Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 22, 2010, 05:47 AM
Crash land!
Gallery

The Calm Before the Storm - Jan Juc Australia

There was a huge storm rolling in over Juc this afternoon so I decided to get the Passive out and go for a cruise.

It is way to windy to fly 99% of the year at this beach, but because the storm was on it's way it was eerily calm.

Toward the end of the flight I could see the rain coming in over the ocean, and the wind picked up.

I had a tiny bit of grass to land on, in front of the surf club (shown in the last pic), lucky I was flying the trusty Passive which crawled to a safe but hairy landing. My hands were shaking by the end of the flight.

At least it amused the surfers in relatively flat surf.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Joffa_Dan; Apr 22, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2010, 06:24 AM
amazing
I am keener then ever to improve mine now!
Apr 22, 2010, 08:00 AM
Hi JD,

Just an amazing place to fly, Beautiful !!

I love the second pic, great colors, location and the approaching storm makes it really dramatic.

Great Work!
Apr 22, 2010, 08:06 AM
olivier
Whaoh, stunning colours! beautiful pics. Those weather conditions are always interresting to be pictured, nice job indeed!

cheers

olivier
Apr 22, 2010, 08:09 AM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Well done.

-Tim
Apr 22, 2010, 09:10 AM
Man...What beautiful photos, what beautiful place... I need to move!!!
Apr 22, 2010, 09:33 AM
Norbert
Fantastic pictures, they have it all: rain, sun, wind, waves, surfers ... !
Beautiful landscape!
Cheers,
Norbert
Apr 22, 2010, 11:05 AM
Wow! I just came from Olivier's thread and now yours. Two gorgeous threads with beautiful pictures. Two beautiful places to live!
Apr 22, 2010, 01:12 PM
Great photos.
Apr 22, 2010, 04:56 PM
Crash land!
Thanks guys! It's a beautiful time of year down here at the moment.

Oliv, I think we are using the same camera Fx-150. A superb little point and shoot.
Apr 23, 2010, 02:07 AM
Crash land!
Sorry guys looks like ImageShack is playing up

Edit: They're listening, working now
Last edited by Joffa_Dan; Apr 23, 2010 at 02:21 AM.
Apr 23, 2010, 05:36 AM
Great COOL pics/ colors

Guy
Apr 23, 2010, 12:33 PM
Beautiful nature you have around
Apr 23, 2010, 08:27 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Holy Smokes!!!

How did I miss these.... Awesome shots, love the color.

Adam, I am learning that the Passive wing is fantastic for ultra no wind, that said I am also learning that a solid (not hollowed out) wing of the same span 80" or 90" like the thing I am flying now actually buffers the wind better as it has more mass/weight to rotate. It might be worth having two wings handy for those cool opportunities you run into.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike
Apr 24, 2010, 12:31 AM
Crash land!
Cheers Mike.

The conditions whilst flying were perfect, no wind at all. It was only when I thought about landing it began to pick up.

It was a tricky landing as you can see from the last photo, I had a flag pole at one end of the runway, and a patrol tower at the other. I had to land into the wind from the tower side and just as I was flying past it, the wind kicked up and wanted to smash me into it. I had to give it full gas to escape, which made the plane get completely side-ways 1-2 meters off the ground.

My heart skipped a beat... I just gained enough control to land on one wheel whith the plane wresting lightly on a wing tip. Not graceful, but effective

I'm waiting on a Heptad from Jeff, so the wing from this may work in well with what you're saying. Thanks again for the advice.

-Adam