Aug 18, 2014, 05:56 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
this material your using must be much better than what im thinking of. any wxessive flex8ng caused it to crack...and then the strngth went out the windowm youve obviously done your homework and your design is art work! patiently waitibg and learning watching your build
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2014, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
this material your using must be much better than what im thinking of.
Any wxessive flex8ng caused it to crack...and then the strngth went out the windowm youve obviously
done your homework and your design is art work! patiently waitibg and learning watching your build
Remember flying surfaces are sheeted and glassed with .6 cloth and Pacer's Zpoxy Finishing Resin. This
sets tension and compression. Polyurea resin provides superior smooth, exceptionally strong surfaces
with very little effort.
Last edited by FliteMetal; Sep 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM.
Aug 19, 2014, 09:46 AM
Official Boat Bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliteMetal
Remember flying surfaces are sheeted and glassed with .6 cloth with Pacer's fine Finishing Resin. This sets T&C. Polyurea resin provides a superior smooth surface with less work and effort to yield the super smooth subsurface for the
Flite-Metal covering.
OK, that is what I was after. That sounds like a reasonably well chosen combo of strength and finish. How are you applying the Styrospray2k? Brush? Sponge? And then keeping the surface static? (vs on a rotating mount to reduce runs). Then are you simply cutting through the cured surface via sanding to "fine tune" level the surface, prior to Flitemetal or primer? I'm not trying to give you the third degree at all, I just sound like it. ha ha.

What I'm after in my build is a very light weight finish. In past projects I've gone back and forth between using 0.6 oz cloth and 0.75 oz cloth and 0.8 oz cloth up to 1 oz cloth and I've used epoxies, polyurethanes and everything I can to try. There has been some debate as to what is lighter - some claim 0.8oz cloth may be the lightest combo (as well as stronger) as the weave is tighter than 0.6oz, meaning less filler in those uncovered weaves - be that epoxy or primer used as filler. More glass is present in the weave gaps (glass is lighter than epoxy) but in the end the glass is soaking up the resin and it's hard to say exactly what's lighter. Lighter usually means a lot more sanding (but not too much)
Aug 19, 2014, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
There are several issues in play. First of all we share the same AUW concerns, strength is not an issue.

FAI F4C Electric maximum weight sans batteries is 33 pounds. I am reducing as much of traditional 16th
balsa, .60 oz.sq.yd. lamnation with Z-Poxy Finishing Resin as possible to achieve tension and compression
with as smooth a finish, per component.

This translates into fewer prep stages. Each prep stage creates an opportunity for less than ideal laminate
chemistry and interlinking. Though these surfaces appear to be glass smooth, they are not. As they build up
they are either chemically reactivated to accumulate a thicker/stronger surface...or a mechanical gripping
surface is created.

It would be ideal if we were to find a chemical inter-link for the entire surface, this is not going to happen as
we are hobbist using industrial chemicals intended for entirely different purposes...and end results. So this
is the way it is and has always been. To try to direct one's enterprise toward the hobby market would be a
very bad investment because the margin of return is virtually "0".

In my case, each B-47 configuration has to weigh under 33# sans batteries. The airframe portrays two BuNo.
One extremely close to 26# the other in low 20's I have no choice but to utilize a laminate process permitting
me to glass Hi Load 60 Styrofoam with lightly sanded Z-poxy, and minimum primer capable of sustaining two
coats of Polyurea Resin to yield the perfect subsurface for .

The two configs are rather radical in both appearance and flight/mission/maneuver/functionality. One is the
1000th B-47 manufactured. One of its maneuvers is the LABS release of a nuclear weapon.

The second B-47 config for this single airframe portrays the first remote and autonomous airborne drones
used by SAC. These are fully described within my WattFlyer threads.

Anyone care to share how I portray two BuNo configurations in one B-47 airframe?

In The Beginning, In The Middle, In The End are the three project threads within WattFlyer. For now
this is enough to bring this thread up to speed.
Last edited by FliteMetal; Aug 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:53 AM
Thread OP

Self Leveling Requirement Of Polyurea Resin Applied To A Slope.

Ok, I need to answer the second question in your post. How to permit the self leveling attribute to occur
across the slope of the fuselage, vertical fin, horiz stab?

This is a quickly thrown together illustration of the asymetric distribution device used to distribute even
flow of Polyurea Resin across surface of the B-47 sections covered with the resin. Note the red arrows
were intended to indicate rotation of the disk. I failed to rotate it every frame...

The circle is there only to show the black rectangle in the center is really the edge of the plywood circle
with a 1 RPM motor attached to spin it slowly to assure even distribution of resin which has been spread
across it.

The circle has a rectangular piece of wood stuck through it onto which the opposite end is slide into a hole
in the CNC or Hotwire cut Hi Load 60 Polystyrene to permit its asymetric motion will assure Polyurea has
been distributed evenly across the surface while it is curing.

The device will run over night while resin cures. After removal from the circle, the rectangle and foam part
are moved to a safe location permitting it to complete the curing process.
Last edited by FliteMetal; Aug 20, 2014 at 05:47 PM.
Sep 18, 2014, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
Just got off the phone with Dick Reynolds, one of the current B-47 projects being done at this time. We've got Bernie's
here in RCG, Dick's 1/12th which has yet to find a real online home, my 1:8.7669, and Dave's 1/16th in Seattle.

Everyone's enjoyed sharing as each has progressed at their own pace. Dave's was finished first but has yet to ROG.
Last I heard he was looking for a jet pilot to do maiden. Dick's fuse is I believe being used at this time as the plug for
a fiber glass fuselage. So we move on down the road to ROG.
Sep 01, 2015, 02:23 PM
Thread OP

Bernie's B-47 and ahalf (.5)

Appears we have some B-47 activity again in Henderson, NV.
Don't you guys repeat the last takeoff and modified landing.
Dec 09, 2015, 01:43 PM
Thread OP

Smoothness Not Stiffness

Bernie's been up and back down...again Sorry to learn his servo plug issues still haunt the
runway. One this is for sure...our building skills are being honed to a sharp edge wth all the
opportunities we are faced with.

Sam managed to damage his eye with a thorn bush while clearing out a thicket area around
his house. Right smack in the middle of his lens. We'll know more this week. Your eye is the
fastest recovering organ in the body.

In re-reading this post I believe I have given the wrong impression releative to my desire
for a smooth surface without the traditional method of producing it with glass and resin.
Polyurea will result in a super smooth surface to receive Flite-Metal down gently with my
index finger is enough pressure to adhere each vertical row of aluminum.
Last edited by FliteMetal; Dec 09, 2015 at 02:31 PM.
May 31, 2019, 09:31 AM
Thread OP

Recovery and Resumption of the B-47...

Well...four (4) years later. Life presents health issues from time to time... Recovering from major pulmonary failure and gallbladder
issue...translated into three weeks in ICU and another two before I went to a recovery center for two. One looses their core really
fast and rebuilding it has take a year and a half. Sam recovered from his cardiac issue and built a retirement home in Kentucky. I've
constantly worked on B-47 refinement and constant resourcing documentation.

I am currently constructing the cockpit (2) and will have that in prototype form next week...June 2019. Never imagined it taking this
long...life gets in the way sometimes. Looking forward...not backward... Acquiring a larger CNC mill next month. This one with 16"
Z axis to greatly reduce turnaround times. This will permit milling 50% of the B-47 Z axis in a single session. Milling multiple 2" was
very time consuming...not only on the mill but in accurate alignment to assemble. Estimated savings is measured in days...

Back when this post began I had finally settled on the Dynamax. That has changed to the JetFan 120 with its 23# of thrust... At our
calculated AUW that's over 1:1.

Below are a few images to bring you up to speed on where we are at this point... This is representative of the contributions made by
Dick Reynolds and his 1/12th design. His initial CAD contribution permitted us to evolve to where we are. After we obtained Ashlar
Vellum CAD software we could edit and evolve what you are seeing below and in following posts. Dick's trip to the Smithsonian was
instrumental in discovery of engineering files that were here to fore unpublished...thirty some rolls of Boeing microfiche... I and
Dick have shared data and agony since our obsessive compulsive disorder began... Mine in 1954, his in 1950.

Sam and I gallop along at life speed.................
Last edited by FliteMetal; May 31, 2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Catch-Up
May 31, 2019, 11:46 AM
2019 EDF Jet Jam June 13-16
What an ambitious project!
May 31, 2019, 12:00 PM
Following! You have a fantastic project. I've wanted to build a "47" for a while just maybe not as big as yours. Looking forward to learning from your build!
Jun 01, 2019, 04:20 PM
Thread OP

1:8.7669 B-47E/WB/B Stratojet(s) (3)

I found out that Ken Cigler was wanting to build a B-47D elsewhere in RCGroups and posted a ton of resources for him to use
on his D. D model uses a pair of turboprops mounted in the inboard nacelle position. I posted enough on Ken's thread to permit
anyone to build either an E or D.

Click Here To Download The Former Set

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...-FinalDims.jpg

Smaller than 1:12th with six 70mm will possibly be problematic in weight vs. lift/thrust. Our two 1:8.7669 with bifurcated 120mm
inboard nacelle airframes are actually three (3) aircraft. My B-47 has a split personality in that it is the 1000th built and a YB with
releasable drones.
Last edited by FliteMetal; Jun 02, 2019 at 04:15 PM.
Jun 02, 2019, 04:26 PM
Thread OP

B-47 Cockpit Workup

Getting ready to print the 70 parts which make up the cockpit. Keeping the weight to a minimum is imperative...though a little nose
weight won't hurt with the short nose moment. Background drawing is the Boeing assembly erection drawing showing all cockpit
components. What I have initially shown is the ejection rail, seat frame, arm rests with ejection handle and an instrument panel
template
. There are rubberized hoods over both front and rear instrument panels.

You can see in the photo I have a lot of itty-bitties to put in here:
Last edited by FliteMetal; Jun 02, 2019 at 05:26 PM.
Jul 09, 2019, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Cockpit is coming along well though our air conditioning went out Saturday... Installation of new system began
this afternoon. This time of year in Houston this is common.

Surprised when outside unit arrived Monday morning and an inside unit this morning. Installation is said to be
completed by 7. Its 6:15 PM. Tech said he would return in thirty minutes. He looked like he'd been swimming.
Tough job this time of year.

Onward...and eventually upward.
Jul 15, 2019, 07:04 AM
Thread OP

Cockpit Tub

Name: 2019-07-14_213745_HeadOnTubView.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 52.3 KB
Description:

Name: 2015-08-22_180314_TubWireFrame.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 49.9 KB
Description:

Name: 2015-08-22_165756_TubStations.jpg
Size: 108.9 KB
Description:

With air conditioning replaced, I return to fleshing out the cockpit tub. Below is a head-on view of the cockpit tub with steps from the entry and bombardier/navigator station up beside pilot and copilot. To this point there are over seventy components to the tub. Will post pics this week as I near completion. Cockpit tub has to be completed by Tuesday when I fly to Dallas.

Name: 2019-07-14_213745_HeadOnTubView.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 52.3 KB
Description: Name: 2015-08-22_180314_TubWireFrame.jpg
Size: 49.9 KB
Description: Name: 2015-08-22_165756_TubStations.jpg
Size: 108.9 KB
Description:
Last edited by FliteMetal; Jul 15, 2019 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply