Apr 20, 2010, 10:20 PM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobby City's EPO 3d-Hawk

Well, I bought one of these when HC put them up on their website.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11339

The Price I thought was good with the inclusion of motor ESC, prop and prop saver and added bits and pieces. Like most things we buy from the net the price of the item is great its the postage that can be the killer.

Anyhooo here's my review of the 3D Hawk.

EPO 3D Hawk.wmv (2 min 25 sec)

3 Hawk (2).wmv (1 min 47 sec)

W/Span - 650mm
Fuse length - 720mm
Flying weight - 210 - 220 grams
Servos . 2X 5gram, 1X 9 gram ( towerpro )
Motor C20 2050 kv / 8X4 prop
ESC 10 amp

It came double boxed . Upon opening the Box everthing was in plastic and neat and tidy. No damage . Even comes with Chinnese/English instruction sheet in color . The instructions are basic but work in well with the color Picy's. You can see them in Post 9

Now what was in the Box ?
The 3D Hawk EPO airframe, C-20 2050 kv motor, Engine mount, 8X4 prop, prop saver' Double sided Tape, Adhesive tape ( Like Blenderm for hingeing ailerons etc), all the stickers to make it look nice, all linkages ( control rods, wire prebent, shrink tube, control horns ) and a 10 amp ESC.

For my part I added 2 x 5gram servos, 1 X 9 gram servo for the ailerons and an Assan 4 channel Rx. I used a 800 mah 2 cell Batt for the maiden. For Batt power anything from 500mah - 800mah 2 cell would be fine.

Assembly. It goes together quite quickly and easily. I used CA and acelerator for the most part but also used a dab of hot glue around the motor mount and wing area. Once finished the weight W/O electronics ( airframe only ) was 71 grams. Weight with electonics was 156 grams without Batt. All up with Batt 200 grams final weight.

Please Note, on the instructions it says a 7035 prop included but an 8040 was supplied with the Kit. Have tried both and I like the 8040 that was supplied.

The 3D Hawk in flight. Well, it flies and flies well. Does all the tricks. So it was a thumbs up .

Conclusion - Well in conclusion it looks and flys Great. The 3D Hawk went together easy, all the Bits and Pieces that where supposed to be supplied where. It had instuctions in Color and in English which is a good thing. The motor/prop and Esc supplied work fine. The stickers make it look nice, and the EPO foam so far is standing up to my abuse. so for the price, its a thumbs up.

The only thing I added was a 2mm carbon spar for the wing. I think it definately needs it. I have also tapped the nose with Blenderm Tape for strength. A Groovejet idea that works well.

My CG is 56mm from Leading edge of wing or 17cm from front of Fuse.

Heres some pics and hopefully I'll have a video up shortly.

If you made it this far Thanks for reading my review .

Bx
Last edited by Boxhead; May 10, 2010 at 07:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2010, 09:41 AM
Suspended Account
How does this fly?
Apr 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
Suspended Account
Looks like it would be nice to paint.
Hows the aileron movement? Looks to me by the design that it might be better to assemble with the wing upside down, so the aileron servo pulls on the hinge line. Only bad thing about upside down mounted aileron servos.
Apr 22, 2010, 02:43 PM
Suspended Account
Really? I have not noticed that.
Apr 22, 2010, 07:17 PM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
PP4. Mate it flys really well. I'll have to pull my finger out with the video.

Dan, I dont know how it would go painting the EPO. It has a greasy feel to it. Might be some info on here on how to prep it for painting. I just used the stickers provided. The aileron movement I've found to be fine. The rolls are good.

I've tried using a 450mah 2 cell Batt with the setup up provided this morning and only got 3 1/2 min run time with it. I have been also using 800mah 2 cell batt and have been getting a run time of between 5 - 6 min. So the C20 might be a bit hungry on juice. I've read that the 19 gram turnigy motor is a lot better for power and run time on 2 cell than the C20 provided. Might stick one in and see.

Video is up in Post 1

Bx
Last edited by Boxhead; Apr 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM.
Apr 23, 2010, 05:02 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpie4
Really? I have not noticed that.
Maybe those hinges are double bevelled, can't tell from the photo, but it does make a difference, in movement, deflection, and speed.
Apr 23, 2010, 06:10 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Dan, the hinges aren't double bevelled. Just single bevelled.

Bx
Apr 23, 2010, 10:31 AM
Suspended Account
The hinge tape was already done or you have to do it yourself?
Apr 23, 2010, 05:12 PM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Dan, it comes as a flat pack. All hingeing is done by you. Hingeing tape is supplied in kit. I used my Blenderm tape I had on hand instead off the supplied tape. Also here's the Instruction sheet that come with the Kit. I had to scan it in 3 parts.

