Dec 05, 2011, 02:19 AM

Ready to build!

Finally got all the parts I needed, ready to begin the build now.

Instead of purchasing a 4mm rod and using epoxy to strengthen the original spar, I found a 6mm carbon rod at my LHS and my dad cut it down to size for the wings.

1 bad thing did happen today though, I made a stupid mistake testing the connection of the charging cables and the leads touched briefly. There were a few sparks but thankfully not much else. The batteries were not puffed up or anything and the charger still recognises it as a 3 cell battery. Hope it still flies.

That's all for now, time to get to work on the Skysurfer
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2011, 04:41 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted
Khaled,

I think that the opposite rotation of the two setups accentuate the differences in how your Bix flies between one and the other.

I have a feeling that you don't switch between the two power setups and are using the outrunner with the 8" prop now. If that's the case, your options are to either reduce the amount of right offset you currently have, and/or find a throttle to rudder mix that will damp out that turn tendency. The mix would be easiest.

Good luck, and let us know what you find works.

Ted
Thanks a lot Ted ..

I'll report back... I really appreciate your help you've provided so far .. Thank you very much

Khaled
Dec 05, 2011, 05:33 AM
Serge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_optimistic
There were a few sparks but thankfully not much else.
In my case something like that ended up with not recognition of one cell. After cutting the cover I saw burnt surface of the little board inside the battery. The fix was just throwing a wire across it. I think that board works like a short circuit protection.
Dec 05, 2011, 06:41 AM

Skysurfer built! One last go-around for dual lock wing mod?

Finally got my Skysurfer built! Everything that needs to be glued (except the wings) is held by 5 minute epoxy. I personally don't like the thing as it gets on my fingers and smells horrible... I think I'll try foamsafe CA next time. Does anyone else have a cheaper and more convenient alternative?

I used my dad's hacksaw to cut of the front of the fuselage and removed the cylindrical weight. I didn't do a very good job as the cuts were hideous. Thankfully, looks don't matter in the front as it's wrapped in cross weave filament tape and I ran a whole length of the thing under the fuselage, on the wing tips and stabiliser tips.

I'm preparing to do the velcro wing mod with my dad now, There are quite a few ways to do it, so I'm not sure which one is best.

The 1st is the "Israeli method",
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=177

The other is the more "conventional method, contributed by jrjr
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=201

The last method is the one in this video,
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5302

However, I guess the velcro he used was different, and would be massive overkill (and massively expensive too using dual lock).

How did you also get the prop adapter all the way into the motor shaft? I tried pushing it but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't push it in till it was flush like in the manual and I was afraid of breaking it.
Dec 05, 2011, 06:51 AM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Finally got my Skysurfer built! Everything that needs to be glued (except the wings) is held by 5 minute epoxy. I personally don't like the thing as it gets on my fingers and smells horrible... I think I'll try foamsafe CA next time. Does anyone else have a cheaper and more convenient alternative?

I used my dad's hacksaw to cut of the front of the fuselage and removed the cylindrical weight. I didn't do a very good job as the cuts were hideous. Thankfully, looks don't matter in the front as it's wrapped in cross weave filament tape and I ran a whole length of the thing under the fuselage, on the wing tips and stabiliser tips.

I'm preparing to do the velcro wing mod with my dad now, There are quite a few ways to do it, so I'm not sure which one is best.

The 1st is the "Israeli method",
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=177

The other is the more "conventional method, contributed by jrjr
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=201

The last method is the one in this video,
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5302

However, I guess the velcro he used was different, and would be massive overkill (and massively expensive too using dual lock).

How did you also get the prop adapter all the way into the motor shaft? I tried pushing it but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't push it in till it was flush like in the manual and I was afraid of breaking it.
In the past I have used plain and simple super glue. But on my next build I am going to try UHU POR. I have at times used it for some repairs and it does the job.
On my Bixler for retaining the wings I did it similar to Guys or what you call 'The Israeli method'. The one in the video also looks OK.
Duel lock or Velcro, is cheap on eBay.
Dec 05, 2011, 08:26 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
I like this glue 'Insta-Cure IC-Gel' (pictured)
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8679

I will be gluing my entire plane with the above glue, As for the wings I'm not going to play around with Velcro or rubber bands, as everyone else at the field who has a SkySurfer, Bixler or similar plane finds that after time the wings just become a 'sloppy' fit in fuselage no matter what removable method is used.

I certainly suggest using a 6mm solid Carbon Fibre rod NOT the supplied hollow tube - what where they thinking supplying that thing!?

The wingspan is only 1400mm not exactly a giant, unless it will make it difficult transport the plane, again I'd be 100% gluing 'em in.

As for the stock prop adapter, I can't possibly see anyway of getting on the shaft any further. Why do you want to anyway?

B!LL!
Dec 05, 2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
I had bad luck with both 5 min epoxy and foamsafe CA. The entire fuse split down the middle on my first crash with the epoxy. I redid everything with regular CA and its holding well. Only exception is the motor mount which I hot glued.
Dec 05, 2011, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa
In the past I have used plain and simple super glue. But on my next build I am going to try UHU POR. I have at times used it for some repairs and it does the job.
On my Bixler for retaining the wings I did it similar to Guys or what you call 'The Israeli method'. The one in the video also looks OK.
Duel lock or Velcro, is cheap on eBay.
Ok, thanks. Actually guy himself calls it "the Israeli way" so I though I'd call it that. Is the dual lock much too strong without removing some rows on the velcro first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill
I like this glue 'Insta-Cure IC-Gel' (pictured)
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8679

I will be gluing my entire plane with the above glue, As for the wings I'm not going to play around with Velcro or rubber bands, as everyone else at the field who has a SkySurfer, Bixler or similar plane finds that after time the wings just become a 'sloppy' fit in fuselage no matter what removable method is used.

I certainly suggest using a 6mm solid Carbon Fibre rod NOT the supplied hollow tube - what where they thinking supplying that thing!?

The wingspan is only 1400mm not exactly a giant, unless it will make it difficult transport the plane, again I'd be 100% gluing 'em in.

As for the stock prop adapter, I can't possibly see anyway of getting on the shaft any further. Why do you want to anyway?

B!LL!
Thanks Bill, I'll definitely look up the IC gel for my next build. I also changed the spar for a 6mm carbon rod today. Definitely had a better peace of mind regarding wing rigidity.

Making the wing removable will definitely help transport and especially storage as I live in quite a modest apartment as well. I can see that I'm going to have problems storing the FMS 1.4m warbirds (eventually) after building this Skysurfer.

I thought my prop adapter should go further in as that was how it was depicted in the manual... Maybe I'll go look at some youtube videos and see how people mount their props.
Dec 05, 2011, 11:28 AM
I can give you a heads-up on flying with clipped wings, it's very unstable and hard to fly. I originally clipped one of my wings in a crash, so I cut both down to about 1/4 inch to the aileron. I've taken it up several times over the past few weeks and have had some seriously bad crashes with it since. Yesterday was the final crash with this bird and I started building a new one. The only mod I'm doing now is I'm using wings from a Dynam HakSky. The major diffrence is the wings don't flex as much as the SS wings and the ailerons are closer inboard towrds the fuselage. I'll be using a 4mm rod as main spar and am using 2 additional 2mm rods for extra strength. The body has also been reinforced with rods throughout for a nice crash resistant flyer. I was going to use this an my FPV plane but decided to go with the new Raptor composite plane for those flights.
Dec 05, 2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax
The major diffrence is the wings don't flex as much as the SS wings and the ailerons are closer inboard towrds the fuselage.
Are the ailerons any bigger? If not, the roll rate will be even slower than the already slow original.
Dec 05, 2011, 03:54 PM
Argue for your limitations
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44
Not addressing that issue, but.......
In every - repeat EVERY photographic showing of the motor's thrust angle I've seen (mine is centered, remember), it points off to the right of the airplane's direction of travel. We have some who say this angle is by design - including one who states & maintains adamantly this IS 'by design' and the offset is for the purpose of countering the prop's 'p'-factor, or whatever.

When I was taking the thrust readings I published (plane nose-down on the scale with wings removed), I noted the plane's tendency to twist, ie roll left against its direction of travel, and was somewhat surprised at the amount of torque in this direction -- especially on the 4x6 prop, it became a chore to hold it steady!

My questioning of this as a "design" would be, if it's indeed to supply side-thrust to counter or correct this rotational effect, why doesn't it point the thrust toward the plane's left, in other words, angle the motor's thrust off to the left against the torque effect, opposite of what it does, which only promotes the leftward rolling?

Ya see?

Yeah yeah yeah, I know...."Just go fly the dang plane & don't worry 'bout the physics".....
The airfield don't open 'til 1pm, all my LiPo's are charged up, & I'm out of coffee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr
Thanks Starhopper .. .. The good is thing that I still can fly it with no problem .. so it's not that urgent .. and thank God I don't have to readjust the motor angle and deal with all the mess I'll have to do with a dremel or a soldering iron to get red of all that epoxy .. ... I think I'll fly it as is .. until I have to...

Khaled
THe simple answer -> Since the thrust adjustments are behind the CG, just reverse what you would do for a tractor airplane (where the thrust adjustments are in front of the CG). i.e. If you want more upthrust, tip the front of the motor down. If you want more right thrust, rotate the motor anti-clockwise (when viewed from the top of the plane). The simplest answer is the easiest to remember. The short answer -> Do whatever you would do with a tractor airplane - just reverse the procedurel. KISS.
AJ
Dec 05, 2011, 05:36 PM

Receiver?

I bought a RTF Sky Surfer about a year ago from BH. It came with a Blitz MC4DF transmitter. Does anyone know of another source for a receiver that works with this TX other than BH? I want to scratch build a cheap foamie for indoor without having to buy another Tx or mess around changing the original receiver back and forth.

Thanks,

Bob
Dec 05, 2011, 06:17 PM
The ailerons on the Hawksky wings are longer. My friend flies the Hawk but his fuselage is a lot narrower than a SS. The SS body is a lot beefier but the wings ssuck, so I just used the Hawksky wings on the SS. They fit nice and snug.
Dec 05, 2011, 06:53 PM
I've recently been able to fly LOS with an onboard camera by the beach I live 9 blocks to. If you guys have any tips/comments regarding getting better shots or just wana celebrate with me on my first flight feel free to share on the video.

=D
Dec 05, 2011, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax
The ailerons on the Hawksky wings are longer. My friend flies the Hawk but his fuselage is a lot narrower than a SS. The SS body is a lot beefier but the wings ssuck, so I just used the Hawksky wings on the SS. They fit nice and snug.
What is wrong with the Skysurfer wings?

Quick Reply