Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:44 AM
Prof100 is offline
Find More Posts by Prof100
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
That's probably WAY too much for me then. I'm not sure what my thrust to weight ratio is right now, but I would like to be around 1:1. I don't know if I'll keep this SS as a standard flyer or if I'll convert it for fpv, but you're probably right about the 2510 being better suited for a heavyweight setup. I'll just give the 2505 2535kv a shot.
The 2505 2535 kv Microdan is plenty of power. Vertical performance is beyond what I can comfortably see using a 6x4 APC sport prop. That is it keeps going up until I can't tell orientation. The only quirk is setting the esc to match the motor. With a Hobbyking 40 amp I had to use high timing. Stock timing would create this god awful screeching sound when I advanced the throttle.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:20 AM
Maddmax is offline
Find More Posts by Maddmax
Registered User
I'm using a 40A ESC.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
Prof100 is offline
Find More Posts by Prof100
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Those Turnigy programming cards work on some other makes of ESCs such as 'Hobby wing' I don't know what the other ones are and I don't know what harm would it would do to no comparable ones.
FYI, Hobbyking makes many of the turnigy esc's.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:03 AM
Dkumagai is offline
Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
FYI, Hobbyking makes many of the turnigy esc's.
The turnigy line of escs are actually rebranded hobbywings or perhaps vice versa. I lost my manual and found a hobbywing manual online that was nearly identical aside from the names of the escs.

http://www.hobbywing.com/upload/manual/ESC_e.pdf

Sorry dead link, I think this is the same manual http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...r37p3lDx4v7npw
Last edited by Dkumagai; Jan 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:06 AM
Dkumagai is offline
Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The 2505 2535 kv Microdan is plenty of power. Vertical performance is beyond what I can comfortably see using a 6x4 APC sport prop. That is it keeps going up until I can't tell orientation. The only quirk is setting the esc to match the motor. With a Hobbyking 40 amp I had to use high timing. Stock timing would create this god awful screeching sound when I advanced the throttle.
Are you using a plush or sentry out of curiosity. I have a 40 amp sentry and it's been great. I'm sure either works.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:24 AM
IFlyRCs is offline
Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
ICrashRCs
I have this CNC mount in hand and it's supposed to work on the SS.
This will allow up to 8" props.
http://www.smallpartscnc.com/easy%20...djustable.html

I'm not really looking for max speed. Just a fun(quieter) sport plane.
I just like the way the SS flies and it's size.
Although I am strongly considering clipping the wings.

Anybody have thoughts on whether this mount would work on the V4?
I'd like to order a V4 for the better wing attachment.
I have a V3 kit here ready to build.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
Prof100 is offline
Find More Posts by Prof100
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
The turnigy line of escs are actually rebranded hobbywings or perhaps vice versa. I lost my manual and found a hobbywing manual online that was nearly identical aside from the names of the escs.

http://www.hobbywing.com/upload/manual/ESC_e.pdf

Sorry dead link, I think this is the same manual http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...r37p3lDx4v7npw
Hobbyking doesn't make anything, they just buy from factories and manufacturers. The "Bixler" is by J Power and it is a re-decaled Skysurfer.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:57 PM
Prof100 is offline
Find More Posts by Prof100
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
Are you using a plush or sentry out of curiosity. I have a 40 amp sentry and it's been great. I'm sure either works.
I am using the non-Sentry Hobbywing 40 amp switchmode BEC ESC.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:06 PM
Maddmax is offline
Find More Posts by Maddmax
Registered User
I used that engine mount on my V3 and it fits nicely. I have a V4 scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

I tried clipping the wings on mine and made straight wings. It didn;t end well!!! I could never get it to fly without a lot of diffuculty. After numerous crashes, I ended that experiment.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:13 PM
Dkumagai is offline
Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
I have this CNC mount in hand and it's supposed to work on the SS.
This will allow up to 8" props.
http://www.smallpartscnc.com/easy%20...djustable.html

I'm not really looking for max speed. Just a fun(quieter) sport plane.
I just like the way the SS flies and it's size.
Although I am strongly considering clipping the wings.

Anybody have thoughts on whether this mount would work on the V4?
I'd like to order a V4 for the better wing attachment.
I have a V3 kit here ready to build.
It could work, though I don't think you would be able to attach that cylinder to the motor mount. You would have to glue it into the motor pod and hope it holds. Honestly I don't think I would feel comfortable with a motor that didn't bolt into the mount on a v4. I actually don't like the v4 wing attachment method, I didn't want to have to fiddle with screws every time I had to remove the wings. Im using magnets and friction and it takes a lot of force to pull my wings out (about 15 lbs or more it's such a tight fit). I did a few moderate g maneuvers over the weekend on my maiden and the wings didn't budge.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:35 PM
ajbaker is offline
Find More Posts by ajbaker
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar

Let 'er rip


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
<SNIP>.................................
Sorry if that was a bit long winded, but in short I would enjoy the SS for what it was primarily intended for, modest speed and gliding.
But, it is very OK to go for max speed, too, if you want to go for it. This thread is intended for just about any mods you might want to make. Right now, the only thing that we separate out is FPV. There is another GREAT thread by "ilovefpv" that addresses FPV in depth and detail (when I start FPV again, you can find me there). Bring on the speed!!
AJ
P.S. VERY nice pictures. Do you have any videos to share?
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 30, 2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:51 PM
IFlyRCs is offline
Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
ICrashRCs
Thanks guys,
Now I'm a bit leary of clipping the wings and after watching that plane on the motor page, I may not need to.
Cripser rolls would be nice...
But then it may loose too much of it's floatiness which is a lot of fun too.
Kind of going for the best of 3 worlds here lol.

hmm, Might go for flattening the wings.They'll probably never get completely flat.
That could be the best compromise.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:31 PM
Dkumagai is offline
Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
But, it is very OK to go for max speed, too, if you want to go for it. This thread is intended for just about any mods you might want to make. Right now, the only thing that we separate out is FPV. There is another GREAT thread by "ilovefpv" that addresses FPV in depth and detail (when I start FPV again, you can find me there). Bring on the speed!!
AJ
P.S. VERY nice pictures. Do you have any videos to share?

I can post a short video of my maiden. And regarding the speed issue, I'm all for maxing out the SS which is why I'm interested in upgrading my motor. But as far as making this a speed demon, it's not that going to get up too far past 60-70 MPH IMO. Though I am impressed with the stock performance on a 6x4. I pulled a couple nice large loops during my maiden so even in relatively stock form it has decent vertical.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:54 PM
Dkumagai is offline
Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Thanks guys,
Now I'm a bit leary of clipping the wings and after watching that plane on the motor page, I may not need to.
Cripser rolls would be nice...
But then it may loose too much of it's floatiness which is a lot of fun too.
Kind of going for the best of 3 worlds here lol.

hmm, Might go for flattening the wings.They'll probably never get completely flat.
That could be the best compromise.
You'll probably keep your float by flattening the wings but you'll probably run into some wing rock at lower speeds, possibly in general. My little extra with flat short wings has a bit of wing rock when performing high alpha and when at near stall speeds. Those curled tips act as dihedral and dramatically help to stabilize the aircraft.

For what purpose do you want to modify the wings? If you want a smaller aerodynamic profile you would need to cut them down, but I'm not sure there would be much gain in flattening the wings. It may make it more aerobatic but likely much less stable.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:23 PM
ajbaker is offline
Find More Posts by ajbaker
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Thanks guys,
Now I'm a bit leary of clipping the wings and after watching that plane on the motor page, I may not need to.
Cripser rolls would be nice...
But then it may loose too much of it's floatiness which is a lot of fun too.
Kind of going for the best of 3 worlds here lol.

hmm, Might go for flattening the wings.They'll probably never get completely flat.
That could be the best compromise.
Buy another plane and go over the top with mods. I have 2 Skys's (started with 3) and I am feeling like I need one more just for that reason. Ask Prof100 his experiences, too. I am sure he has at least 2 planes (being an old guy, I keep forgetting how many he has - He told me probably 3-4 times). But, Hey..... Let me put it out as a question to everyone on this thread -----
How many SkyS/Bixler planes do you have flying???
AJ


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 23, 2016 10:41 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 59 Mar 23, 2016 09:10 PM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM