulances and THREE police cars spead down the road behind the field. I got worried that there was a house fire or bad car crash. just as I got into the car three police cars spead up and surounded MY car! i was worried I was in trouble or something, but one of them asked if I had see a plane crash, so being honest I said yes I had. he said something on the radio and asked where I seen it go down. I said in my mind, "oh no! not again, hehe" and answered, "over there in the field"
"This field?"
"Yes"
He looked VERy confused and then he asked again, where it was. I told him "Whats left of it is in my trunk" Even more confound looking he asked if it was a model airplane, I said yes. He laughed and said something else on the radio. The second officer looked VERY mad and just turned his cruiser around and spead off. The third officer asked jokingly "Oh man, how big is your plane!!?" I answered "Not very big anymore"

They then told me that they has just recieved MUTIPLE reports that a plane a blown up and crashed somewhere down that road, flames and all! LMAFO!!!!

My plane was not on fire, and it was a somewhat controlled crash without any spinning or toumbling, I just flew it strain down into the ground without the right wing.

As we were leaving I passed a news truck. On my way home my friend called me and asked if I had heard about teh plane crash, I said yeah, it was me. (Im a full scale pilot as well so he thaught I might have been at the airport when it happoned) and he freaked for a second untill I told him I was flying my Yak 54. He just died laughing! He had seen it on the 12 o'clock news. The story was later retracted on the evening news with a very short statment that it was a child's model airplane.

This had nothing to do with UFO's, but its a hilarious story, huh!?
Jul 13, 2010, 03:00 PM
AMA #953123
That is a great story.

I finally freaked out my first set of onlookers the other day. The field I prefer for night flying is right by a major bike/walking path just off from the mall. I was way up there just lazily putting around with my J3 Cub when all of a sudden I hear a girl scream back behind me towards the path. Then I hear "Oh my god! Its a UFO!" and her and her 2 male friends rode off like the devil himself was chasing them through the woods.

Quite amusing if I do say so myself.
Jul 13, 2010, 03:09 PM
WrongRudderR/C
Im thinking of making a UFO with add lights and such just for that purpose, o is that too mean? lol
Jul 13, 2010, 10:37 PM
Former B52H Crew Chief
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
Im thinking of making a UFO with add lights and such just for that purpose, o is that too mean? lol
Playing on peoples ignorance to have a good laugh.... mmm maybe just a tad mean??
Jul 13, 2010, 11:35 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerofly0610
Playing on peoples ignorance to have a good laugh.... mmm maybe just a tad mean??
nope when I had blue LEDs on my radian people would always thing it was a ufo until they saw us standing there with the radio. I actually want to build another night radian with lights that will I can turn on and off so I can freak people out.
Jul 22, 2010, 09:26 PM
A fool in a field.
Good stuff..

We night fly in a newly developed subdivision fairly close to a busy 2 lane. Almost every time we fly we have people drop by when they can find us. Usual questions every modeler gets.

We did get a visit a couple of months ago from our Village PD, they were cool of course. He said he could see our planes 2 miles off and thought someone was shooting off fireworks.

LED's are cool......

Take care

Dusty
Jul 22, 2010, 10:51 PM
400' ..... NOT
I love for someone to put a ring of leds on a plane in a slow chaser sequence.