Thread Tools
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:18 PM
Maddmax is offline
Find More Posts by Maddmax
Registered User
No thanks, I've already come up with a fix.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:48 PM
Dkumagai is offline
Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
For those of you folks that were skeptical and said this couldn't be done, I did it again. Ripped the top of the fuselage completly off, split the wings in half, slintered the cf spar and broke the body almost in half behind the engine nacelle. I was practicing an outside loop when something went terribly wrong. Plane came apart at the bottom of the loop and nosed in full throttle into the ground from about 50 feet up. I even broke the prop!!! I think if it wasn't for my extensive strengthening with cf rods throughout the plane, it would certainly have been toast. Got the plane home and started the repairs right away. It's almost completely repaired already and will be flying shortly. The motor I use is a Himax 2815 and a 6x4 prop. At full throttle at the bottom of the loop I know it was hauling butt!! I know what some of you will say, that these planes are not meant for aerobatics. True, but what fun is it just to fly around in circles??? Besides, these crashes constantly give me insight as to the weak points and where I need to strengthen them even more.

First off, holy hell! If I were to guess it would have taken 10-15 Gs to break that part of the fuselage. I considered reinforcing this part of the plane, but opted against it believing it was strong enough and that there aren't many anchor points here for cf. How fast do you think you were going at the bottom of your loop?
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:49 PM
Eagle202 is offline
Find More Posts by Eagle202
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I just thought. I have a video I posted on YouTube of the last guy I taught. This is his first flight. He takes the controls at about 1:50. You can tell because the throttle starts to move a lot. "Dude! Leave the throttle alone!" I took the transmitter back several times, you can kind of tell where. But eventually he was able to keep it and putter around pretty competently. Fun! View in 720. Nice #11 camera.

http://youtu.be/bjkUXDtQJc0

Wait. Have I already posted this here? Am I getting senile?
Well I for one have not seen the video before. Or maybe I and getting senile too and forgot

What a great place to fly. Looks like an old airfield without any buildings. Good place to train too. Can't really hurt anything or anyone except for the bystanders that don't duck.

Anyway it was a good video.

Vince
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:53 PM
Limited flyer is offline
Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
No thanks, I've already come up with a fix.
You must be CRAZY!! I'd do that deal in a heart beat
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:54 PM
Eagle202 is offline
Find More Posts by Eagle202
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
For those of you folks that were skeptical and said this couldn't be done, I did it again. Ripped the top of the fuselage completly off, split the wings in half, slintered the cf spar and broke the body almost in half behind the engine nacelle. I was practicing an outside loop when something went terribly wrong. Plane came apart at the bottom of the loop and nosed in full throttle into the ground from about 50 feet up. I even broke the prop!!! I think if it wasn't for my extensive strengthening with cf rods throughout the plane, it would certainly have been toast. Got the plane home and started the repairs right away. It's almost completely repaired already and will be flying shortly. The motor I use is a Himax 2815 and a 6x4 prop. At full throttle at the bottom of the loop I know it was hauling butt!! I know what some of you will say, that these planes are not meant for aerobatics. True, but what fun is it just to fly around in circles??? Besides, these crashes constantly give me insight as to the weak points and where I need to strengthen them even more.
Wow Max. Looks like you hit a guillotine or flying sword. Amazing the wings stayed together yet came off the fuse.

A couple of rubber bands (big ones) and some glue and that baby will fly again.

Vince
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:15 PM
Fugitive_Bill is offline
Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Fugitive_Bill's Avatar
Lafayette,

What's your story? Have you got a secret wing reinforcing technique you want to patent?!!
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:22 PM
Maddmax is offline
Find More Posts by Maddmax
Registered User
Not sure how fast, but can only guess maybe 90-110mph??? Or more??? The wings actually did break but it's hard to see in the picture. The main spar actually broke and splintered and ripped the wings along the spar line on each wing about 4 inches!!! It's almost back together now. Funny thing was that I already had this part of the plane reinforced horizontilly withcf rods, but just pulled way too many g's for this bird. Once it's rebuilt, I'll try it again and see how she handles the new mods. I'm actually surprised the nose didn't cave in from the impact. Guess my reinforcment in that area works.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:26 PM
Lafayette is offline
Find More Posts by Lafayette
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Lafayette's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Lafayette,

What's your story? Have you got a secret wing reinforcing technique you want to patent?!!
Not at all. We are all here for the benefit of the community...
Problem comes up? We can solve it with wits and perseverence,
Some of us try harder than others I guess, but just the same, we are here for one cause, the greater good of this comunity, to share, to help the next guy from making the mistakes we all did, and for those who just take and do not contribute: Keep on popping your top off!!!!
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:33 PM
Fugitive_Bill is offline
Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Fugitive_Bill's Avatar
No, I wasn't having a go at you, it just seemed to be a secret experiment you wanted him to do and the results to be posted later.
But since he turned the offer down, what was/is your wing treatment?

