Apr 24, 2010, 01:30 AM
Never fly an A model anything!

F-20 Drawings and Data

I have posted the link below with Gary's permission.

Apart from my disclosed interest, i am sure we can all get some enjoyment out of learning more on a great subject that should never have been canned.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1233490
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2010, 02:06 AM
Soggy Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
...guys like me that are more dangerous to themselves with a knife than the subject.
LMAO I feel your pain, J, sometimes literally

Lately I've progressed on to gluing myself to the subject though...
Apr 24, 2010, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
I have posted the link below with Gary's permission.

Apart from my disclosed interest, i am sure we can all get some enjoyment out of learning more on a great subject that should never have been canned.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1233490

Ha ha, thanks J, but I've been having with off topic fun photos of trout and camping. We'll get back on track soon.

Hope this becomes "Thee place" for F-20 specs and photos. It will be useful to anyone interested in it.
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Apr 24, 2010, 02:43 AM
I like it very much.
Apr 24, 2010, 07:44 AM
F-OFF
Hi guys, Thought I'd show a couple pics of my giant f20 project. It isnt a scale fuse just a sport scale type altho I'm working on a more scale version in cad.

Looking forward to see how your 70mm f20 flies! I might have to get one

Shane.
Apr 24, 2010, 07:52 AM
Effumall
Hey, nice small intakes!
Apr 24, 2010, 11:59 AM
Soggy Scotland
Hi Shane, excellent build you have going there, makes me want to go and do some balsa bashing of my own!!
Apr 24, 2010, 10:28 PM
deltas are cool
Ed your drawings are right on this SW f-20 ,,,where is your cg? i dont see it on the drawings. these are very helpful for making templates for the ducting .i like the airfoil too . the wing span might be short the full sale had 26.8 or 27 foot WS. im reserching if that was with the missle rails or not
Apr 25, 2010, 02:36 AM

Air Sally

Hey, good news.
The taileron bearings will be in at Skyworld in about 5 days. I asked Dave to mail them to ASAP.
G
Apr 25, 2010, 02:56 AM
deltas are cool
Yeah Gary that is good news as i need them and it also shows that Sky World are going to give good customer service . man you should see how small a scale wing is . when i get a chance in the next couple days i'll call you about some dims and specs on the sapac gear ....i have HETs but i would rather use what you are selling so your customers can do one stop shopping.started making templates for the "Y" ducts ,then i have to see what i want to do for the adaptor "center duct".
Apr 25, 2010, 03:14 AM
No BS .....I put the HETs in my F-35. they are MUCH bigger. too big for this jet. (They are for a 7lb max jet) Also, those things were sloppy right out of the box. I've mentioned before that the SAPACS look like clones of the MAP retracts. Maybe I'll post a pic of them side by side tomorrow. They work fine on the L-39 which is larger than the F-20, and they lift the scale gear with no prob. The SAPAC nose retract has a spring steel centering spring as well.
Apr 25, 2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Ed your drawings are right on this SW f-20 ,,,where is your cg? i dont see it on the drawings. these are very helpful for making templates for the ducting .i like the airfoil too . the wing span might be short the full sale had 26.8 or 27 foot WS. im reserching if that was with the missle rails or not
Well I haven't flown it of course to verify but using the wing to the center of the fuselage plus the LEX/LERX and the fuselage up to the radome line I come up with a 25% cg of 58mm from the leading edge of the WING at the root (where a balsa leading edge would intersect with the fuselage side if there was no lex....from the intake it would be 175mm on my drawing. 30%cg would be 72mm from the aforementioned spot, or 187mm from the front of the intake.

I think the 3view I used was from this book I've had since the early 80s, World Air Power, or maybe it was from Janes All The World's Aircraft.
Apr 25, 2010, 07:06 PM
deltas are cool
i think F-20's due to the LEX and the nose the C/G is just behind the lex to wing break ....thats where Sky world has theres and i believe Brents F-5 he did had the same place.
Apr 26, 2010, 02:33 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Roger, are you going to maiden with fixed gear??

I reckon this model is light enough to hand launch. J
Apr 26, 2010, 11:40 AM
deltas are cool
well im not sure it depends ....but the madien will have the stock wings .the gear depends on if i can get something that fits, i have HET but Gary says the Sapac unit's are better so if i can get some sapacs i would do retracts.