Nov 12, 2010, 05:44 PM
You down with EPP?
Got my motor so I am ready to start the build.

If you glue the whole thing together, which I suppose is the recommended method, how are you supposed to replace the motor?

I want to think this out before I glue anything.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2010, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
glue it with 60second epoxy which is more rubbery so that it will be easier to remove it.. I will glue the aileron servos that way so I will change them with HXT900s later on
Nov 12, 2010, 06:14 PM
Argue for your limitations
Thread OP

Motor mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon
glue it with 60second epoxy which is more rubbery so that it will be easier to remove it.. I will glue the aileron servos that way so I will change them with HXT900s later on
Not a good idea for motors. I use 60-sec epoxy frequently. It will not stand heat at all. The first time the motor heats up to "hmmmmm..... that feels hot", the motor will come loose and turn violently in the mount and if the wires don't twist out, the motor will go all the way through the mount and tear up the nacelle. For me, I have used double sided scotch tape for every pusher plane that I own (with one UMM exception) and it works great for me. I am going to ask 2500GENE what he thinks about maybe using blue goop or ???. He has pretty good experience with that stuff. 2500GENE-You around here somewhere?
AJ
P.S. Here is a post that 2500GENE made referring to using goop -> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1426
Last edited by ajbaker; Nov 12, 2010 at 06:22 PM.
Nov 12, 2010, 06:19 PM
Thread OP

Motor mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
Got my motor so I am ready to start the build.

If you glue the whole thing together, which I suppose is the recommended method, how are you supposed to replace the motor?

I want to think this out before I glue anything.
You might want to consider construction a UMM (Universal Motor Mount) that is explained on Page #1 - see Post #4 & #5 for a few different ways to do it.
AJ
Nov 12, 2010, 06:21 PM

I need help!

I finally got my Brushless RTF Sky S to the point where i tried to install electronics and had to give up on it. The minimal instructions that came with it for final adjustments and switching on say:

1. "switch on the transmitter making sure that the throttle stick and throttle trim tab is in the throttle off position (fully down). Centralize all the other trim tabs."

2. "insert the flight battery into the radio bay and connect the battery to the speed controller. You will hear three beep meaning that all is working well."

I have done that and hear one beep then a Rattling sound that seems to come from the rudder servo. The rudder servo does seem to operate but is "jerky", the elevator servo operates correctly, and the motor seems to work correctly. However the aileron servos do nothing.

The transmitter is the one Prof100 showed on p48,post #706 and I have tried the binding procedure from AJ on post #717 with no effect.

I bought the RTF version because I am totally new to RC airplanes and thought it would be the easiest way to get a start. I didn't want to have to figure out how to build an airplane from scratch but guess that may be my next move. Maybe some day I will be able to tear this POS apart and make it work!

Disgusted, Disappointed and Depressed

Bob
Nov 12, 2010, 06:31 PM
Thread OP

Troubleshooting Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A

I have done that and hear one beep then a Rattling sound that seems to come from the rudder servo. The rudder servo does seem to operate but is "jerky", the elevator servo operates correctly, and the motor seems to work correctly. However the aileron servos do nothing.

Disgusted, Disappointed and Depressed

Bob
I totally understand your perspective. We have all been there. You will get through it. I promise. We are all here to help.
Having said that, I suspect that your aileron (ch 1 on your plane-I think) is in plugged in backwards in the receiver. Here is what I suggest. Put the aileron plug (now in channel 1) and move it to channel 4 (you said the rudder worked). Make sure all the plugs have the same colors and directions as the other plugs that work. Turn on the system (obvious). Do the ailerons work now? If not, then you might have the aileron servos plugged in backwards into the "Y" connector that they gave you with the plane. Check those things out and let me know what happens. You are very close to having it ready to fly, I can feel it already. There is nothing wrong with the radio or the receiver (probably). It is just a matter of getting the cabling sorted out. BTW-If you get any of the plugs in backwards, do not worry. You cannot burn anything up. The whole R/C radio is designed that way. Oh, another thing on binding. If ANYTHING works, then your binding procedure has been done correctly. It is a totally on/off thing - either all of it works or NONE of the system works. I hope all this helps. Let us know.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Nov 12, 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Nov 12, 2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I totally understand your perspective. We have all been there. You will get through it. I promise. We are all here to help.
Having said that, I suspect that your aileron (ch 1 on your plane-I think) is in plugged in backwards in the receiver. Here is what I suggest. Put the aileron plug (now in channel 1) and move it to channel 4 (you said the rudder worked). Make sure all the plugs have the same colors and directions as the other plugs that work. Turn on the system (obvious). Do the ailerons work now? If not, then you might have the aileron servos plugged in backwards into the "Y" connector that they gave you with the plane. Check those things out and let me know what happens. You are very close to having it ready to fly, I can feel it already. There is nothing wrong with the radio or the receiver (probably). It is just a matter of getting the cabling sorted out. BTW-If you get any of the plugs in backwards, do not worry. You cannot burn anything up. The whole R/C radio is designed that way. Oh, another thing on binding. If ANYTHING works, then your binding procedure has been done correctly. It is a totally on/off thing - either all of it works or NONE of the system works. I hope all this helps. Let us know.
AJ

Ok, I unplugged all 4 connectors from the receiver, then plugged the y-cable connector into channel 4. Ailerons still don't work and the Tx doesnt beep at all either.

What do you mean by plugging in the aileron sevos "backward"? (I assumed that the brown wires on both ends of the connector should align)

Thanks

Bob
Nov 12, 2010, 06:52 PM
Suspended Account
I'm gonna use an AR6200 clone
do I need a Y lead or should I mix the ailerons with the auxiliary??
Nov 12, 2010, 07:06 PM
You down with EPP?
Quote:
Either way. I am using AR6200. I will probably plug them separately and dial up some spoilerons. I plan to catch mine on landings.
Nov 12, 2010, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Ok, I unplugged all 4 connectors from the receiver, then plugged the y-cable connector into channel 4. Ailerons still don't work and the Tx doesnt beep at all either.

What do you mean by plugging in the aileron sevos "backward"? (I assumed that the brown wires on both ends of the connector should align)

Thanks

Bob

Update--I plugged everything back in the way it was before and followed the startup procedure again--now nothing works and no beeps. Maybe I messed things up by trying to re-bind?

Think I will mothball this thing and try a scratch build

I'm a 3D RC pilot for sure--(disappointed, disgusted and depressed)

Bob
Nov 12, 2010, 07:23 PM
Thread OP

need more info

Quote:

Thanks

Bob
Put the rudder in channel 1. Did it work?
AJ
Nov 12, 2010, 07:25 PM
Thread OP

Oops. New deal on the table.

Quote:
Update--I plugged everything back in the way it was before and followed the startup procedure again--now nothing works and no beeps. Maybe I messed things up by trying to re-bind?

Think I will mothball this thing and try a scratch build

I'm a 3D RC pilot for sure--(disappointed, disgusted and depressed)

Bob
Unfortunately, probably. Try it again. Put it together exactly like you did the first time. If you put ch3 in backwards, it WILL NOT bind. I will make you a deal - If you be patient with you, I will be patient with you. Deal??
Oh, if you can send me a picture of the receiver end, we could get this handled quicker.
AJ
Nov 12, 2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Unfortunately, probably. Try it again. Put it together exactly like you did the first time. If you put ch3 in backwards, it WILL NOT bind. I will make you a deal - If you be patient with you, I will be patient with you. Deal??
Oh, if you can send me a picture of the receiver end, we could get this handled quicker.
AJ
I have a picture of the receiver with the connectors attached now but haven't figured out how to get it on here. (You may be getting your patience tested more than you realize!) All 4 connectors are plugged into the receiver with contacts facing toward the red connector.

Thanks (some more)

Bob
Nov 12, 2010, 08:03 PM
Why so serious?
Quote:
I have a picture of the receiver with the connectors attached now but haven't figured out how to get it on here. (You may be getting your patience tested more than you realize!) All 4 connectors are plugged into the receiver with contacts facing toward the red connector.

Thanks (some more)

Bob
Hi Bob. We're all here to help so don't worry about patience.
While posting, go to advanced, scroll down and hit "manage attachments", then "browse", select the pic file from your HD and "upload". Close the window the "submit" and poof...its in your post.
Nov 12, 2010, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Either way will work. If you want to set up any aileron differential with the radio then use the two channels. If not, then a Y works fine. It's your call.

On my first Skysurfer I setup aileron differential, two position spoilerons and two position flaps by mixing and slaving. So, I use both channels for ailerons and flaps plugged into the gear channel. Don't ask me how I programmed the DX7, I still have a headache.

Quick Reply