Apr 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
Thread OP

Looking like A Duck Doesn't Necessarily Quack...

Seeing that side view leads one into a lot of trouble. Datum lines are off and reflect on what could lead a viewer into assuming something that does not exist.

However when this is introduced...

You have to start scratching your head to figure out what's up with what I see...

As is usally the case, this leads to wondering what the heck is going on...

Obviously...short hand is in play...
Last edited by FliteMetal; Apr 27, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
Thread OP

By-N-Bi

Here's a clue...

Last edited by FliteMetal; Apr 27, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Apr 27, 2010, 01:17 PM
Thread OP

Bifurcation

This is what is really going on when viewed from about 11 o'clock instead of at right angle.

See updated images with Jetfan 120

Each EDF is mounted to a removable pylon insert onto which the nacelle and contents are mounted to.
The bifurcation serves as a vertical stator with minimum deflection angle.

A reverse angle view...

See updated images with Jetfan 120

The above view is a further change to my B-47. This is supposed to represent Tom's Dynamax with its motor specifically designed for the "load range" of Tommy's fan. I should have an updated CAD image shortly illustrating the pylon blade with proper EDF instead of the StuMAx 110's rear spinner...

The Dynamax design provides IMHO what I need for the B-47's landing approach...aka 2/3 to 3/4 throttle with excellent response. In this application it is how much air can I move...not how fast I move through it.

XPS packages their hub with Tommy's preassembled and balanced Dynamax blade/stator as a ready to use unit at a high value price point.
Last edited by FliteMetal; May 31, 2019 at 09:08 AM.
Apr 27, 2010, 02:12 PM
Thread OP

Winging It

This is where it is with respect to wing spars, flaps, interlocked pylon, and the fuselage truss.
Apr 27, 2010, 02:38 PM
HappyGoLucky
Looks Great! Subscribed.
Apr 29, 2010, 01:27 PM
Thread OP

Inboard Nacelle With Dynamax

Here we are with the earlier (Dynamax) position and resizing of the removable pylon blade.

The bottom up view provides you a better perspective to judge how the B-47 birfurcation will occur.

Last edited by FliteMetal; May 31, 2019 at 09:10 AM.
Jul 18, 2010, 10:52 PM
Just to be on the safe side, subscribing to this thread as well.
Jul 18, 2010, 11:30 PM
Classic jets rule
im pressive bit of work and good choice on the Fan . the location of the fan in the nacelle is good too as the longer the tail pipe the better with the Dynamax . i have flown one of these in my Nacelle with a 3 3/8" exhust dia. flew my 18-20 lbs falcon 120 very well.
Jul 19, 2010, 01:04 AM
Thread OP
Knee deep in spar and pylon rework after receipt of latest Boeing drawing. Things have slowed a bit since whirlwind start
in October. As everything gets into final configuration triple checking (aka second guessing) has set in. Sam returned from
vacation so flap rework will resume and testing at 60mph not too far down the "road". Dog days of summer set in...even the
rain is hot.

Tommy's Dynamax provides more at 2/3~3/4 throttle during long approach required on the B-47. Looking forward to
practicing approaches only serves to slow me down....day dreaming : )

Revisted this post while posting structural revisions. We're getting close...
Last edited by FliteMetal; Sep 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM.
Jul 19, 2010, 06:46 AM
Scale Modeler
Beautiful work Ed, i love the way you do ur drawings. So i suppose materializing will commence soon for this project.
Jul 21, 2010, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Its all coming together. wheels, brakes, electric retracts, struts, canopy, cockpit, etc...however only a fool would assume
the milling will be as spec'd. Every step of the way has been a work around. When milling is complete everything else gets
hot wired. Sammy, for every moment "not" spent assuming what someone else says will work...is an hour or two gained
overall!

The ONLY proof something will work is visual. This is how I have come to decisions on probably 25% of everything thus far.
The final decision on EDF, motor, and esc took patience because there are few who have been there with what I spec'd as
required. While the 99%ers are concerned with speed...it is the least of my concerns.

The images I have shared online over the last six months are points of reference along the way to where project ends.
The current drawing set is completely different than has been shown thus far. I anticipate completed CNC in the next
five weeks. Then things can get back on track.

10/13/2014... Optimistic when I wrote the above

I later discovered redesign was necessary as we moved deeper into 3D CAD and CNC. CNC physical constraints of Z axis
gantries makes it necessary to mill more pieces and composite them into the final shapes. Working in 3D CAD means you
work down and across surfaces from narrowest to widest shape. This will give the abiiity to smoothly mill 180 degrees out
on undercutting. Otherwise a 4D capability is necessary to mill without partitioning and milling portions 180 out.
Last edited by FliteMetal; Sep 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM.
Jul 21, 2010, 01:31 PM
Very nice, really like what you're doing
Jul 21, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
JazzMan2001,

Thanks!

The thread on WattFlyer is designed to permit anyone following it to duplicate the B-47E-IV being constructed. From the get go
I decided this would be an entirely open project because most are not...they are merely snap shots after each step.

So far there have been four design revisions. Each the result of either a power system change or new multiple view drawings with
verification of areas which were assumed to be one way because of non-disclosure on another drawing.

Hope you enjoy it enough to build one for yourself.
Last edited by FliteMetal; May 07, 2011 at 07:53 AM.
Jul 21, 2010, 07:15 PM
Quad Questions Team member
subscribed
May 07, 2011, 08:16 AM
Thread OP
Sorry I have not kept this thread parallel to the latest state of this project. I will post images reflecting where we are as of this morning.
A lot of energy was directed toward clean accurate cross sections squared one unto the other optical sight to tail turret. When I posted
the initial information here we were still considering use of the StuMax. The Stu's 110 fan is an excellent unit and actually what we were
going to originally use until the motor situation settled down for the Dynamax. We have engineered bifurcation to accommodate internal
components in our inboard nacelles and removable pylon blades.

These images are analog workups used along the way through our development process. The yield from SolidWorks with these analog
drawings is more rapid than it would be if rendered from scratch in CAD alone.

Obviously this example is an early rendition of the to-be-milled front of the fuselage. The yield from Solid Works takes you right to
every surface in need of editing. A 1/72nd scale Hasegawa B-47E is utilized as an auditor against renderings resulting from initial
lofts of cross sections (aka formers).

Last edited by FliteMetal; May 08, 2018 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply