Light Rx for Aurora 9 - RC Groups
Apr 26, 2010, 10:36 AM
Question

Light Rx for Aurora 9

Hello,

I have Aurorar 9 and I would like to have an indoor plane. Unfortunately Optima 6 receiver has 15.31 grams, that it's too heavy. And I think that it will be still heavy, after disassembling the plastic box.

Does anybody run in to this issue? Is there a solution or I have to wait until such micro Rx will be available? If it will be available someday.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2010, 05:25 PM

Minima 6E, 6T Receivers & Optima Lite 6 Transceiver - Minimum Weight AFHSS RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petricius
Hello, I have Aurora 9 and I would like to have an indoor plane.
Unfortunately Optima 6 receiver has 15.31 grams, that it's too heavy.
And I think that it will be still heavy, after disassembling the plastic box. Does anybody run in
to this issue? Is there a solution or I have to wait until such micro Rx will be available?
If it will be available someday. Thanks
Minima 6E/6T Micro Receivers. ("E"nd and "T"op connectors as pictured below).
Were due March 2011, re-scheduled for June 2011.
These weigh 6g with the case and 4g without.
These are non telemetry RX but with full range.
There have been some question why this has dual antennas when the Optima can use only one BODA?
The simple answer is that they are two different animals. Any time you build something that is lightweight
you have to make sacrifices but Hitec were unwilling to sacrifice full range thus dual mini BODA's.

18 April 11:
Spectra Module V3.01 now available - update required for use with Minima RX.
Minima RX (non telemetry) can now be released and used with Spectra 2.4GHz modules which have been upgraded to V3.01.

Hitec AFHSS ID-Setup (Bind) Spectra Module V3.01(0), Optima Transceiver 6, 7 & 9ch V2.02(0) & Minima Receivers - quick reference.

New Manuals:
Spectra 2.4GHz Module Firmware Version 3.01 - manual
Hitec 2.4GHZ Receiver V3.0- manual

-----------------------

17Dec10:
Optima 6 LITE "Introducing the Optima 6 LITE Transceiver.
. Battery Telemetry. included.
. Weight: 8.5g with BODA, 7g without.
. Available early Jan '11"- Mike"

.. Optima Lite SPC - note shape of SPC label matches shape of plug, if plug provided is removed,
orientate any connection correctly to avoid erroneous operation/damage to transceiver.
(pictures below show with and without plug inserted)

14Feb11:
Minima 6T - Full range 2.4Ghz AFHSS 6ch Micro Receiver (Top Port).
This full range super slim receiver from Hitec has finally arrived.
For indoor and park fliers and based on our AFHSS tecnology, this micro receiver has a rock solid and
interference-free connection just like it's big brothers, Optima series transceivers.
Features
- Dual M-BODA (Dual Mini Boosted Omni-Directional Antenna) Applied.
- Fail-safe & Hold Function.
- Wide operating Voltage : 4.8 < 8.4v (max 2S)
- Minima Do Not Brownout until the voltage gets below 2.6v.
.........(Unlike the Optima's with a 3.5v threshold)
- Dimensions: 31 x 20.8 x 7.1 mm (** Minimised by 58% for it's volume comparing to Optima 6.)
- Weight : 6.5g (** Lightened by 57% for its weight comparing to Optima 6)
- SPC & Bidirectional function (telemetry) not included as it was essential to minimise the size of this receiver.
...[B]Please note Spectra 2.4GHz Module must be upgraded to Version 3.0.
07 July 2011: Update
"Minima's just arrived yesterday and are shipping to the distributors this week.
They are completely different RX's than the Optima's.
They use two Mini BODA and while they did work fine with only one, we used two for maximum performance and full line of sight range.
No, there is no Data or SPC ports but the minimum operating voltage is 2.6v vs. 3.5 for the Optima's. - Mike. "

. Optima Transceiver Caseless Weights
Optima 6: 7- 8 g
Optima 7: 9 - 10 g
"lower weight is without the BODA. - Mike."

. Optima Transceivers - Conversion for Indoor and Park-Flyers pending release of Minima 2.4GHz series.
Hitec "Factory Pilot" Brandon Chitty uses the Optima 7 in his indoor competition aircraft (Fancy Foam Maxima)
that weighs 8oz, as well as his 170CC DA powered 42% Aeroworks Yak.

BODA Antenna Tip Wire (DIY Security for receivers manufactured pre Apr10.) & Spare BODA Holders #58474.

30 Jan 2012:
Hitec AFHSS, 2.4GHz Transceiver & Receivers - Alternative or Cheaper Clones?
- Negative to date. with reasons.

03 July 2012:
Minima 6L Lite announced.
Features:
- Dual Non-BODA antenna
- Fail safe / Hold function
- Wide Operating Voltage: 4.8~8.4 Volt
Specifications:
- Dimensions : 31.7 x 20.8 x 10.9mm
- Weight : 4g
Picture attached, ETA various areas from Dec12.
20Dec2012 -Minima 6L Lite in stock, new photo attached hereto.

