Mar 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
The desert collection

SS Ver1 Touch and Go's

Here's some Touch and Go's I recorded last week and just got around to posting. Its been some time since I worked with Moviemaker, and utube, so please bear with me. I'm sure I'm not going to get an Academy Award for editing or sound.

Here's the link:
SS T&Gs (5 min 40 sec)

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2011, 10:35 PM
Not Again !!
pretty cool ! hey i might be out their in a week or two I have some friends wintering their .
I have flown at the Yuma field many times and over at Welton . Heck you might know them ,, Nash,, Murphy..Mathis
Mar 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcag
Here's some Touch and Go's I recorded last week and just got around to posting. Its been some time since I worked with Moviemaker, and utube, so please bear with me. I'm sure I'm not going to get an Academy Award for editing or sound.

Jack
Hey Jack, Nice job!
I got a real kick out of the "in coming" camera shot, and I'm interested in your landing gear set-up. It looks like it can take some abuse!
(found the info on landing gear if anyone else is interested) http://www.airscaperc.com/Landing_Gear.php
Thanks for including the landing gear info in your video.
harry
Last edited by moon12; Mar 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: found what I was looking for
Mar 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
The desert collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS
pretty cool ! hey i might be out their in a week or two I have some friends wintering their .
I have flown at the Yuma field many times and over at Welton . Heck you might know them ,, Nash,, Murphy..Mathis
Fred,

I'm pretty much a lone wolf (not to be confused with a chairwolf) I have my own private flying field about 3 blocks from my house at Mesa Del Sol. So I don't know many flyers down here except my uncle Charlie who is more and more going into the electrics. (I gave him a SS Ver.1 for Christmas). Uncle Charlie is a retired IBM pattern maker with the patience of Job. He's been putting his SS together since Christmas and with any luck he may solo it this week. I guarantee that when he's finished, it will be the most perfect SS around.

PM me and I'll give you my cell number when you get into town. I fly every morning (winds permitting) except the weekends.

Jack
Mar 21, 2011, 12:31 PM
The desert collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon12
Hey Jack, Nice job!
I got a real kick out of the "in coming" camera shot, and I'm interested in your landing gear set-up. It looks like it can take some abuse!
(found the info on landing gear if anyone else is interested) http://www.airscaperc.com/Landing_Gear.php
Thanks for including the landing gear info in your video.
harry
Harry,

The spot where I fly is the next piece of land to be developed into a housing area. Thought I'd be kicked off by 2008, but with the housing situation as it is, I think I'm going to be using it for a while longer.

The gear is really tough, I have to use the big tires because of all the dolies (rocks) that I have to land on. I've got two planes set up, the SS and one of my Easy Stars. I've got over a 100 landings on the ES and about half that many with the SS. I got the first set about a year ago for the ES and I wanted to make sure that they could handle the bounces and rocks, which as you can see from some of my less and perfect landings, that they do just fine. I'm going to put another set now on my Rookie! Airscape RC has step by step instructions for the EZ set, and I just adapted that for the SS since they are so close. No trim adjustments at all!

I use a cheap Aiptek camera. This one:http://www.aiptek.com/Camcorders/Dig...SDV2/Features/ This are cheap and really tough. They have an HD model out too, but the battery is internal and it goes dead too quickly.

I hope this helps.

Jack
Mar 21, 2011, 01:46 PM
Hi guys can anyone tell me where I can get a set of Skysurfer wings cheaply in Europe (incl. shipping, since international shipping from banana hobby is killer expensive)? I want to use them on my EZ*
Last edited by msev; Mar 21, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
Mar 21, 2011, 01:56 PM
me n jr at BZE with his C-17
Quote:
Fred,

I'm pretty much a lone wolf (not to be confused with a chairwolf) I have my own private flying field about 3 blocks from my house at Mesa Del Sol. So I don't know many flyers down here except my uncle Charlie who is more and more going into the electrics. (I gave him a SS Ver.1 for Christmas). Uncle Charlie is a retired IBM pattern maker with the patience of Job. He's been putting his SS together since Christmas and with any luck he may solo it this week. I guarantee that when he's finished, it will be the most perfect SS around.

PM me and I'll give you my cell number when you get into town. I fly every morning (winds permitting) except the weekends.

Jack
hi jack, i'm a super newbie. i'm trying to get an idea of how much wind is too much. whats the max wind speed for you and your sky surfer?
Mar 21, 2011, 07:43 PM
Not Again !!
I posted a video flying the SkyS in 30mph winds it did ok / To me wind is an attitude or mental thing it can actually be fun to fly in . Where I live if you dont fly in the wind you dont fly much in a year .
Mar 21, 2011, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Harry,

The spot where I fly is the next piece of land to be developed into a housing area. Thought I'd be kicked off by 2008, but with the housing situation as it is, I think I'm going to be using it for a while longer.

The gear is really tough, I have to use the big tires because of all the dolies (rocks) that I have to land on. I've got two planes set up, the SS and one of my Easy Stars. I've got over a 100 landings on the ES and about half that many with the SS. I got the first set about a year ago for the ES and I wanted to make sure that they could handle the bounces and rocks, which as you can see from some of my less and perfect landings, that they do just fine. I'm going to put another set now on my Rookie! Airscape RC has step by step instructions for the EZ set, and I just adapted that for the SS since they are so close. No trim adjustments at all!

I use a cheap Aiptek camera. This one:http://www.aiptek.com/Camcorders/Dig...SDV2/Features/ This are cheap and really tough. They have an HD model out too, but the battery is internal and it goes dead too quickly.

I hope this helps.

Jack
Thanks for the info Jack...I just ordered the camera and will get a set of LG also. Make sure you post some pics & video of your uncs plane and maiden flight....I really do admire nice work, even tho I'm a hacker myself.
harry
Mar 21, 2011, 07:59 PM
Quote:
I posted a video flying the SkyS in 30mph winds it did ok / To me wind is an attitude or mental thing it can actually be fun to fly in . Where I live if you don't fly in the wind you dont fly much in a year .
ok, thanks.
after i posted my last i flew 3 flights of 10 mins in 10kts.
i guess its like everybody says, you just gotta fly!

can u post the link to your vid?
Last edited by belize pilot; Mar 21, 2011 at 08:04 PM.
Mar 21, 2011, 08:18 PM
The desert collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by belize pilot
hi jack, i'm a super newbie. i'm trying to get an idea of how much wind is too much. whats the max wind speed for you and your sky surfer?
Fred S had the best answer, its a state of mind and also what you, yourself feel comfortable dealing with. For 2 years flying my Easy Stars I didn't go out if it wasn't calm. But here like so many other places, the winds are here all the time. I used to fly at sunrise when there was no winds. Now I go out when its 5-10 MPH, but not gusting. I have a couple of Super Flys which I can fly at any time any place, their that tough. Flying a well trimmed SS in 12mph winds you can make it hover like a seagull. (Remember I said no gusts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon12
Thanks for the info Jack...I just ordered the camera and will get a set of LG also. Make sure you post some pics & video of your uncs plane and maiden flight....I really do admire nice work, even tho I'm a hacker myself.
harry
Harry will do. I need to call uncle Charlie tonight to see if he's going tomorrow. Right now its blowing and howling here so unless things change it might be a stay home day. ( I think AJ left his back door open again) In regards to the camera, if you should suffer a total destruction of the camera (don't ask how I know), for $25.00 and your old camera, they will send you a nice refurbished one. The guys at Airscape RC are really nice to work with and you'll like the setup but again if you are flying off of tall grass or rocks you need the Tundra tires too.

Jack
Mar 21, 2011, 08:24 PM
"Fred S had the best answer, its a state of mind and also what you, yourself feel comfortable dealing with. For 2 years flying my Easy Stars I didn't go out if it wasn't calm. But here like so many other places, the winds are here all the time. I used to fly at sunrise when there was no winds. Now I go out when its 5-10 MPH, but not gusting. I have a couple of Super Flys which I can fly at any time any place, their that tough. Flying a well trimmed SS in 12mph winds you can make it hover like a seagull. (Remember I said no gusts)"

well, i'm forced to fly around buildings that cut up the wind,so i've been flying higher(75ft?) and that helps. and i'm over controlling less.much thanks guys!
Mar 21, 2011, 09:33 PM
Not Again !!
This was a cold day and really gusty the wind was rolling over that fence row and made it turbulent down low , that is snow by the fence .
Windy Day Sky Surfer test (4 min 17 sec)
Mar 21, 2011, 10:27 PM
Quote:
This was a cold day and really gusty the wind was rolling over that fence row and made it turbulent down low , that is snow by the fence .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KziK56SFS_I

aaaaaaaahaha that was sooooo cool! you da man.
btw love me some roxette.
Mar 22, 2011, 04:30 PM
I finally received my HK order! Ordered end of December... The Turnigy 9x took a long time to get back in stock.
I started to build it on sunday, first doing the electrics (bullet connectors and XT60 connector on ESC, 10cm extension with bullet connectors on each side to connect the motor to the ESC, and remove the small bullet connectors on the motor to put some 3.5mm ones). I then moved on to the radio and it was bind already. Building the plane didn't take very long after that.
One question though: I used the foam glue bought from HK to glue the control rods in place. Is that ok or should I use another type of glue (I have super-glue and epoxy)? They look quite steady.

Quick Reply