Sep 27, 2001, 12:31 PM
Hairy E-Pilot

Questions for clipped wing T-52 flyers

Hello friends

I have rebuilt my T-52 wing, I trimmed the trailing edge and added ailerons, 1” wide and full span, the cord is 7 3/4". The span is now 43”, I cut out the cracked areas next to the center section and it has 0 deg dihedral. Its quite windy where I live so I’ve been looking to increase the wing loading, with the new wing its up to about 14 1/2 oz/sqft. I have been running a permax 480 (long can 400) with a 6 x 4 direct. I need a new motor so I haven’t flown it yet.

So now the questions…
With a wing loading of 14 to 15 oz/sqft and about 50 watts/lb will this thing be a handful to fly? Will it hand launch? Should I get a gearbox, and if so what prop/ratio combinations should I try?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Gary
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2001, 12:53 PM
Giddy up!
Gary,

I won't be a handful to fly at that wingloading but don't expect it float around the sky like the trainer version. It will hand launch with no problem. My aileron version with a Magnetic Mayhem / 3:1 MAS GB / 12x8 MAS folder / 8-10 x800ar pack has a 23-25 oz/sqft wingloading and jumps out of my hand. It's much more responsive with ailerons and also alot of fun.
Sep 27, 2001, 01:47 PM
Space Coast USA
Use the 480 with a 2.5:1 gearbox and a 9x6 or a 2:1 box with an 8x6 along with 8 1600 sanyo or panasonic batteries. It won't jump like the MM motor but it will be very flyable and fun.
hoppy