Sky Surfer - aka Bixler See Post #2 & #3 for parts & mods B4 asking - Page 656 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Oct 18, 2011, 09:57 AM
There's magic in those wings !
khaled_abobakr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44
Sounds like it's slightly nose heavy to me.
Don't know your whole rig's setup but, I think you should be able to trim it out by sliding your LiPo back a little. I'd try sliding it back as far as I could get it, maybe program in a notch of up elevator trim & re-check glide. If the 'up' makes it work, set it there with your clevis adjustment so you can re-center your trim button on the Tx.

FWIW, I put 2 different-colored dots under my wing with Sharpie pens, representing 60 & 70mm....and when I went to add another dot for 62mm, it basically just made the 60mm mark look like an '8'. So, I put the 3rd in the center to represent 65mm. My point is, the whole 10mm span ain't all that wide, & if you draw it out on paper to see it visually, the whole span is smaller than the width of your fingertip, which most use to check balance before launching. Ergo, when we're talking 60, 62, 65 & 70mm settings, it's a pretty fine incrementing.

Please let us know how it works out for ya!
Thanks for the tips .. I'll do that and report back my findings .. ..

BTW .. Does the this mean I have to balance my plane using a more accurate way to actually feel the difference of these fine increments .. or you're saying it doesn't matter at all for the CG to be anywhere between 60 and 70 mm form LE.... ???!!

Thanks a lot

Khaled
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2011, 11:26 AM
Space is the answer
ozair's Avatar
Whilst were talking CG does anyone have the Great Planes CG machine?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Great-Pla...item519b698c55

Your comments as to use and accuracy would be appreciated. I just cannot understand why its not suitable for planes under 2 lbs in weight, am I missing something?
Oct 18, 2011, 11:42 AM
Row 0, Seat A
G550Ted's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair
Whilst were talking CG does anyone have the Great Planes CG machine?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Great-Pla...item519b698c55

Your comments as to use and accuracy would be appreciated. I just cannot understand why its not suitable for planes under 2 lbs in weight, am I missing something?
Oz ,

I don't have one but suspect that there is too much friction in the pivots for accuracy when balancing light models.

Ted
Oct 18, 2011, 11:47 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted
Oz ,

I don't have one but suspect that there is too much friction in the pivots for accuracy when balancing light models.

Ted
Doesn't it just balance on the end-points?
Oct 18, 2011, 11:52 AM
Registered User
bicyclemonkey's Avatar
I have the Great Planes CG machine. I used it for a while but went back to using the old finger method. There's almost no friction on the pivots and I've balanced small foamies on it with no problems.
Oct 18, 2011, 11:53 AM
I used to like trees
rchank's Avatar

Sky Surfer - Low and Slow


My grand daughter has been wanting to see Papa fly the "big white plane", so we went out to the wide open countryside a few days ago. It was a bit windy. My wife was taking video but was having trouble following the plane when it was up high. I brought it down low for some fly-bys and enjoyed flying the plane close to the ground.

low surfin' (1 min 39 sec)
Oct 18, 2011, 11:53 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor
This (graphics can't be upgraded) is normal for notebook computers.
True. But, I think his is a desktop.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 18, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Oct 18, 2011, 11:54 AM
The figure "9" Specialist
aeronca's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair
Whilst were talking CG does anyone have the Great Planes CG machine?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Great-Pla...item519b698c55

Your comments as to use and accuracy would be appreciated. I just cannot understand why its not suitable for planes under 2 lbs in weight, am I missing something?
I don't have one but IMHO it is worth the same and no more accurate than a 2x4 with two dowels and slip-on pencil eraser heads on the ends of the dowels.

Aeronca
Oct 18, 2011, 11:54 AM
Row 0, Seat A
G550Ted's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
Doesn't it just balance on the end-points?
It appears to balance on the pads at the top of the support arms. The small, ball tipped "feelers" at the ends of the scaled bars would be used to determine the distance from the pivot (CG) to a reference point on the model such as the leading edge of the wing. I may be wrong, but don't think one would place a 40# model on those tiny balls - ouch!

Ted
Oct 18, 2011, 11:56 AM
Row 0, Seat A
G550Ted's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca
I don't have one but IMHO it is worth the same and no more accurate than a 2x4 with two dowels and slip-on pencil eraser heads on the ends of the dowels.

Aeronca
+1.

Ted
Oct 18, 2011, 11:59 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchank
My grand daughter has been wanting to see Papa fly the "big white plane", so we went out to the wide open countryside a few days ago. It was a bit windy. My wife was taking video but was having trouble following the plane when it was up high. I brought it down low for some fly-bys and enjoyed flying the plane close to the ground.
Nicely done. Well timed. Up close and personal landing. Pay your wife $100 for the video. That is a terrific flying field. What was the switch doing that I keep hearing click on and off?
AJ
Oct 18, 2011, 12:08 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca
I don't have one but IMHO it is worth the same and no more accurate than a 2x4 with two dowels and slip-on pencil eraser heads on the ends of the dowels.

Aeronca
I agree. I have one of those low-tech balancers, too - Fits my needs just fine.
AJ
Oct 18, 2011, 12:17 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I agree. I have one of those low-tech balancers, too - Fits my needs just fine.
AJ
Looks like mine, only I just drove nails through a board. Use it on my Bix and my Slick 51
Oct 18, 2011, 12:26 PM
Space is the answer
ozair's Avatar
Thanks guys, that answers my questions.
Oct 18, 2011, 12:41 PM
I used to like trees
rchank's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Nicely done. Well timed. Up close and personal landing. Pay your wife $100 for the video. That is a terrific flying field. What was the switch doing that I keep hearing click on and off?
AJ
Thanks aj. My wife thinks you're a great guy I'm not sure what the noise was. It may have been the camera strap bouncing off some thing as the wind was blowing it around.

Ah, my flying field. I live in eastern Washington state near Spokane. There are innumerable acres of wheat farms and nobody seems to care if I just pull off to the side of a county road and unleash my planes. Some stop to watch and ask questions. Might win a few people over to the addiction hobby.

There's a nice hilltop flying sight on private land that I have permission to use. I did some slope soaring there one day with the Sky Surfer, but the wind was very erratic and I had to resort to power a number of times. I'll get some video some time when the winds are more favorable.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 23, 2016 10:41 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 59 Mar 23, 2016 09:10 PM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM