Sky Surfer - aka Bixler See Post #2 & #3 for parts & mods B4 asking - Page 769 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Dec 16, 2011, 07:16 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
Ok I just got my bixler today, stock PNP version, I put the turnigy ae-30 esc in, got all the wiring hooked up and done, binded to receiver, programmed the esc for throttle positions, servos conrol ok, but the motor just jitters... I dunno what is going on and why it will not spin... it's free spin is very jittery feeling to it even...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2011, 07:21 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat
Ok I just got my bixler today, stock PNP version, I put the turnigy ae-30 esc in, got all the wiring hooked up and done, binded to receiver, programmed the esc for throttle positions, servos conrol ok, but the motor just jitters... I dunno what is going on and why it will not spin... it's free spin is very jittery feeling to it even...
You may have a bad connection between the esc and the motor in one of the 3 wires , possibly at the bullet connectors.
With the prop off and with motor power on some, move the connectors around until it smooths out. Then fix it.
Dec 16, 2011, 07:34 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
Yeah I figured it out was a connection, BTW what direction should the motor spin? Clockwise or counter clockwise when looked at from the rear of the plane (dead on looking at motor and prop)
Dec 16, 2011, 07:41 PM
Space is the answer
ozair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE
Geometries are very similar. The EZ has no ailerons and a smaller rudder that needs to be enlarged. The EZ's foam isn't as smooth as the SkyS but thicker and seems a bit softer. Never weighed either one but the EZ seems heavier.
Gene, what gets me here is the difference in CG between the two planes if they are so similar, 60mm compared to 78mm, any apparent reason for this? In your opinion which has the better flight characteristics or are they both pretty much on par?
Dec 16, 2011, 07:44 PM
Space is the answer
ozair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat
Yeah I figured it out was a connection, BTW what direction should the motor spin? Clockwise or counter clockwise when looked at from the rear of the plane (dead on looking at motor and prop)
Clockwise for the stock prop, counterclockwise for a pusher prop. when viewed from the rear of the plane.
Dec 16, 2011, 07:58 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair
Clockwise for the stock prop, counterclockwise for a pusher prop. when viewed from the rear of the plane.
Usig 6x4E
Dec 16, 2011, 08:01 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
My motor is currently spinning counter clockwise
Dec 16, 2011, 08:05 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat
Yeah I figured it out was a connection, BTW what direction should the motor spin? Clockwise or counter clockwise when looked at from the rear of the plane (dead on looking at motor and prop)
Whichever way that makes the prop you have blow air to the rear. Not trying to be a smart @$$ here. Well, maybe just a little. But that's actually how I do it.
Dec 16, 2011, 08:16 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
rofl this is the most obvious choice .
Dec 16, 2011, 09:30 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
Not tryin' to be a smartass either, but really curious. Can you not just look at a prop and deduce the way it has to spin to function correctly?
And from which, one should know how the motor must spin.
This is something that just escapes me, how people can miss that. It really amazes me.
Dec 16, 2011, 09:31 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44
Not tryin' to be a smartass either, but really curious. Can you not just look at a prop and deduce the way it has to spin to function correctly?
And from which, one should know how the motor must spin.
This is something that just escapes me, how people can miss that. It really amazes me.
I could but I wanted to make sure.
Dec 16, 2011, 09:52 PM
Bill
HiFlyer371's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill
Those old electric models always used brushed motors, had the RED ESC arming button, 6x to 10x NiMh batteries and NEVER flew - or if they did it was for about 30 seconds!!
I would have to disagree. I've been flying electrics since 1991 (and Nitro before that) and have had flights of well over 20 minutes with Sport Flyers and much longer with powered gliders. A great site to review the history of "Silent Power" is http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/framesefo.html. BTW, "Silent Power" was the name of a column in Radio Control Magazine way back in the 1980's. Before the arrival of brushless motors and Li-Po batteries we had Astro Flight Cobalt motors and Ni-Cads. The Speed 400 series of motors brought Electric Power to the masses at a low cost. What we have now is orders of magnitude better, sort of like comparing a 2012 automobile with a 1950's model. The 1950 Ford would get you there but the ride is a lot nicer in the 2012 Expedition!
Last edited by HiFlyer371; Dec 16, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Dec 16, 2011, 10:02 PM
Registered User
doomracing's Avatar
look at the prop. one side is relitavly straight, and the other is curved. the straighter side is the front of the prop.
Dec 16, 2011, 10:03 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371
BTW, "Silent Power" was the name of a column in Radio Control Magazine way back in the 1980's.
I remember that! What a blast from the past. Thanks.
Dec 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44
Not tryin' to be a smartass either, but really curious. Can you not just look at a prop and deduce the way it has to spin to function correctly?
And from which, one should know how the motor must spin.
This is something that just escapes me, how people can miss that. It really amazes me.
Jay, you really should save comments like that for people like me. It sounds like you're busting on him for not noticing what is obvious to you.
We've all had basic questions before.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 23, 2016 10:41 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 59 Mar 23, 2016 09:10 PM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM