Apr 29, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hey!!!! I never got my plans!!! LOL!!! Hahahahaha!!!!

Cute picture!!! She is saying "Pleeeeeeeease?"

Dave
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2010, 03:40 PM
Wheres the next instalment??????? Enjoying this build blog lots. Dont you understand how important this is joe? Stop doing other stuff immediately. Lock yourself in your workshop and get lots of pics

Like I can talk....... haven't been in the shed building for about 2 weeks now real life takes over
May 02, 2010, 08:06 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Thread OP
Sorry man! I've been out of town....get some more stuff posted later!
May 03, 2010, 03:23 AM
Hehehe, Just kidding. I am really enjoying the build though. You especially show all the little bits to watch out for when you are building, which helps a lot. Is the build you are blogging, a new one, or is it a blog of the original one you done pre-release of the plans? If its a new one, will it have a different covering scheme?

Tony
May 03, 2010, 09:07 PM
Thread OP
Hey Tony,
It's the old one that I'm flying, but I've been dying to post the photos! No building for me, till I see snow on the ground!
May 03, 2010, 09:15 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini
O.K...I'm getting bored! Has any body gotten their plans yet? I need a building friend!
Still waiting for delivery.

Ken
May 04, 2010, 07:52 AM
Thread OP
Hey guys!

Please be patient. After you order the plans, it still takes some time for that money to go thru paypal, to the printer and be sent out. Our printer has sent out 11 PCA-2 plans, 2 DAG 60 plans, 2 Profiles, 1 DAG-R2, 1 DAG-R1, and 4 RPGS just this last week. I know all these have gone out, but some were at the beginning of the week and some at the end.

So please allow the normal 5 - 10 business days for the arrival of the plans.

Thanks,
Joe
May 05, 2010, 03:18 PM
RC Group therapist

Proper Radial Engine

Hey guys,
Good news.....I found an alternative to the ridiculously over priced Williams brothers Radial engine kits. It's a Radial from Parkflyer Plastics.....the best part is the $10 Price:

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=195

I'm planning on using this Radial for my build, and fabricating my own exhaust ring for the front to get the distinctive "Whirlwind" look. I think this will look great on the front of this model, and it's almost the correct scale(Not noticable without a micrometer) looking at the plans.

My plans have been in a couple days, and I should get my wood order today. I'll post any other useful info I get for you guys.

Best Regards,
-Mike
May 05, 2010, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Very Nice Mike! Good find!

The diameter of mine is about 8 inches. I'm not saying mine is correct....it sure is missing some cylinders, but I hope 6 inches looks about right. I'd be curious how thick that plastic is too.

Tell us when you get it. For 10 bucks, it's worth purchasing!
Last edited by jodini; May 05, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
May 05, 2010, 06:22 PM
RC Group therapist
Hi Joe,

The plastic is not very thick, but it should withstand the vibration from the motor fairly decent as is. I have a similar dummy radial on a Fokker Dr.1 with a .90 FS and it has held together for about 8 years. I plan to fill the inside with the required balance wieght cased in expanding foam or epoxy. It might be a touch small, but if you look at all the photos of the full scale the engine doesn't extend outside of the fusalage diameter before it necks down at the front. For $10 bucks I had to order it just to see how it would work. If the diameter is too small I will probably cut the cylinders off the supplied crank case and mount them to a crankcase I fabricate. I also have to fab the exhaust manifold. I think it will work nicely. I'll keep you posted.
I also ordered a set of scale posistion light lens covers so I could add the teardop lights on the wing tips, and the tail. I haven't decided if I'll make the lights functional or not, I know for sure I won't fly it at night, but it would sure look cool.

-Mike
May 05, 2010, 07:04 PM

More Dummy Engines

Since I live here in Lakeland I know what Frank Tiano sells and he has several sizes of Dummy Engines. They would be better for Cowled engines but they weight more then the plastic, but we need the weight up front.

Jim

http://www.franktiano.com/scaleproductFrameset.htm
May 05, 2010, 07:09 PM
RC Group therapist
I had seen several places with the "In cowl type" radials, but with the engine exposed I think they might look a bit off. I ordered the one from the link above, and I'll post when I've had a chance to re-engineer it for my PCA-2 build. As of yet, I'm still sitting with plans in hand, and no build materials so my mind is racing with all the things I'd like to do for my build.

Regards,
-Mike
May 05, 2010, 07:42 PM

PCA-2 Wood supply

Mike,
Do you have any idea as to how long it takes to get the wood from National? I placed an order on May 1st after you wrote to me about them and have not heard anything from them except that they got my money from Paypal.
I also found it quite interesting that they carry all sorts of wood except spruce. That seems strange. Let me know if you hear anything from them.
Thanks.
Pete
May 05, 2010, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Hey guys,
Good news.....I found an alternative to the ridiculously over priced Williams brothers Radial engine kits. It's a Radial from Parkflyer Plastics.....the best part is the $10 Price:

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=195

I'm planning on using this Radial for my build, and fabricating my own exhaust ring for the front to get the distinctive "Whirlwind" look. I think this will look great on the front of this model, and it's almost the correct scale(Not noticable without a micrometer) looking at the plans.

My plans have been in a couple days, and I should get my wood order today. I'll post any other useful info I get for you guys.

Best Regards,
-Mike
For a true scale radial, I would look for one that comes close to 7.6 inches. So... a 7 1/2" diameter engine would looks real nice. Anything smaller may not look right. Just wanted you guys to know what a true scale engine would be and what to look for.

Dave

May 05, 2010, 09:58 PM
RC Group therapist
Hi Dave,
Just so you weren't worried(and by worried I mean; thinking I'm a dumb) about the selection. I just need the cylinders since I'll have to make a support structure(crank case) that fits around my fourstroke. Trust me, It'll look good when I finish. Again, all the pics I've seen of the original, the radial is smaller than the outer fuselage diameter. There are tons of dummy radials available, but they range from cheap to ridiculously expensive. I don't think I could go wrong for $10 I have not found one that won't require a bit of reworking to appease my O.C.D. At least it will have the proper number of cylinders.

Pete,
It took a couple of days before I got notification that my order shipped. Thier website says 3-5 days for processing, and the shipping time depends on what method you selected. There's a tracking link on the website.

Regards,
-Mike

Quick Reply