Jul 12, 2010, 07:03 AM

Parzone Extra Bad wings

Just looked at mine(purchased June 29/2010) and they are flat on top also.
I emailed support at Horizon to report my problem also, worst thing is i glued mine on"crap".
I should have known due to it flys and lands better "upside down"
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialtonehunter
Just looked at mine(purchased June 29/2010) and they are flat on top also.
I emailed support at Horizon to report my problem also, worst thing is i glued mine on"crap".
I should have known due to it flys and lands better "upside down"
Unlucky!!! I cant send mine back either as i had a bad accident with my dremmel ;p The sanding bit on it exploded tearing up some of the foam + i glues the landing gear back on.
Jul 12, 2010, 08:28 AM
gravity is your friend, is it?

wing issue

just talked to product support, first they have heard of this, I e-mail pics of mine to them, others please do the same...
Jul 12, 2010, 08:33 AM
Former Sloper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
The "upside-down" airfoil thing sounds weird, as it should have a symmetrical airfoil. I'll have the team check it out. Stay tuned, as we may need one of you to send one of these in for us to examine.
I just checked mine by eye and with a straight-edge at various points along the length of my wings and the upper and lower airfoils are indeed symmetrical at the root, but about one third the distance away from the fuselage the tops of the wings start to flatten out, and by the half-way point most of the airfoil on top is flat while the underside of the wings maintain a more proper airfoil shape the whole length so the issue gets worse along the top as you get closer to the wingtips. The outer half of the wing literally looks like an upside-down semi-symmetrical airfoil. My wings are definitely defective.
Jul 12, 2010, 08:37 AM
Team Futaba
This explains why I am so impressed with how well mine flies inverted!!
Jul 12, 2010, 10:46 AM
I just came from the local hobby shop. First they had heard of it also. They have had no input from horizon. We checked one he had on the counter and it looked O.K. Do the newer kits have a different shape to the wings? The one in the hobby shop had a curve to both the top and bottom, there was no flatness to either side.
Jul 12, 2010, 11:59 AM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris butcher
I just came from the local hobby shop. First they had heard of it also. They have had no input from horizon. We checked one he had on the counter and it looked O.K. Do the newer kits have a different shape to the wings? The one in the hobby shop had a curve to both the top and bottom, there was no flatness to either side.
You just confirmed what Dave E. of Horizon Hobby had posted earlier saying it supposed to be Fully Symmetrical Wing Airfoil and from your description they are supposed to be.
Jul 12, 2010, 12:05 PM
Jungmeister 55
Wow, I must say this is amazing. I was there with Carlos at one of our LHS in Orlando Saturday when the guy told us about this "condition" and actually showed us one plane that had been returned with this problem...

Although I don't own one of these Extras, I will stay tuned to this thread very closely and follow it to resolution.

It seems to me Horizon Hobby and/or Parkzone will have to address this to all that own this plane's satisfaction.

Gerry.
Jul 12, 2010, 12:10 PM
Account closed
Hi Gerry!

It seems like having a Semi-Symmetrical Airfoil "and" with the Curved side on TOP would yield better lift and solid landings.

The fully Symmetrical certainly is better at acrobatics and windy conditions but, the landings would still need to be at speed, especially using heavier battery packs.

The gent that swapped his wing assembly said the model greatly improved in Landings! (Semi-Symmetrical)

Carlos
Jul 12, 2010, 12:14 PM
Jungmeister 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Hi Gerry!

It seems like having a Semi-Symmetrical Airfoil "and" with the Curved side on TOP would yield better lift and solid landings.

The fully Symmetrical certainly is better at acrobatics and windy conditions but, the landings would still need to be at speed, especially using heavier battery packs.

The gent that swapped his wing assembly said the model greatly improved in Landings! (Semi-Symmetrical)

Carlos
Definitely agree. But still, the reversed wing issue needs to be corrected by the manufacturing/distributing teams.
Jul 12, 2010, 12:15 PM
Account closed
Yeah, first thing first
Jul 12, 2010, 12:37 PM
Team Futaba
I cannot get a photo posted right now, but take two flat pieces, rulers, wood, whatever. Lay them flat on the wing top and bottom near the tip. Notice the differences in the angles they form with the chord line. Then do the same near the root.

On mine the pieces at the root form roughly the same angles top and bottom indicating a generally symmetrical airfoil section.

At the tips the piece on the top is at a lower angle than the piece on the bottom indicating an "inverted" semi-symmetrical wing section with the flat part on the top of the wing rather than on the bottom.

This confirms the change fro a symmetrical section at the root to an inverted semi-symmetrical section at the tip.

I plan to flip my wings and do some testing to see if I can feel a difference in performance.
Jul 12, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hmmm, Just checked mine and yep, flat on top, nice and rounded underneath.

I wonder what Horizion will have to say? It seems a pretty big error on their part. I wonder if they will accept it and replace wings for all those who have bought them?

I have only just started to fly planes (normally fly heli's). Did notice that it needed a bit more up elevator to fly nice, apart from that i like the way it flies as it is!!
Jul 12, 2010, 01:57 PM
Former Sloper
Quote:
Originally Posted by simano
Definitely agree. But still, the reversed wing issue needs to be corrected by the manufacturing/distributing teams.
It's actually not a reversed wing issue because they're not supposed to be semi-symmetrical like these affected wings appear to be. It could be that the actual molds that these wings were formed in at the factory weren't made correctly (i used to be a mold maker 35 years ago), or maybe something went wrong with the foam cores after they were removed from the mold, maybe they were set on their tops before they cooled, dunno.
Jul 12, 2010, 02:01 PM
how about replacing airframes with damaged that can be linked to this...ripped out gear from unnecessarily difficult landings?

Quick Reply