Apr 23, 2010, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Top Flight P-47 60 size

Looking for some input on the this models flying characteristics. I'm new to the war birds and flight handling of these birds. I have flown a super chimpmunk...top flight's Cessna 182...other trainers. I know this plane is heavier on the nose requiring extra power. Flown it on the Real Flight Simulator....But need some real advice from pilots who have flown this. I will be installing a Satio 100 (4stroke) engine..Robart retracts...
Thanks in advance!
Joe
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2010, 09:44 AM
Mr Clean

P47

I have not flown the bird but if you are fling a Super Chipmunk taildragger you will be fine. Saito 100 will be a great engine with plenty of power. Just remember it's a WARBIRD and keep the speed up a little on landings. Error on the side of nose heavy with the CG and it should be smooth flying. I have seen this plane fly and it flies great.

FTIR
Apr 25, 2010, 06:59 AM
Are you refering to the kit version, or the ARF?
Apr 25, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thread OP
This is a kit plan. I have had it for about 2 years. Now my son is getting me to get started on it. Being a warbird I'm sure it handles much different than trainers or the top flight cessna 182 kit. If you have flown this kit trying to feel out the power adjustments to turns, approach, etc.
Thanks!
Apr 25, 2010, 11:32 AM
Wood EX. The kit flies on rails. I bought one, built it and flew the snot out of it. I needed something to chase my fw190. I'll be building another for a friend here soon when tower decides to ship it. I want the 1/5th kit in hopes it flies as good as it's little brother. Landings are a breeze with a little flaps, remember, it's a warbird so keep the power on. About 1/4 to final landing and throttle down over the runway!!!!
Apr 25, 2010, 11:38 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the input! You built the Top Flight kit? Do you have any video or pics of yours? Also did you install retracts? If so what type? Any problems with the system?
Apr 25, 2010, 11:42 AM
Topflite. I used spring air retracts and shindin machine scale struts. Sorry, no pics. I'll contact my friend and see if he has pics of it as I sold it over two years ago. I installed the retracts in the scale location so there were mods. I'll do another build on my buddies when he gets it.
Last edited by demire; Apr 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Apr 25, 2010, 11:47 AM
Thread OP
Awesome! I have built many of the Top Flight kits and have been very pleased with it. Hope the P-47 is as good as the rest of them. Plan on installing Robart unless you recommend anything different
Apr 25, 2010, 10:13 PM
Robarts are good. I build mostly FW190's now but The P-47 is a sweet flier. I found out today, the build of my buddies p-47 will result in me getting the larger one as payment.. I like that. I figure it will take me about two months to build as he has all the parts up front.

Watch for it!

Quick Reply