New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old May 21, 2010, 11:11 AM
MIG-29 is offline
Find More Posts by MIG-29
Registered User
I connect V2 Shield to Ardupilot and Source 2 purple has connection with Source 1 red, source 2 red and source 3 red.

Question: What if I connect the GPS module (the one used by Remzibi OSD) to the white EM 406 connector? Would there still be any problems? As I said Ardupilot with Ardushield V2 already worked perfect with Ublox GPS that was connected through its tiny adapter board to the white EM 406 connector from the shield...

MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG-29 View Post
But the Ardupilot worked with the Ardushield and Ublox GPS (with its tiny adapter board).

These problems only occured when I tried to use the GPS used by Remzibi OSD...

Do I still have to jumper the source 2 purple with source 2 red? I checked for the continuity and I found out that there actually is continuity between those two points that you advice to jumper...

MIG-29
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2010, 11:26 AM
captaingeek is offline
Find More Posts by captaingeek
master of the universe
captaingeek's Avatar
wow its amazing the work that has gone into this and the results that are being accomplished! great work gents. I can't beleive this is possible these days at the hobby level.
Old May 21, 2010, 01:14 PM
HappyKillmore is offline
Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Suspended Account
MIG-29, did you change the #define GPS_PROTOCOL 0 setting in the ap_2_6_header.h tab? Please note that there is a GCS_PROTOCOL as well, that's not what you need to change. This setting defines uBlox or NMEA.

Thanks captaingeek, lots have people have pit LOTS of hard work into all of these components. Jordi and Chris at DIYDrones, Doug, Jason and Jose did tons of work on the code for ArduPilot and ArduIMU and Remzibi for his OSD!!!

I'm about to start a new thread for people who want to use just the ArduIMU with or without the magnetometer for use in submarines...where I guess GPS doesn't work (but I think I'd try a GPS with external antenna and it really should at the depths hobby people are going)....

EDIT: After further reading, almost all of the GPS signal is bounced off the water's surface...so I guess GPS is useless. I'm going to get started on the ArduIMU + 3 axis Magnetometer + Remzibi OSD solution this afternoon.
Last edited by HappyKillmore; May 21, 2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 03:49 PM
diogeneyves is offline
Find More Posts by diogeneyves
Registered User
diogeneyves's Avatar
Hello, I noticed that in Ardupilotconfigtool, the attitude of the points don't change when I select them on the course. Have you an explanation? With version 1.4.12
Last edited by diogeneyves; May 21, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 04:07 PM
HappyKillmore is offline
Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Suspended Account
I do not have an explaination. I haven't done any real-life or emulator testing since ArduPilot source 2.3.3. It's on my to-do list.
Old May 21, 2010, 05:39 PM
MIG-29 is offline
Find More Posts by MIG-29
Registered User
Yes, I changed GPS_PROTOCOL to 0 setting in the ap_2_6_header.h tab.

What else should I do?

Question: What if I connect the GPS module (the one used by Remzibi OSD) to the white EM 406 connector? Would there still be any problems? As I said Ardupilot with Ardushield V2 already worked perfect with Ublox GPS that was connected through its tiny adapter board to the white EM 406 connector from the shield...


Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
MIG-29, did you change the #define GPS_PROTOCOL 0 setting in the ap_2_6_header.h tab? Please note that there is a GCS_PROTOCOL as well, that's not what you need to change. This setting defines uBlox or NMEA.

Thanks captaingeek, lots have people have pit LOTS of hard work into all of these components. Jordi and Chris at DIYDrones, Doug, Jason and Jose did tons of work on the code for ArduPilot and ArduIMU and Remzibi for his OSD!!!

I'm about to start a new thread for people who want to use just the ArduIMU with or without the magnetometer for use in submarines...where I guess GPS doesn't work (but I think I'd try a GPS with external antenna and it really should at the depths hobby people are going)....

