Jul 28, 2019, 09:15 AM
Thread OP

Instrumental Solution

The multiple layer instrument panel was really easy to create with a Sizzix 2D CNC.

.................................................. ..Name: 2019-07-25_120927_Laminates2.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 25.4 KB
Description: Multiple layer CNC'd Instrument Panel

Had to create an alignment jig to line up the instrument panel layers. Finally found a
PlastStruct 3/8" tube was perfect when placed through panel instrument openings.

While this sounds simple... ;^) drill a pair of holes with a precise center to center with a
hand drill... Rather than reducing a 2x4 to saw, or in this case drill dust...I'll go to my off
site shop and use a drill press.

Down sizing has taken a toll on the convenience of simply walking into another room. I
am very grateful the storage site manager permitted us to move from our original unit
to one within 50 feet of an electrical outlet... ;^) Space is complete with an overhead to
store fuselages, wood, kits, etc.

I erected a 2x4 perimeter frame then hung the overhead storage from it. I kept a 10x3
building board and about 90% of the power tools from my spacious two bay garage. It
gives me a greater appreciation of what I had...and have now!
Last edited by FliteMetal; Jul 28, 2019 at 09:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2019, 09:16 AM
Thread OP

Instrumental Solutions

For those not familiar with laminating layers to 'build up" an instrument panel...

...............................................Name: 1+1=1.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 25.7 KB
Description:

1. Small hole layers (4) support individual LED illuminating each panel instrument.
2. Instrument panel layers with holes (2) for each flight instrument.
3. Instrument face layer printed on thin super bright white bond
............... (laminated with UV inhibiting clear adhesive tape)
4. instrument panel layers with holes (4) for each flight instrument.

Layered panel gives depth and when a resister is utilized the LED illumination is subtle.

Will post video of how panel layers are created later. Somehow camera batteries do not
retain their charge for more than 1 year... ;^)
Last edited by FliteMetal; Jul 28, 2019 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Illustration
Jul 28, 2019, 09:55 AM
Thread OP

Another B-47 Project?

Anyone taking a serious look at my cross section (former) drawing? Would really like
to see another B-47 built. There are and will be only three r/c B-47's flying next year...
.................................................Name: 1600ReaRed.gif
Views: 6
Size: 97.2 KB
Description:
.................................................Name: 1600Frnt.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 587.0 KB
Description:
.................................................Name: 1600Fuside.jpg
Size: 398.8 KB
Description:
.................................................Name: 1600Rear.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 2.89 MB
Description:
.................................................Name: 742-970Crossections.jpg
Size: 647.4 KB
Description:
.................................................Name: Fusemaster.jpg
Size: 922.2 KB
Description:
.................................................Name: FuselageStationsG.gif
Size: 34.7 KB
Description:
.................................................Name: CompositePartingPoints.jpg
Size: 275.1 KB
Description:
.................................................Name: a12142279-210-a12141993-217-FuseCompositeFormersJMaster%5B1%5D.jpg
Views: 8
Size: 627.7 KB
Description:
.................................................. .....Name: BoeingDimDwg4.jpg
Size: 97.1 KB
Description:
.................................................. .....Name: SparWorkUpWFoils2Root.png
Views: 8
Size: 1.11 MB
Description:
.................................................. .Name: SparThoughtTil.jpg
Size: 556.1 KB
Description:
.................................................Name: ReOpFlapAni.gif
Size: 306.8 KB
Description:
My complete show and tell of this project is intended to provide you...the ability to be
the builder/pilot of an EDF B-47. Hope someone takes advantage of what I posted in
this site, WattFlyer, and RCSB.
..................................................Name: Test_TemplateOverlay.jpg
Size: 49.3 KB
Description:
At this point there is close to 100 gig of data.
Last edited by FliteMetal; Jul 28, 2019 at 11:24 AM.
Jul 28, 2019, 05:57 PM
Following along......
Jul 28, 2019, 10:10 PM
Thread OP

CNC'd Instrument Panel

B-47E Instrument Panel (2 min 53 sec)
Last edited by FliteMetal; Jul 28, 2019 at 10:18 PM.
Oct 09, 2019, 10:57 AM
Thread OP

Back In The Saddle

Sorry for not having posted anything more recently. Things have been a wee bit distracting. I will be finishing up the B-47 cockpit in the next week or so. I completely redesigned the cockpit providing as close a match to the 1:1 possible given the process chosen. Pilot and co-pilot will be finished immediately afterward.

Shortly Sam and I will acquire a second CNC mill. One which will permit a full 15" Z axis from a single pre-laminated Hi-Load Styrofoam plank instead of limited to using two inch and three inch then laminating them post milling.

Aside from the 30% reduction of mill time, the thin edges of each thinner plank were in harms way until laminated...which in itself was subject to misalignment issues vs. a 50% top~down and bottom~up milling session, leaving feather-less edges.

More as it progresses...
Last edited by FliteMetal; Oct 09, 2019 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply