Sky Surfer - aka Bixler See Post #2 & #3 for parts & mods B4 asking - Page 204 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 16, 2011, 10:46 PM
Registered User
Hello Guys.
Im with a doubt.
I saw some people who used the sky surfer without ailerons for beginner pilots.
He gets a good flight without ailerons?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2011, 11:01 PM
Not Again !!
FredS's Avatar
Very good write up Prof100.. Question though you say can not use internal BEC over 4S ?? ..........................
Mar 16, 2011, 11:06 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS
Very good write up Prof100.. Question though you say can not use internal BEC over 4S ?? ..........................
You can use a switchmode internal BEC ESC with a 4S. Castle (the gold standard) and Hobbywing make them.
Mar 17, 2011, 04:09 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar

Am I missing something?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
You can use a switchmode internal BEC ESC with a 4S. Castle (the gold standard) and Hobbywing make them.
I may be getting in this late. Are you saying that he can't use a linear mode ESC with a 4S (LiPo's assumed)?
AJ
Mar 17, 2011, 06:10 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I may be getting in this late. Are you saying that he can't use a linear mode ESC with a 4S (LiPo's assumed)?
AJ
AJ,

The linear BEC creates too much heat when when stepping down the voltage from a 4 cell.

Bill
Last edited by Prof100; Mar 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Mar 17, 2011, 08:20 AM
Not Again !!
FredS's Avatar
Hmm ? I am flying a plane with 6S Ice 100 and using its BEC for the radio is this wrong ?
Turnigy 4250 650 kv 12x8 apc 1700w @ 65A . I have a castle BEC should I hook it up ?
Sorry for being off topic ..
Mar 17, 2011, 08:32 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
You can use a switchmode internal BEC ESC with a 4S. Castle (the gold standard) and Hobbywing make them.
I've also seen some internal SBEC ESC units from Mystery and some identical ones rebranded as Hextronik or HobbyKing, both on HobbyKing's website. I think their first one is a 40A and not sure how many others are available.
Mar 17, 2011, 09:53 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS
Hmm ? I am flying a plane with 6S Ice 100 and using its BEC for the radio is this wrong ?
Turnigy 4250 650 kv 12x8 apc 1700w @ 65A . I have a castle BEC should I hook it up ?
Sorry for being off topic ..
The Castle has a switchmode BEC but I don't know what Castle recommends in terms of running it on 6S pack. It all depends on the rating of the BEC. I run a Hobbywing ESC with internal switchmode BEC on a 5S powered Habu. It works fine but does need plenty of air for cooling.

Go to Dimension Engineering and look up their FAQs. They explain the differences in types of BECs quite well.
Last edited by Prof100; Mar 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Mar 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar

I want to buy a vowel.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
AJ,

The linear BEC creates too much when when stepping down the voltage from a 4 cell.

Bill
creates too much ?????. Heat?
AJ
Mar 17, 2011, 11:27 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
creates too much ?????. Heat?
AJ
Ooops, speed typing. I usually just leave out the articles.
Mar 17, 2011, 11:49 AM
mmerry2 on Youtube
mike_m2's Avatar

Tail Heavy? try a 2650mAh battery


Quote:
Originally Posted by mastmalang70
have a question , my SS is tail heavy , what is the best way , just to give down trim ,so it fly level or to add weight to nose ??????
battery 220mah 3s ,pushed all the way front ,still tail heavy

what is the easy way to balance the airplane ,is there any DIY balance to do so???????
thanks

Im using telebee gyros for rudder and elevator ,works good
I assume you are meant to say you are using a 2200mAh battery (instead of 220mAh) pushed all the way forward. Instead of adding dead weight to the front to balance it, you can add a heavier battery. I added a 2650mAh 3S on my V1 SkyS. It's all the way forward and it balances better than a Turnigy 2200mAh 3S all the way forward. This won't work for everyone, but if you are having tail heavy problems with a 2200 battery all the way forward, than this can help. BTW, the CG that works on my plane is around 60mm.

Here is the 2650mAh battery I use:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16687
Mar 17, 2011, 01:29 PM
Registered User
D0Z3R's Avatar
Got a questions guys. I'm using the TGS 6x4e prop. I'm getting some vibration that's making flight videos look horrible.

Any suggestions on balancing the prop or is their another prop that you guys recommend that balances better?
Mar 17, 2011, 01:35 PM
Registered User
D0Z3R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m2
I assume you are meant to say you are using a 2200mAh battery (instead of 220mAh) pushed all the way forward. Instead of adding dead weight to the front to balance it, you can add a heavier battery. I added a 2650mAh 3S on my V1 SkyS. It's all the way forward and it balances better than a Turnigy 2200mAh 3S all the way forward. This won't work for everyone, but if you are having tail heavy problems with a 2200 battery all the way forward, than this can help. BTW, the CG that works on my plane is around 60mm.

Here is the 2650mAh battery I use:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16687
Hmm im flying my SkyS with just a 3c 1300 mah and it's balanced fine. But I always have the keychain camera attached. Im wondering why it's so tail heavy with the 2200mah installed...
Mar 17, 2011, 01:39 PM
Not Again !!
FredS's Avatar
Thanks Prof100..
Mar 17, 2011, 01:53 PM
Registered User
Hello Guys.
Im with a doubt.
I saw some people who used the sky surfer without ailerons for beginner pilots.
He gets a good flight without ailerons?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 23, 2016 09:41 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 59 Mar 23, 2016 08:10 PM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 02:36 PM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 01:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 05:28 PM