Dec 19, 2011, 11:49 AM
Occupying RCG
There's one less, I just ordered mine.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2011, 12:18 PM

My small contribution

Just started reading this and other E* & clone threads, as I've ordered a Hawk Sky RTF. On the first page the tip on a Deans separator tool caught my eye -- I could use that. But then laziness took over and I accomplished it in a much simpler (to me) way. Sorry no pics, but it isn't complicated.

I simply drilled a 1/16 hole across the mating surfaces, half in each piece. Now I take a nylon floss pick (it's tapered) and just shove it in the hole, separating the halves. Far enough to loosen them anyway.

To drill the hole accurately, I used the same disc-type cut-off tool he used to groove a starter notch on both plugs. When I plugged them together, the groves become a shallow pilot hole. Be sure to keep the connectors mated with pliers or something when drilling, or the drill bit will push them apart.
Dec 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
Maidened my PNP yesterday. The servos that come with the ARF are really garbage. Bad centrering, vibrate like mad trying to get into position...

The plane flies awesome but trimming it is a pain as trim changes constantly. Considering replacing all servos. The ones on the fuselage seem pretty straightforward to pry off but how about the ones on the wings? has anybody tried to replace them yet?

BTW: my removable tail section mechanism worked like a charm...
Dec 19, 2011, 02:00 PM
RVA
RVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74
Just started reading this and other E* & clone threads, as I've ordered a Hawk Sky RTF. On the first page the tip on a Deans separator tool caught my eye -- I could use that. But then laziness took over and I accomplished it in a much simpler (to me) way. Sorry no pics, but it isn't complicated.

I simply drilled a 1/16 hole across the mating surfaces, half in each piece. Now I take a nylon floss pick (it's tapered) and just shove it in the hole, separating the halves. Far enough to loosen them anyway.

To drill the hole accurately, I used the same disc-type cut-off tool he used to groove a starter notch on both plugs. When I plugged them together, the groves become a shallow pilot hole. Be sure to keep the connectors mated with pliers or something when drilling, or the drill bit will push them apart.
I too saw the same video, made me a couple. Work awesome for Deans. Question: They are also billed to be able to work with XT60, correct? Well, perhaps my brain is not functioning correctly but I don't see it working due to the physical nature of the plugs, i.e. the male/female flanges overlap and thus don't separate the same. Don't know where to drill the separation holes? What am I missing?

For those that don't know what op is taking about, see here for the tool in question...
Dec 19, 2011, 02:06 PM
RVA
RVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA
BH Kits also seem to be in stock now. No telling what version you get. (pics are V1 but their RTF is V2/V3/v4 (whatever))

link

Tis' the season to have options!
Last edited by RVA; Dec 19, 2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: link added.
Dec 19, 2011, 02:10 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
Just had 2 great flights with exception of an accidental touch and go, and asomehow I loast the nut for the rudder control hhorn! I dunno where it is, hopefully ace hardware has one.
Dec 19, 2011, 02:44 PM
Argue for your limitations
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgiff
AJ any opinions on weight?
23.0 oz. to 27.5
AJ
Dec 19, 2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA
I too saw the same video, made me a couple. Work awesome for Deans. Question: They are also billed to be able to work with XT60, correct? Well, perhaps my brain is not functioning correctly but I don't see it working due to the physical nature of the plugs, i.e. the male/female flanges overlap and thus don't separate the same. Don't know where to drill the separation holes? What am I missing?

For those that don't know what op is taking about, see here for the tool in question...
The original tool pries the connector apart using a pin in each piece, so would work with the XT60. But neither hole can be in the "overlap" section.

My simple method won't work with that "shrouded" design.
Dec 19, 2011, 04:01 PM
AMA16634...Just Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74
The original tool pries the connector apart using a pin in each piece, so would work with the XT60. But neither hole can be in the "overlap" section.

My simple method won't work with that "shrouded" design.
Take a look at my blog.....it works for all the connectors I tried it with and Harbor Freight made it cheap....
Dec 19, 2011, 04:37 PM
Shots of my maiden at sunset:

Sky Surfer at Sunset (2 min 26 sec)
Dec 19, 2011, 04:40 PM
RVA
RVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner
Take a look at my blog.....it works for all the connectors I tried it with and Harbor Freight made it cheap....
exactly what I was after. Turns out I just needed to expand my mind (and the distance of the holes!) -Ryan.
Dec 19, 2011, 05:32 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker

The P51 Bixler

Just thought id share some pics of my latest Bixler build.

Ill start by saying, I have had four easystars, but i have recomended these Bixlers for some freinds that are just starting out. Seem a bit lighter then the EZ* but not as well made.... but still are a nice plane and an ideal trainer.

I have built two for freinds, and just finished this one off.

Replaced the servos from the start, and did a few small mods.

The guy who owns it originally brought a huge 1600mm FMS P51 for his first plane, but i have talked him into this one!
He loves his war birds so i decided to paint it up for him.. and it will make it look different from the other two at our feild...still to add some finishing touches to it like some nose art and numbers... but it is looking fine!

Its amazing how some paint can transform a plane and it no longer looks like "just another Bixler".
Dec 19, 2011, 05:37 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvV FANG Vvv
Just thought id share some pics of my latest Bixler build.

Ill start by saying, I have had four easystars, but i have recomended these Bixlers for some freinds that are just starting out. Seem a bit lighter then the EZ* but not as well made.... but still are a nice plane and an ideal trainer.

I have built two for freinds, and just finished this one off.

Replaced the servos from the start, and did a few small mods.

The guy who owns it originally brought a huge 1600mm FMS P51 for his first plane, but i have talked him into this one!
He loves his war birds so i decided to paint it up for him.. and it will make it look different from the other two at our feild...still to add some finishing touches to it like some nose art and numbers... but it is looking fine!

Its amazing how some paint can transform a plane and it no longer looks like "just another Bixler".
That looks great! But 7 point stars? Chinamerica air force I presume.

Ted
Dec 19, 2011, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli
Shots of my maiden at sunset:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3zKAK__I50
For a maiden flight that was really very nice and smooth. Great job.

Oh and the sunset was a great background to fly against.

Vince
Dec 19, 2011, 08:59 PM
Formerly bUd~Fokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted
That looks great! But 7 point stars? Chinamerica air force I presume.

Ted
Ooo well spotted!!
Nah lets call it the AusUs star lol....

I brough a Southern Cross (the constelation on the Australian Flag) sticker set to put on one of my planes .... but decided it would be used in this build ....the blue circles and lines were cut from the same set!

Quick Reply