Bx.
Last edited by Boxhead; Apr 23, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Apr 28, 2010, 04:46 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Well I thought I'd swap motors over and see how the Hawk performs. I replaced the C20 with a 19gram Turnigy Motor still using the same ESC and 800mah Battery. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6547

I put a 8043 prop on it and it flew well. I have no motor data figures but the little Turnigy seems to have the same maybe a bit more grunt and the flight duration is longer than the C20. So it seems both motors work well with the Hawk. Its a great little plane to leave in the car so when an opportunity arises just whip it out and have some fun.

Bx
Last edited by Boxhead; Apr 28, 2010 at 04:52 AM.
Apr 28, 2010, 05:29 AM
Kostas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead
Well I thought I'd swap motors over and see how the Hawk performs. I replaced the C20 with a 19gram Turnigy Motor still using the same ESC and 800mah Battery. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6547

I put a 8043 prop on it and it flew well. I have no motor data figures but the little Turnigy seems to have the same maybe a bit more grunt and the flight duration is longer than the C20. So it seems both motors work well with the Hawk. Its a great little plane to leave in the car so when an opportunity arises just whip it out and have some fun.

Bx
Hello
I'm building this model and I'm in a serious thinking of changing the motor with the one I've already have:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8619

I saw your video and I believe the stock motor is power enough. (very good flight )
Do you know which motor is?
Also can you tell me in which position did you put the rudder and elevator servos? (Distance from the from of fuse)
I saw that your CG is 56mm do you think that it needs any change. Is it tail heavy or nose heavy? The manufacturer doesn't points the CG.
I've already 3 610mAh Rhino from your review I think I'll have about 4.5 min of flight time too small.
Thanks
Apr 28, 2010, 07:05 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
kst, mate this is the motor that comes with the Kit. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6634

The motor you have mentioned I reckon will do really well. The specs look good and it has good write ups in the discussion thread on HK.

The picture below shows where I have put the servo's in the fuse. By reading about your motor I think you might get a little bit more flying time than what you think you will. Only flight testing will tell what you will get. With the 19gram Turnigy motor and 800 mah 2 cell battery I got 10 mins flying time and with 450mah 2 cell I got about 5-6 min flying time this morning.

The CG I have put up maybe if anything tail heavy. But it gives you some where to start. Adjust to suit your flying style. Hope this helps and I wish you luck.

Bx
Apr 29, 2010, 12:48 AM
Kostas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead
kst, mate this is the motor that comes with the Kit. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6634

The motor you have mentioned I reckon will do really well. The specs look good and it has good write ups in the discussion thread on HK.

The picture below shows where I have put the servo's in the fuse. By reading about your motor I think you might get a little bit more flying time than what you think you will. Only flight testing will tell what you will get. With the 19gram Turnigy motor and 800 mah 2 cell battery I got 10 mins flying time and with 450mah 2 cell I got about 5-6 min flying time this morning.

The CG I have put up maybe if anything tail heavy. But it gives you some where to start. Adjust to suit your flying style. Hope this helps and I wish you luck.

Bx
thanks Bx
I'll post mine motor results when I'll finish.
May 01, 2010, 02:17 AM
Reap the wild wind
Shame on you Box for not building a 3D model from plans! I've only recently finished Leadfeathers Yak55
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...64237&page=137. Mine is the one in post 6828 & 6856. Like yourself, I'm now finding a use for my left thumb other than the go lever. Sure does nice flat turns.
I noticed the HK offering after I started my Yak build. It looks to fly really well. You could try Multiplex primer on the foam if you want to add more colour.
Head
May 01, 2010, 03:29 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
SHAME.... SHAME you say Headlesss....Hahahahahahahhaa Well let me tell you fella ....... Hahahahhahhahahahahahha

Mate if you have a look at page 250 Post 3744.... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post12977092 Ah their it is, my LF Yak. Its a definate Ball Tearer, Head. It put me on the right track to teach my left digit that it wasn't their for its looks. Still have it and fly it regularly. She's a beaut.

The HK Yak is very similar almost identical to Leads Yak. And Leads Yak was here first ....Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. The HK Yak is made from EPO and Leads Yak is from EPP. Thats about it as far as I can see. I still look into the Scratchbuild most days. Good to hear from you mate

Bx
Last edited by Boxhead; May 01, 2010 at 03:37 AM.

Quick Reply