Oct 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_wlBdyBgWg
...should give ya some clues.
Great! I guess my question is has anyone used a small diameter rod inside the stock control tubes (I have not split my fuse).

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2011, 04:21 PM
Go fly a jet today

Bixler

Nice video.
Oct 13, 2011, 05:46 PM
Gravity impaired
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee View Post
Has anyone used carbon rod for pushrods in the standard skysurfer ver 2.0 tubes? Seems like this place has sizes that would work

http://www.cstsales.com/carbon_rods.html

If so what did you do for connections? Thanks!
Quote:
Great! I guess my question is has anyone used a small diameter rod inside the stock control tubes (I have not split my fuse).

Thanks.
Seems to me that the stock clear plastic tubes are not straight. Carbon fiber rods are designed to be stiff and not flex so they would not conform to any bends in the plastic tubes. Won't work is what I am saying. Stick with the fine wire that comes with the kit or use your own music wire.
Oct 13, 2011, 05:53 PM
Why so serious?
Quote:
HydroThief , JrJr, & Genie;
AAH-SUM! and Thanx a Million, guys. All others - please no more replies here!!!!!

Gene, RealPlayer destroyed the sound system on my 1st computer, & calling tech help (back when you could get an American Human on the phone) produced an ahole that basically laughed (actually laughed) at my problems & told me the only way to cure was to buy their full pro version. Starting then, & continuing thru eternity, I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire unless I'd been drinking gasoline. So that eliminates that - and them.

I'll try the FFDSHOW thing you suggested -- the sequence you indicate seems to pretty well follow what happened so I'll give it a shot & first see if I can restore THE WMP9 I knew & liked. Funny (meanfully so) thing that happened during all that is the newer WMP wouldn't even play AVI movie format....and that's a steenkin' M-S format! Talk about redonkulus! Anyway, my crap's a little old, but it shouldn't be so old it's going into freakin' Windospause! Pray for me!

And....you other guys, I've already downloaded the VLC app and will be giving that a shot too.

Now, I've erased my OP....you guys please if you would, erase or replace your replies too, to clean up AJ's board. Can't completely delete (if you don't know) but just replace all text with a few periods or a scrap saying "deleted" or something. I'll also delete this after seeing you guys have followed thru.....

And again, HUGE thanks for your help!
~S*H
Bummer about you and RealPlayer. I suppose it was like putting jet fuel in a 66 VW bus.

Ok, I'll make it more on topic.

First of all I use RealPlayer when I watch local SkyS videos.
I think your old WMP use older basic codecs, like a SkyS V1) that your pc could handle. When upgraded it also loaded a newer codec library (like a Bixler) that is taxing your hardware. On the un-install you change the software but not the codecs, like using a brushles esc on a brushed motor. Codecs are loaded with the system, not WMP.
If you were to load FFDSHOW after flying your Bixler on Saturday, it will give you most codecs you need with the option of turning off those you don't just like high and low rates on your TX. It would be trial and error until you got just what is needed and nothing more. Running a older, slower and smaller ram pc (brushed) with video is always tough but possible with most formats though full screen viewing (brushless) may not be possible.
When you view YouTube vids or Vimeo vids of aj's SkyS flying here or on their site you are not using WMP so they are not effected. If you first download then view a vid file of Prof100 crashing into his barn with his Micro Dan motor equipped Bixler, then that uses your default player which appears to be WMP.

Better?
Oct 13, 2011, 06:24 PM
Quote:

Thanks.
I have not seen it done, but if you want go for it.

Bill
Oct 13, 2011, 07:04 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Quote:

Thanks.
Yeahhhh....I didn't come back on that one 'cuz I don't know how the Ver2's rods are routed once they emerge from the fuse....but if they're like the V1 the rudder rod takes a turn upwards to meet the horn, which I doubt you'll be able to achieve with CF.

FWIW, the stock rods back there are .032 music wire, & of course take that curve nicely. If you haven't seen, because the thin gage does overflex a little on left rudder, the prescribed mod is to extend the installed tube with another tube making that upward turn - CF being one way, in effect supporting that wire & keeping it from flexing so much. Stop it where the rudder control horn is flexed fully forward (on right rudder), with a little gap for future insurance. I used a clear tube from a paint spraycan to beef up mine....just butted the end up against the installed tube; a dot of Foam-Tac where it just barely kisses the horiz.stab - holds everything in place; works like a charm.
Oct 13, 2011, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Nice! You must be single.
Me single.. Ha, don't even know what that would feel like... Been with my high school sweetheart for 50 years, married 44 ys.. The kitchen in the picture is our old one that I moved to the basement about 20 yrs. ago when we updated. Has become my second home once she moved me & my planes down there. Not complaining, got my TV, kitchen, batroom, just working on the microwave....
Ron
Oct 13, 2011, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
In the last 6+ years, I have placed over 200 orders (yup - ~3/mo.) using only paypal. I have never had a problem. HK is my money pit. although not recent, here is a sample.
AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
Thanks AJ, since I now know you are able to complete transactions, the problem has to be at my end. I wil check my security settings to see if that may be the root cause of my problem. May have to relax them somewhat..

I too find HK to be a great source for parts/supplies. About 90% of my supplies come through HK, very hard to beat their cost on most items. I would rate them as 5 stars if they could do a little better job on keeping their supplies replenished in a more timely manner... Thanks again,
Ron
AJ, placed another order with HK tonight. Disabled my firewall before starting and the order process & payment went through with no problems. Wanted to share with the group in case anyothers have a similar problem...
Thanks again AJ for helping...
Ron
Oct 14, 2011, 01:49 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Good gosh Ron..I forgot all about this 'thing' & notifying you. Marrafackt, I placed an HK order Tuesday for the EagleTree stuff with nary a hitch, I disabled nothing, & I'm triple layered with firewalls. Go figure.

By the by, just a shot here but, by any chance have you got your browser set to reject cookies? The way their site works, they depend pretty heavily on them.

And while we're talkin' about 'em, there's one thing about HK that I waaaaay don't like - it's how they spam the livin' hell out of you. Everywhere I go on the web, if there's an ad attached to Google (and it's hard not to encounter them), the ad's filled with HK. Even our local newspaper which I read daily....there's a banner ad across the top, down the right margin, & down below by the Comments section, 99% of the time all 3 filled with HK this, HK that, HK you need to check out our LiPos, ESCs or Buy a Bixler! It's gotten downright sickening, & it's one thing I loathe about 'em. Anybody else seeing this crap?
(And I realize that's almost a stupid question.)

Another li'l tidbit....and I'll just put out as a teaser for now -- how many of you have encountered or know of an entity called 'Alibaba'?? You might've seen the news but, we just might be seeing some increased costs in RC (& other) gear bought from China in the near future. Anybody??

Oct 14, 2011, 02:04 AM
Quote:
... And while we're talkin' about 'em, there's one thing about HK that I waaaaay don't like - it's how they spam the livin' hell out of you. Everywhere I go on the web, if there's an ad attached to Google (and it's hard not to encounter them), the ad's filled with HK. Even our local newspaper which I read daily....there's a banner ad across the top, down the right margin, & down below by the Comments section, 99% of the time all 3 filled with HK this, HK that, HK you need to check out our LiPos, ESCs or Buy a Bixler! It's gotten downright sickening, & it's one thing I loathe about 'em. Anybody else seeing this crap?
(And I realize that's almost a stupid question.)
That's ad space. SOMEONE is going to have banners there. It's not like if HK wasn't doing it there'd be no banners, you know. I kind of like being tempted to buy a LiPo battery charger when I'm reading my email. Better than other things, I say.
Oct 14, 2011, 02:54 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
That's ad space. SOMEONE is going to have banners there. It's not like if HK wasn't doing it there'd be no banners, you know. I kind of like being tempted to buy a LiPo battery charger when I'm reading my email. Better than other things, I say.
Ya, I know that....but I kinda liked seeing some other ads in there from time to time, y'know? At first I thought it was kind've cool, or 'cute' seeing such 'displaced' ads where the webpage is such different subject matter -- eg NanoTech ads in the state legislature wrapup. From the frequency you know they're paying Google booster rates for placement. It's just gotten way overpervasive. Kinda like owning a candy store, y'know? Pretty soon & it's lost on you.

Then soon you realize they're aimed at YOU & practically nobody else around is seeing them. And I kinda resent that they're tracking me like that. One price you pay for doin' business with them....and I resent that too. Why hit me so hard & so repeatedly when I'm already doing business with you? That ain't right. They doubtlessly don't realize it, but it's cost them some of my business as a result, too. As some on here know, I do everything I can to order from other sources before ordering from HK in general, or China in specific. Their 'swamping' is one of the reasons why.

That company (that shall remain nameless) I had all the trouble with, & had to take to arbitration with PayPal, & won? Spam the livin' hell out of me, & I've unsubscribed from their mailings 3 times....but they don't stop. I also know they sell your info to other mailing lists. Ask me if that's won any love!!

I'll mention something else here I found out about HK, in that order for the EagleTree gear. You know how at the bottom of your 'shopping cart' it says "You can order ## more weight without more shipping cost"? Then tell me why each time I added an item to my cart, and which was BELOW that weight, the total went up disproportionately! Total with shipping would be eg, $55....I'd add a $10 item to my cart and the new total would show $66.45! It was an overall light order (weightwise) so I could keep it in their 'Express Mail' realm....but apparently the 'free ridealong' element doesn't work with that shipping method. I emptied & chose a different shipping method ('slow boat') & re-added item by item, and at the end the difference came to $11 & change. Of course they never TELL you THAT -- just "Orda moah...we shippee just fine real long time!" I don't care HOW you look at it, that makes the "you can add..." thing just a bald-faced lying ripoff! But what are ya gonna do? Just another price you pay for shopping with our dear dear Chinee buddies.

OK....[/rant]
Told on th' bastids & I feel better now.
Oct 14, 2011, 03:26 AM
Me a long time ago
SH. Yes I also get that banner adds from HK. But I tend to ignore it as if I just don't see them. But if something new appears then I do seem to see it.
I can't knock HK as the cost of their gear is cheap compared to LHS and other on line dealers.
Oct 14, 2011, 06:33 AM
Gravity impaired
Nope don't see many ads...... been using Firefox for many many years with AdBlock plus. That kills most of them.
Oct 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Nope don't see many ads...... been using Firefox for many many years with AdBlock plus. That kills most of them.
+1. I won't have anything to do with IE.

Ted
Oct 14, 2011, 09:16 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
Me single.. Ha, don't even know what that would feel like... Been with my high school sweetheart for 50 years, married 44 ys.. The kitchen in the picture is our old one that I moved to the basement about 20 yrs. ago when we updated. Has become my second home once she moved me & my planes down there. Not complaining, got my TV, kitchen, batroom, just working on the microwave....
Ron
OOHHH!! A REAL man cave. Well, almost. I thought a microwave was priority #1. That's how ya make the -->

Ted

Quick Reply