EDIT: After further reading, almost all of the GPS signal is bounced off the water's surface...so I guess GPS is useless. I'm going to get started on the ArduIMU + 3 axis Magnetometer + Remzibi OSD solution this afternoon.
Old May 21, 2010, 05:42 PM
HappyKillmore is offline
Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Suspended Account
Are you connecting to the 5V or the 3.3V GPS connection? The other issue is the white wire for Remzibi's GPS should be connected to the "RX" or "IN" pin on the shield. You may have to swap white and blue.

I have never tried the EM 406 connection personally, but there's no reason that shouldn't work.

Again, the ArduShield V2 has a mux onboard.

This code is what concerns me. I have no clue what it should be set to

Code:
void setGPSMux(void)
{
	#if SHIELD_VERSION < 1
		digitalWrite(7, LOW); //Remove Before Fly Pull Up resistor
    #else
		digitalWrite(7, HIGH); //Remove Before Fly Pull Up resistor
	#endif
}

void setCommandMux(void)
{
	#if SHIELD_VERSION < 1
		digitalWrite(7, HIGH); //Remove Before Fly Pull Up resistor
    #else
		digitalWrite(7, LOW); //Remove Before Fly Pull Up resistor
	#endif
}
It's on the system tab of the ArduPilot source. You might want to try setting

#define SHIELD_VERSION 0

in the ap_2_6_header.h tab and see if it works.
Old May 21, 2010, 06:02 PM
MIG-29 is offline
Find More Posts by MIG-29
Registered User
Hi HappyKillmore,

Thanks for the advices.
I connect to the 5 V connection. Connecting to 3.3 V gives me the same "results"... I swapped the white and blue wire on the GPS connector.

I was thinking that the EM406 connection should work since it already worked when I connected Ublox GPS through the adaptor board to the EM406 connection.

By then, why would it work when connecting to the EM406 connector and why wouldn't it work when connecting to the other "connections"?

MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
Are you connecting to the 5V or the 3.3V GPS connection? The other issue is the white wire for Remzibi's GPS should be connected to the "RX" or "IN" pin on the shield. You may have to swap white and blue.

I have never tried the EM 406 connection personally, but there's no reason that shouldn't work.

Again, the ArduShield V2 has a mux onboard.

This code is what concerns me. I have no clue what it should be set to

Code:
void setGPSMux(void)
{
	#if SHIELD_VERSION < 1
		digitalWrite(7, LOW); //Remove Before Fly Pull Up resistor
    #else
		digitalWrite(7, HIGH); //Remove Before Fly Pull Up resistor
	#endif
}

void setCommandMux(void)
{
	#if SHIELD_VERSION < 1
		digitalWrite(7, HIGH); //Remove Before Fly Pull Up resistor
    #else
		digitalWrite(7, LOW); //Remove Before Fly Pull Up resistor
	#endif
}
It's on the system tab of the ArduPilot source. You might want to try setting

#define SHIELD_VERSION 0

in the ap_2_6_header.h tab and see if it works.
Last edited by MIG-29; May 21, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 06:54 PM
HappyKillmore is offline
Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Suspended Account
The Shield V2 has an oboard "MUX" which enables and disables the different connectors. There are 4 serial connections on the shield. EM 406, FTDI, 5V GPS and 3.3V GPS. I fried my shield trying to figure out how to get around it.... still haven't heard what settings enable it.

That's why I want you to try #define SHIELD_VERSION 0 and see if it works. Who knows, maybe you have to use the bind plug (or remove before fly) to get things to work with the sheild in place.
Old May 21, 2010, 07:12 PM
MIG-29 is offline
Find More Posts by MIG-29
Registered User
How did you manage to fry your Shield V2 board?
I hope not by just plugging the GPS module into the 5V or 3.3 V GPS connections...

In 6 hours I should be at the office and I will try the #define SHIELD_VERSION 0 procedure... Maybe this would work.

If not, I am going to try to connect the GPS module to the EM 406 connector.

Did you manage to get Arduino board, Ardushield (V2) and Remzibi OSD work together and sharing GPS?

Another question: Does arduino autopilot need GPS fix before it can go to stabilisation or fly-by-wire mode? I assume it needs GPS fix...

Thanks,
MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
The Shield V2 has an oboard "MUX" which enables and disables the different connectors. There are 4 serial connections on the shield. EM 406, FTDI, 5V GPS and 3.3V GPS. I fried my shield trying to figure out how to get around it.... still haven't heard what settings enable it.

That's why I want you to try #define SHIELD_VERSION 0 and see if it works. Who knows, maybe you have to use the bind plug (or remove before fly) to get things to work with the sheild in place.
Old May 21, 2010, 09:30 PM
HappyKillmore is offline
Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Suspended Account
I fried by V2 board by trying to jumper around the mux before I knew it existed. I didn't realize that Jordi had added this to the V2 board (which really is a nice feature if there's some documentation to support it). So I soldered a jumper from a 5V RX pin to the 3.3V RX pin and I think that's how I fried it...I'm not actually sure how I did it but it was clearly my fault with what I was doing with my hap-hazzard jumpering and soldering.

I did not get the V2 shield to *ever* get a GPS lock. That said, I again assume it has to do with the mux blocking all of my signals connected to the 5V GPS connection.

As for details of how the flight modes work, I can't comment. All modes are new to me and I have no idea what the requirements are to use them.

That will be part of my simulator testing.
Old May 22, 2010, 01:01 AM
MIG-29 is offline
Find More Posts by MIG-29
Registered User
With #define SHIELD_VERSION 0 I get message "no GPS, last 20 s"


Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
I fried by V2 board by trying to jumper around the mux before I knew it existed. I didn't realize that Jordi had added this to the V2 board (which really is a nice feature if there's some documentation to support it). So I soldered a jumper from a 5V RX pin to the 3.3V RX pin and I think that's how I fried it...I'm not actually sure how I did it but it was clearly my fault with what I was doing with my hap-hazzard jumpering and soldering.

I did not get the V2 shield to *ever* get a GPS lock. That said, I again assume it has to do with the mux blocking all of my signals connected to the 5V GPS connection.

As for details of how the flight modes work, I can't comment. All modes are new to me and I have no idea what the requirements are to use them.

That will be part of my simulator testing.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:27 AM
MIG-29 is offline
Find More Posts by MIG-29
Registered User
Should I try to program the GPS used by Remzibi OSD according to instructions found here: http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...cosys-gps-with

I am thinking that the GPS used by Remzibi OSD is based on the same MTK chip as Locosys GPS and then it might need to be programmed according to the instructions in the link above before connecting it to the EM 406 connector on the Ardushield V2...

What do you think?

MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG-29 View Post
With #define SHIELD_VERSION 0 I get message "no GPS, last 20 s"
Old May 22, 2010, 08:10 AM
HappyKillmore is offline
Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Suspended Account
No, all the correct PMTK messages get sent when the ArduPilot starts if you have selected NMEA for the GPS_PROTOCOL. You should see this in Hyper terminal when the ArduPilot starts up. If you don't see these messages, then GPS_PROTOCOL is not set correctly or you're using the wrong firmware/source code.

Are you using the version of the ArduPilot source that I posted or the original version of 2.6 from the repository?

My source: http://www.happykillmore.com/Softwar...ted/Source.zip
Old May 22, 2010, 09:20 AM
MIG-29 is offline
Find More Posts by MIG-29
Registered User
Hi everybody!

Assume that I would be interested in the first phase to test only the stabilisation and fly-by-wire flight modes. Assume also that the GPS does not work and that I do not have a Ublox GPS available (The one that actually worked with my setup). What Ardupilot firmware should I use in order to test the above two flight modes WITHOUT the need of a GPS lock?

Thanks,
MIG-29
Last edited by MIG-29; May 22, 2010 at 03:50 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Remzibi OSD (Poor Man's OSD) integration with ArduPilot HappyKillmore FPV Talk 543 Apr 07, 2015 01:27 PM
Video REmzibi OSD current sensor test mmormota Electric Plane Talk 7 Oct 10, 2009 11:13 AM
Video Fasst dropout test with Remzibi OSD mmormota Electric Plane Talk 0 May 29, 2009 12:48 PM
Discussion Getting "waiting for GPS data" on Dragon OSD Vaportech FPV Talk 9 Aug 18, 2008 11:58 AM