Jul 31, 2011, 12:43 PM
Suspended Account

so what retracts will be used on this f-20?
Is that possible to use some kinds of e-retracts on it?
Air retracts seems to be unreliable, a PIA

to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2011, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't say they are unreliable. the fact that they've been used for donkey's years would attest to that fact. are they a PITA?...........yeah, I hate air retracts. LOL. in most cases, I would say that e-tracts are more likely to be unreliable, as most tend to break something after numerous uses. I think that is slowly changing and they are getting better, but we're not quite there yet. in a few years, it's possible that air retracts will be a thing of the past and/or still available, but in smaller quantities. e-tracts will become much better, cheaper and more readily available than they are now. air is a thing of the past.
Jul 31, 2011, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
We are making the wing thickness very close to scale.

The retracts hard points are being designed for the SAPAC air retracts.
(other air "micro" retracts will work. but we've had great success with the SAPAC's. The Scale struts that we are using are also the SAPAC's and lend themselves to the F-20 very well. They are designed to be used with the SAPAC retracts.

Air retracts work very well when set up properly.
Using a needle applicator bottle. inject one teeny drop of 10 weight silicone oil (RC car stuff) into the cylinder at the air port, and put another drop on the rod and cylcle. Do this with the operating valve and the inupt valve as well. Your retracts should now hold air for a day or more.
There are two other brands of micro iar retracts that i'm aware of.
The "I-max" cheapy brand thaat I hade in my BD-5 leaked at talmost all he fittings (fitting to cylidner jiont)
There is another brand that forget the name of right now. but they cost about $70 more than the SAPACs

I've seen a guy who put Eflite 10-15 retracts on SAPAC Viperjet. The are too big and protrude from the bottom of the wing. Not exactly scale, the gear sticks out when retracted, and forget using gear doors on the mains.

The electric retracts have not really come into thier own yet. Most have plastic trunnions and toher plastic parts that will crack after a few rough landings.
You hear all the time about guys saying keep it simple. Don't use an extenal BEC cause it's another point of possible electrical failure. Well, if you think about it. Many electric retracts have 3 electronic controllers that could fail.
Latest blog entry: Updated blog - Oct 2017
Jul 31, 2011, 06:11 PM
Classic jets rule
i agree with gary the sapac are working well ,i had Maps in there but the cly are about .5mm smaller and are weaker ,so the sapacs are the way to go ,these struts are the best,ive seen ,plus they make a brakes for them too.plus the sapac Struts that gary offers look very scale on the F-20. i herd a rumor somewhere that sapac may electricify there air retracts ...so that is why we are recommending Sapac gear for this plane.
Jul 31, 2011, 06:55 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
There is growing interest in thios project from down here as well. Mostly from the speed guys rather than scale. J
Jul 31, 2011, 07:54 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC
We are making the wing thickness very close to scale.

The retracts hard points are being designed for the SAPAC air retracts.
(other air "micro" retracts will work. but we've had great success with the SAPAC's. The Scale struts that we are using are also the SAPAC's and lend themselves to the F-20 very well. They are designed to be used with the SAPAC retracts.

Air retracts work very well when set up properly.
Using a needle applicator bottle. inject one teeny drop of 10 weight silicone oil (RC car stuff) into the cylinder at the air port, and put another drop on the rod and cylcle. Do this with the operating valve and the inupt valve as well. Your retracts should now hold air for a day or more.
There are two other brands of micro iar retracts that i'm aware of.
The "I-max" cheapy brand thaat I hade in my BD-5 leaked at talmost all he fittings (fitting to cylidner jiont)
There is another brand that forget the name of right now. but they cost about $70 more than the SAPACs

I've seen a guy who put Eflite 10-15 retracts on SAPAC Viperjet. The are too big and protrude from the bottom of the wing. Not exactly scale, the gear sticks out when retracted, and forget using gear doors on the mains.

The electric retracts have not really come into thier own yet. Most have plastic trunnions and toher plastic parts that will crack after a few rough landings.
You hear all the time about guys saying keep it simple. Don't use an extenal BEC cause it's another point of possible electrical failure. Well, if you think about it. Many electric retracts have 3 electronic controllers that could fail.

nowadays, most electric retracts has metal trunions, metal gears.

if air retracts are reliable then we should not ask more than that :-(
Any thing that works and reliable is fine, just fine.

Last edited by tweeter1; Jul 31, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Jul 31, 2011, 08:19 PM
what's the price on this bad boy gonna be, or haven't decided that yet?
Jul 31, 2011, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7
what's the price on this bad boy gonna be, or haven't decided that yet?
Hi Rich,

"Full" composite airframe
Ailerons
full flying Elevator
flaps
retract ready
$379
Latest blog entry: Updated blog - Oct 2017
Jul 31, 2011, 08:54 PM
ooooooooh, that's a great price, considering planes like that OK models A-4 is around that and it's not even half the model. great price point.
Aug 09, 2011, 05:44 PM
Well the bully's came out on the H thread. I am sorry that I "invited AA" into the pit. That was not intended.

I have not flown the H so I need to limit my comments. If anything, it shows that SAPAC had the right formula with quality glass EDFs. The H is just another one late to the show. It has become another Chevy V Ford battle over there.

Anyway, the point of the post, is that there is real hunger for a great performing EDF. having the ability to install what ever you like to power it is a huge advantage.

Imagine the thread on that subject when it comes. J

PS. Any chance to do a CF version if I send the cloth??
Aug 18, 2011, 01:23 PM
Classic jets rule

inch by inch

a little progress i got the hatch molds done and laid up a part .now on to the canopy plug for vacuum forming .
ps i painted the canopy in the mold
Aug 18, 2011, 04:11 PM
Still Screamin'!
Save some canopy plastic for me now eh That was a big sheet but I know it goes fast building all this custom stuff
Aug 18, 2011, 05:30 PM
Classic jets rule
i have to hide it from Brent ..he has used most of it
Aug 18, 2011, 05:37 PM
Very Nice !
Aug 18, 2011, 05:39 PM
Classic jets rule
big push now to get the fuse and wing molds done .

Quick Reply