29 Dec 2012: FLYRC magazine news 29Dec12:
. Minima 6L and Minima 6S Six Micro Rx - Specifications & Pictures.

Replacement 2.4GHz Antenna:
. Receiver - Antenna - Original lengths & DIY Replacements for PPM & 2.4Ghz Hitec, Futaba, GWS, JR & others.
Includes pictures of 2.4Ghz antenna U_FL Connector head & base which have a maximum removal/refit of 5 times.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky: Aurora A9, Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry - FAQ & Undocumented Features

- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan Tong (Hitec NZ Rep)
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Last edited by A.T.; Mar 08, 2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: add jpg of 6ch SPC port
Apr 27, 2010, 05:03 AM
Thanks to A.T. for the links. It's helpful.
Apr 27, 2010, 12:56 PM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder
With a little modification I got the 13.9g Optima 6, down to 7.7g

Apr 28, 2010, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz
With a little modification I got the 13.9g Optima 6, down to 7.7g

Guz- can you explain your modification in detail? Looks like a new antenna. Source for these (mfg./website/part number etc?) Also, any range reduction that you can tell going to this new antenna?

Thanks much

Kevin K.
Apr 28, 2010, 11:10 PM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder
Just remove the case, and then carefully pop off the BODA antenna off the board.

The new antenna is from Digikey - part# A36229-ND Actually it's a double ended pigtail with one end cut off, and then 30mm of the outer sheath removed. Then pop on the new antenna on to the board. If you bounce around in Digikey's search under Cable Assemblies, Coaxial RF, then drill down from there. You want "U.FL, UMC, UMCC" series, btw.

If you decide to do this, be sure to order extra cable. It takes a bit of practice stripping off the outer sheath. I found rolling the wire under an X-acto blade with slight pressure worked the best. Roll, try pulling off the sheath, if not, re-roll and repeat as necessary.

I then put some clear heat shrink over the whole thing. Just remember, that you need to cut away the heat shrink around the bind button (I forgot at first, and didn't understand why things didn't work properly )

I have been testing this modification in a 1.5m DLG (Blaster II). So far I have gotten over 1,200 feet AGL without an issue (measured with an altimeter). I have the fail safe set with full flapperon, with some right rudder so it is easy to observe if it is activated at any altitude. The only time fail safe has been observed was when I turned off the transmitter to verify that fail safe works.
Last edited by Guz; Apr 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
May 05, 2010, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz
Actually it's a double ended pigtail with one end cut off, and then 30mm of the outer sheath removed.
I got my hitec spectra module today with two optima 6 rx's. Noted that the exposed silver antenna is 23mm coming out of the BODA. Seems like the other 2.4 ghz antennas (exposed silver antenna) on other mfg receivers are 30-31mm. Is this why you made yours 30mm and not 23 mm? Or, is your BODA 30-31mm exposed and unlike mine?

Thanks,

KK
May 05, 2010, 10:24 PM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder
You made me go look at my left over BODA's.

I have one at 24mm and one at 30mm

To top it off, I don't remember where each BODA came from. I think the 30mm is from a 7 channel, and the 24mm is from a 6 channel. I have both, and have moved the generic around to each receiver, for testing.

I should have checked each before experimenting.

So, it looks like the 6 channel uses 23-24mm, and the 7 channel uses 30-31mm. I think it's time for everyone to get out there good rulers and start measuring Anyone have a 9 channel they can measure?
May 06, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hitec service
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz
You made me go look at my left over BODA's.

I have one at 24mm and one at 30mm

To top it off, I don't remember where each BODA came from. I think the 30mm is from a 7 channel, and the 24mm is from a 6 channel. I have both, and have moved the generic around to each receiver, for testing.

I should have checked each before experimenting.

So, it looks like the 6 channel uses 23-24mm, and the 7 channel uses 30-31mm. I think it's time for everyone to get out there good rulers and start measuring Anyone have a 9 channel they can measure?

Hmm... I measure 30mm on both a 7 and a 9 channel I have. I dont have a 6 channel handy at the moment to measure.

EDIT: Found a 6 channel on Mikes desk. It also measures 30mm.
Last edited by BRENDAN LUGO; May 06, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
May 06, 2010, 11:19 AM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder
OK, I looked again, and took pictures.

It appears that one antenna is of a different design. Maybe the strain relief that was discussed awhile ago?
May 08, 2010, 04:10 AM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Yup!
May 11, 2010, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz

I then put some clear heat shrink over the whole thing.
Guz- what size heat shrink tubing and your source? I tried clear 1/2" dia (too small), and 3/4" dia (too large and it won't shrink snugly).

thanks,

KK
May 12, 2010, 12:17 AM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkooch
Guz- what size heat shrink tubing and your source? I tried clear 1/2" dia (too small), and 3/4" dia (too large and it won't shrink snugly).

thanks,

KK
Good question... and I can't answer it I didn't measure the stuff, and I'm all out. It will be awhile till get around to modifying any more receivers (no one has any in stock).

I would think that the 3/4" would work measuring an existing receiver. Add more heat, maybe?

I just went to my local Batteries+ and handed them the receiver and asked for some clear heat shrink to go over it.
Oct 30, 2010, 05:37 PM
I don't know the properties of a BODA and therefore I don't know why they exposed 30mm. The quarter wave antenna is the simplest and most common antenna for space/size constraint applications and therefore it makes sense to expose 31mm (31.25mm) of the coax which is at a 1/4 of a wavelength of 2.4GHz.
Nov 01, 2010, 10:20 AM
Hitec service
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluscape
I don't know the properties of a BODA and therefore I don't know why they exposed 30mm. The quarter wave antenna is the simplest and most common antenna for space/size constraint applications and therefore it makes sense to expose 31mm (31.25mm) of the coax which is at a 1/4 of a wavelength of 2.4GHz.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1150136