Rider: Like you said, you would not want the idea to be a dud when someone has $500 of FPV gear on the plane and goes in nose first.
But on the other hand if I had $$ of FPV video gear onboard I would NOT be doing outside loops with a Bixler! (With #16 Keycam would be ok though)
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Feb 09, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:03 PM
Lafayette is offline
Find More Posts by Lafayette
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Lafayette's Avatar

Yep! So would I...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
You must be CRAZY!! I'd do that deal in a heart beat
Limited flyer, you are right!
Contributing to the community, accepting a challenge as a gentleman is what it is about, !!!
Next chapter please!
I tried, to stop the nonsense, to come to a resolution, to make peace..., To offer to the "heretic" a sensible resolution as to preserve the integrity of RCgroups, A chance to shine, to be part of something bigger than him... and what this all about...
Some ego's appetites cannot ever be satisfied...
AND NO, I DO NOT WANT A FREAKIN' T'SHIRT!!!
LIMITED FLYER, if you are in the Cont Us I will send you the same deal free if you respect the requirements. Are you Game???
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:14 PM
Prof100 is offline
Find More Posts by Prof100
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Just Velcro'd it to the nose. Be sure and balance your prop with a sensitive balancer! I use the magnetic Du-Bro.
+1, ditto, what erkq said.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:06 PM
Lafayette is offline
Find More Posts by Lafayette
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Lafayette's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
No, I wasn't having a go at you, it just seemed to be a secret experiment you wanted him to do and the results to be posted later.
But since he turned the offer down, what was/is your wing treatment?

Rider: Like you said, you would not want the idea to be a dud when someone has $500 of FPV gear on the plane and goes in nose first.
But on the other hand if I had $$ of FPV video gear onboard I would NOT be doing outside loops with a Bixler! (With #16 Keycam would be ok though)
I know, Fugitive_Bill you are cool, man, just that it is getting very frustrating to try and help, membersMadd... keep on posting irrelevant posts, refuse to help, even if the ticket is paid for....???
No secret experiment, just common sense mods, this can be solved easy, and I just gave a chance to Madd to take me up on it... My dime....
Just thought that my 2 pennies were worth at least 1 penny of his! As a graduate from Embry Riddle, with a bachelors in aero science...and aeronautical engineering, ............I try to contribute...
How about if we were to do FPV flights, and do an oustide loop safely, without breaking anything and have it on "film" for posterity's sake, safely...?
I have limited $, and I want to make the best of it, and if another can save a few $ by avoiding mistakes based on what I post, I will be happy and satisfied...
AND NO! I DO NOT WANT A "T" SHIRT!!!
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
Limited flyer is offline
Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
Limited flyer, you are right!
Words, balls, honor, class, contributing to the community, accepting a challenge as a gentleman is what it is about, some of us have none of the above!!!
Maddmax is off my books, talk, talk, talk, no balls , no glory, no contribution, just verbal diarrhea...
Next chapter please!
I tried, to stop the nonsense, to come to a resolution, to make peace..., To offer to the "heretic" a sensible resolution as to preserve the integrity of RCgroups, A chance to shine, to be part of something bigger than him... and what this all about...
Some ego's appetites cannot ever be satisfied...
AND NO, I DO NOT WANT A FREAKIN' T'SHIRT!!!
Some of us were not breastfed and it shows!!!
LIMITED FLYER, if you are in the Cont Us I will send you the same deal free if you respect the requirements. Are you Game???
Glad you offered but i am in western CANADA. Sorry i can't do it.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:27 PM
Lafayette is offline
Find More Posts by Lafayette
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Lafayette's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Glad you offered but i am in western CANADA. Sorry i can't do it.
So do you speak French or have French blood in you???
Answer truthfuly!!!
Si oui, je t'enverrai le mod pour tester, si tu supporte l'ideologie des groupes, le benefice de la communaute...I will pay for parts & shipping to you in Canada...
Game???
I do talk the talk and I do walk the walk... Huuuu... what was his name?..... Huhh,
so forgetable, but I know one thing or two, could not talk the talk and could not walk the walk...
Limited Flyer, I will honor my offer. Please PM me with your coordinates.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:29 PM
Lafayette is offline
Find More Posts by Lafayette
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Lafayette's Avatar
...
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 04:09 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 23, 2016 10:41 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 59 Mar 23, 2016 09:10 PM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM