Apr 21, 2010, 12:16 AM
Running jokes into the ground
Thread OP
Discussion

Boeing Bird of Prey EDF jet!!!

Well, for the last few weeks, I have been working on a new project, that is definitely flourishing. This is an extremely unique model of a Boeing Bird of Prey. I will not be building it, due to a list of back projects and work, but expect the first design in the next 2-3 weeks.

Here are some design aspects

-Designed as a near scale model of a Boeing Bird of Prey
-Magnetic duct system for a wide variety of flight envelopes
-Retractable Landing Gear (probably will be removable, for slower flying power systems.
-Balsa wood/monokote or tissue construction.
-retractable NACA vents for added power

The bird of prey is a model I have been working on for the last month or so. It is designed off several sketches of the Bird of Prey, and is almost a scale model. What sets this airplane apart is a magnetic duct system. This means that you can do from a nice field screamer jet with retracts in the morning to a nice, slow flying bellyflopper for terrorizing those indoor planes. This plane will be designed to accept a wide range of power systems, including any edf 55mm to 70mm, with options for a pusher prop and twin 40mm edfs (for those who have a pair of micros laying around), and then swap them out in just a few minutes. The retractable landing gear may also end up removable by a set of nylon screws, so weight can be reduced to squeeze that little bit of power out on flights, or just to slow it down more. To aid with air flow (and the notoriously crappy ducts on the BOP) there will also be retractable NACA vents that open either on their own channel, or in tandem with the retracts, which will also help with "cheating" air into the ducts.

And the best part is, all of this will be available for free. The design will be absolutely free, and can be customized on PM. There will be several versions that evolve over time, so here is what I am looking at

Models
BOP scale flexible
BOP scale light

Rudders
working
belly flop

Power setups
55mm
64mm
70mm
Brushless pusher
small gas (if interested, pm me)

Parts
replacement nosecones

If you have any ideas, please PM me, or post here.
Last edited by b-29er; Apr 21, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2010, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
The plane itself will be 50"x25", rudders to nosecone.
Apr 27, 2010, 10:04 PM
Thread OP
Well, I have nearly finished construction of the jet and the 70mm unit for the plane. My next task will be to put in bays for the battery, retracts and NACA inlets. My question is this- What material would you like to see this plane made for? 3mm depron or balsa?
Apr 27, 2010, 11:06 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-29er
Well, I have nearly finished construction of the jet and the 70mm unit for the plane. My next task will be to put in bays for the battery, retracts and NACA inlets. My question is this- What material would you like to see this plane made for? 3mm depron or balsa?
Heck...I'd take either but I'm thinking 3mm depron. It would be a cool EDF jet!

Best,
Tony
Apr 27, 2010, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I will be posting a pic of my progress tomorrow. I have nearly finished the assembly of the outlet cone for the 70mm jet. My plan is to make the prop version next.

Xplane, check out your pm box.
Apr 27, 2010, 11:43 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-29er
Thanks! I will be posting a pic of my progress tomorrow. I have nearly finished the assembly of the outlet cone for the 70mm jet. My plan is to make the prop version next.

Xplane, check out your pm box.
Got it and replied! Thanks!

Best,
Tony
Apr 28, 2010, 09:40 PM
EB-66C Team Member
B-29er-That is going to be one cool edf jet! Now, just knock out a Have Blue and Tacit Blue, then you'll have a great experimental stealth fleet! I'll take one of each!

Best,
Tony
Apr 29, 2010, 08:18 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
f117 lookin one looks so sweat, and so does the b-29er in designing nice work
May 07, 2010, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
UPDATE!!
Here's how it stands on this project

Body work is done for the 70mm setup. I am working on the task of putting in bays for the landing gear. The bays are a little more than an inch wide, but they should hold the gear in. The landing gear system is going to be designed to be magnetic in removable bays, so it will be sturdy enough to support the aircraft, but you will be able to switch between retractable gear and a belly lander in a matter of seconds (the plugs will also be magnetic). I am also designing the NACA vent setup right now so the EDF gets enough air.

Stay up to date, the plane should be done in 2-3 weeks.

Along with this release date will be a thrust vectored prop setup, for those acro flyers out there.
Nov 11, 2010, 10:08 AM
Interesting work. Has the project been completed? If so I would be interested in seeing it. Also, where do you fly at? I live just south of you in Port Orange.
Nov 11, 2010, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
The design hasn't been completed. Ran into multiple road blocks. I fly in michigan, I am just in daytona beach while attending ERAU.
Feb 08, 2011, 07:04 PM
I live in Mi. too and know how it gets here. Show us what you have so far. I'd like to see it fly also. Thanks

Quick Reply